Cooking Bacon in the Oven

Category Cooking Tips
Oven cooked bacon on cookie sheet.
Bacon may be delicious, but it is generally agreed that cooking it on the stovetop is messy. This is a guide about cooking bacon in the oven.

I am scared of frying bacon. I know, sounds silly, but I have been burnt by popping grease a few times and I am bacon shy. My husband, showed me this trick shortly after we married. This is how he "fries bacon", in the oven.

Simply separate your bacon strips and lay them on a cookie sheet with sides (to catch the grease). We put ours in the oven at 375 degrees F until done. Watch it, as thicker bacon takes longer and turn it over if needed. Sometimes, it doesn't even need to be turned. Leave it until it is crispy or not, however you like to eat it. No popping grease.

You can still save the grease if you want for biscuits and gravy.

Source: My husband

Crisp, flat bacon. Can make a lot at one time. There is less mess and you can do other things while the bacon is in the oven. The bacon gets really crispy with the grease poured off and stays flat.

Directions:

Preheat oven 450 degrees F. Place parchment paper on pan. Place slices of bacon on pan and place in oven and bake for about 5 minutes. Open oven and pour off bacon grease into a waiting fry pan for eggs or into a grease jar for use later for cooking. From that point on turn bacon slices over with tongs and bake at 3 minute intervals, more or less. Check bacon and pour off grease and flip till desired doneness.

Servings: 4
Time:3 Minutes Preparation Time
20 Minutes Cooking Time

By dna53 from MI

When bacon goes on sale stock up the freezer as it freezes fine. Then when ready to use just thaw it out, place on cookie sheets and bake in the oven on 350 degrees till crisp-no yucky splatters to clean up.

By Melanie

I use my toaster oven to cook bacon. I can make other foods while the bacon cooks and the timer keeps me from burning it!

I use the baking tray that came with my oven and line it with aluminum foil, leaving extra on the front and back edges. I do not spray the foil with cooking spray. I lay the bacon slices on the tray, slightly overlapping one another, so that the "ends" of the bacon can be covered by the extra foil I laid out. I can fit 8-10 slices on my tray.

Fold the excess foil loosely over the ends of the bacon and insert the tray so the foil-covered ends are at the back and front of the oven, rather than on the left and right. The foil over the ends of the bacon keeps the ends from overcooking before the rest of the bacon is done.

Select the "toast" setting and set the temperature to 375 degrees F. I set the timer for 10 minutes, during which time I'm preparing other foods. After 10 minutes, I flip the bacon; laying out the slices so that they no longer overlap. I then put it back in the oven for 5-7 minutes.

Check on the bacon every 2-3 minutes to make sure my timing is right. We like our bacon partly crispy, partly chewy. The time varies depending on the thickness of the bacon and the desired crispness.

By Patti F from Alton, IL

A reader asked if you could bake bacon. Here are the responses we received from the ThriftyFun community. Post your own bacon techniques below.

Cooling Rack in Cookie Sheet

This is the correct way. Take a cookie cooling rack the same size as a cookie sheet. Place cooling rack on top of the sheet and cook the bacon at 350 to 400 degrees F about a half hour. 400 degrees F seems to cook it too fast and you still end up with a lot of oil in the meat. I've done it at 325 degrees F for an hour and it comes out nice too. Good Luck!

By Barry

Start With Cold Oven

Bacon should be put in a cool oven and brought to 400 degrees F, then baked until desired crispiness. The reason is this will help bake the fat out first, then it's simply a matter of cooking the meat that's left.

Jelly Roll Pan

For one pound of bacon: Use two foil lined jelly roll (15 1/2 x 10 x 1 inch) pans (easy clean-up), bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 10-12 minutes. Depending on the type of bacon, the time will vary.

I lay the bacon close together since it does shrink as it cooks. Remove from oven, when bacon is cooling off in pan, I tilt the pan, by carefully using oven mitts or pot holders. I double up with the mitts or pot holders on one end of the pan so the pan is tilted. This way the bacon grease will drain off somewhat. I do this with whatever needs draining from the oven.

Just be careful when handling a hot pan. Remove bacon and drain on a dish lined with paper towels. Refrigerate or freeze any leftovers. Also, whenever I use this method, my smoke alarm will go off. So, I have to crack my kitchen window, and turn on my ceiling fan.

By mkymlp

Check Package Directions

You can bake bacon. That is the only way I do it because I hate being burned by the splattering grease. Usually the directions are right on the back of the package but if not, 350 degrees F for about 12-15 minutes usually does it.

By Corinna

Use Broiler Pan

I put the slices of bacon on my broiler pan, cook at about 300 degrees F so all the grease will fall through the slats in the pan.

By dsbaby14

Cooking Tips

It's simple. 400 degrees 15 minutes. Remember it keeps cooking once you pull it out of the oven. That's the way they do it in restaurants.

By Gary

Sugared Bacon

I place a metal cooling rack (for cookies or cakes)into a foil lined jelly roll pan, and bake my bacon on top of the rack. Fat drips through. For extra yummy "sugared bacon" sprinkle brown sugar liberally on top of bacon before baking at 400 degrees F for 20 mins. Sweet, yummy and delish!

By Theresa

Jelly Roll Pan

Bake in a 400 degree oven on a jelly roll pan. A whole pound will fit on the pan. Keep moving it to not let it stick together. It will cook in about 20 minutes. Works wonderful. Left overs I put in a ziploc bag in the freezer.

By quickcooker

Cookie Sheet Technique

Squish up some aluminum foil, put it on a cookie sheet. Lay out the bacon on the foil, bake at 350 degrees F until it is the crispness you want. The leftover bacon can be put in a ziplock bag for other uses or breakfast the next day.

Enjoy!

By Jose

Be careful of the cookie sheet technique. I actually caught it on fire. The oil collects between the foil and gets to hot or something. However, I use my broiling pan and broil my bacon. It only takes a few minutes, flipping once. You have to keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't singe. I think I try just cooking it in the oven also.

The George Foreman Grill works better for me. Bacon cooks quicker and stays flat. No splatters either!

Tip: I put a larger container under the lip instead of using the George Foreman drip pans.

Hubby was doing the oven method and I showed him my way was quicker. Reluctantly, he had to admit it.

We like the thick bacon.

Our local deli owner taught us to use parchment paper in the cookie sheet...it catches the grease and leaves the bacon nice and crisp.

To the idea of using a cooling rack to keep the bacon out of the fat: Some cooling racks do not have high-temperature welds and should not be used in the oven. There are racks for hi-temp use. Or use your broiler pan.

I do mine at 400 for twenty minutes in a glass baking dish - pie plate, 8x8 or 9x9 works fine for about a 1/2 lb. of bacon per dish. If you're concerned about splatter, place a cookie sheet under the baking dish.

For superior oven cooked bacon, DON'T PRE-HEAT the oven. Place thick strips of bacon on a rack, place in oven. Turn oven to 360 degrees F. The cooking time will be longer because the oven needs to warm up. The longer time gives the fat more time to come out. You will have a crisper, better textured bacon.

Source: just science

By Wayne from Bloomfield Hills, Mi

Answers:

Cook Bacon In Oven For Less Fat

My husband is a Chef and this is how he always does it, especially when he has lots to cook. The general rule is 'it's done when you can smell it'. Start checking at that point and go longer if you like it crisper. (05/02/2008)

By Ashley