Computer and Internet Training for Senior Citizens

Many older persons are hesitant to jump into the internet age, despite seeing their children and grandchildren surfing, gaming, and working on computers and using the internet. This is a guide about computer and internet training for senior citizens.

December 22, 2008 Flag

My grandpa wants to learn to use the computer and Internet. Because of my job I do not get enough time to teach him. He doesn't want to go out and take classes. Any other easy ways?

Gloria

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Sorry I can't give you the exact links - but I know that there are senior sites that have computer lessons - Maybe Third Age? or Eons? And you could also go out (or go on the net) & get him a copy of Internet for Dummies - which is an easy introduction.

He should have a lot of fun with it - so encourage him!

Best Answer

Maybe call your local high school. Kids are so smart, and many

teens don't have grandparents. I would bet it would spark interest in a caring teen. Office people at the school may be willing to help you out. Good luck!

I would try "AARP". They have info for everything.

When I got my first computer (windows 98), I didn`t know where the "on" button was. What i found super helpful was the book "Windows 98 for Dummys". I am sure that there is a "Windows XP For Dummy`s" out there. They are written in simple language, are inexpensive and SUPER helpful.

I get packets of your pc made easy. You can order packets online and receive a packet in the mail. They are very helpful.

I have actually seen a book available in catalogs such as Harriet Carter and Lillian Vernon that is like the computers for Dummies series, but is specifically designed for seniors. You might want to check this out. Both companies have online sites.

I agree with the others.. the dummies books are very helpful.

Here is a site for anyone that is learning or needs more information on their operating system

http://thundercloud.net/infoave/

February 21, 2012 Flag

My part time job wants me to get more computer training in both Word Perfect and Excel. They also want me to get letter formatting training. I'm a deaf older lady that has a little over 2 years to work before I can go off SSDI and collect social security. Where can I find free or inexpensive computer software training?

By Ella P.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Only social security can tell you if you qualify for benefits. So why not ask them.

You might check your city's recreation centers. They offer classes in numerous things, usually. Check the library also.

I don't know if Microsoft still does this, but when I needed to add to my skills on their software, I went to their website and used several basic free training modules. I learned a lot about Excel especially that I am still using today.

I'd start on their website for whatever free training they have.

A good place to get a bit of training is actually some of the temporary job placement agencies. You can request to be tested and let them know that you'd like to brush up on your skills. They have programs where you sit down at the computer, take the test and learn new skills in all areas of Microsoft Office. I believe frugalsunnie also had a great idea. I didn't know there were modules online - it may be the same as what the temporary agencies use. It would be good to check both.

Here is a link to the online training: http://office.m  CH010369478.aspx

If you place your cursor over the "support" tab, there is a drop-down list for other areas of Office - such as Excel, Outlook or Powerpoint, etc. Hope this helps and good luck.

If you need help with programs other than office, you might try that program's website for help and support also.

Try the internet. You can find anything on the internet. Step by step training in anything your heart desires.

My county waives credit fees for senior citizens to attend the local community college. Try yours.

There is a wonderful tutorial called lynda.com but it is for the hearing world. I googled "computer training for the deaf" and got this wonderful list, which addresses your situation a bit further down the page.

I hope this helps.

PBP

http://www.ask.  991&gct=serp

August 3, 2011 Flag

I am a senior citizen and have a deep interest in participating in various types of computer based training opportunities. I need this training to be offered free of cost by some social institute whether government or NGO. Does anyone have a suggestion where I can look?

By CK Mehta

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

A good place to start is your senior centers if you have them where you live.

Another option is a willing teenager.I was an early senior when I really started learning.

Good luck and enjoy, Keeper

Many states offer free college courses for senior citizens. I've enclosed a link to a site that lists information for senior education for each state:

http://www.seni  ioreducation.htm

I was in my late forties when I took a two year secretarial course, but any job I had after that didn't allow me to do anything other than data entry, which is basically typing.

Back when I took that secretarial course, computers didn't even have a mouse, and the programs were a lot different, too. I got my first computer about 12 years ago and that was one that I got at a pawn shop. However, what I know now on a computer is what I have taught myself. I am now 71 years old, and am fairly computer literate, all self taught.

I have a girlfriend who just got her first computer last winter, and she hasn't had any up to date training either, and every once in awhile she will call me up and say "guess what I just figured out how to do."

If you have any grand children they cna probably help you out, too. The only time I ask my grandchildren for help is if I have a problem with various of the more modern computer things. For basic computing, you should be able to teach yourself.

A lot of community colleges have those types of programs. You should find your nearest community college and ask around about it.

Try your local library.

There is a site I use all the time and I am 70. She's called the Computer Lady. Check her out at eboston@gwi.net. Or Goggle "Computer Lady". Her name is Elizabeth Boston and she puts it in terms that are easy to understand. Sign up with her to get her lessons. She has really helped me.

Check with your local library. I know our library has computer classes in various subjects. There is a senior class that has yearly fee and other computer classes that are free to anyone, including the seniors. they have computers that you use so it is a hands on experience. But check with your local library is my suggestion. Good luck.

March 25, 2010 Flag

Can someone help me find a free site for senior citizens that can help me to learn how to do more things on my computer?
Thank you.

By Carole from Utica, NY

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have two websites for you to check out. Not knowing what you REALLY want to learn about computers these two sites should give you a few options. http://www.about.com/compute/

http://www.findtutorials.com/ I couldn't get this last one to come up but it could be my connection, it's flaky at best :)

What about Goodwill Community Foundation's GCFLearnFree? http://www.gcfl  g/default3d.aspx

I don't know about sites on net but great sources for

learning about computers are free classes at some libraries, some community colleges, and senior centers.

The Computer Lady has a wonderful site. Sign up and you will receive a newsletter and you can look in the archives for all sorts of question and answers. I hope this helps you. http://www.asktcl.com/

You will 'LOVE' this site! It has several completely detailed tutorials and you can save the full PDF's to your documents for future reference and/or to print out! I've learned oodles for free from here!

http://www.edumax.com/

I know that my senior center has free time for anyone to come in and learn more about using the computer, check yours, maybe it does too!

February 10, 2014 Flag

In New Jersey where can I go for free or low cost Power Point training?

By Sanders

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This may be of some help to you. Power Point is included several among other free tutorials

www.gcflearnfree.org

October 22, 2014 Flag

How can we get laptops and training for seniors, especially those that are disabled or homebound? Is there a grant available for the elderly in Baltimore City?

By Bessie

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Computers SoftwareAugust 18, 2013
cable modem
Having Internet Without a Computer
Two elderly women playing dominos.
Nursing Home Games Ideas
Senior Woman eating lunch after shopping
Saving Money as a Senior Citizen
An upclose photo of a laptop keyboard.
Saving Money on Your Internet Bill
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 17, 2017 at 8:49:11 AM on 10.0.2.91 in 7 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.