Cook Bacon in the Oven

contest winner icon
I am scared of frying bacon. I know, sounds silly, but I have been burnt by popping grease a few times and I am bacon shy. My husband, showed me this trick shortly after we married. This is how he "fries bacon", in the oven.

Simply separate your bacon strips and lay them on a cookie sheet with sides (to catch the grease). We put ours in the oven at 375 degrees F until done. Watch it, as thicker bacon takes longer and turn it over if needed. Sometimes, it doesn't even need to be turned. Leave it until it is crispy or not, however you like to eat it. No popping grease.

You can still save the grease if you want for biscuits and gravy.

Source: My husband

I cook a pound of bacon in my oven, I put brown sugar,and sprinkle black pepper over it, bake at 350 degrees until lightly crispt, about 10-15 minutes. Delicious!

Baked Bacon:
Thick-Sliced Bacon
1 oven-safe cooling rack
1 sheet pan 'with' edges (Its up to you, if you wish to line the sheet pan with aluminum foil for an easier cleanup; I find the pan easy to clean though.)

Place the cooling rack inside the sheet pan. Place bacon strips on the cooling rack (not overlapping). Place on the middle shelf in a COLD oven. Turn on oven to 425F. and set the oven timer for 25 minutes. Youll get flatter strips of bacon with very little shrinkage. Plus, no spatter marks on your clothing or grease burns on your skin.

I recently bought a NuWave 20632 Pro Plus Oven with Stainless Steel Extender Ring and I've been using that to bake my bacon lately. Place the bacon on the 2" high rack and then bake for 16", no need to turn it over halfway through cooking (which you are supposed to do if you are using the 3" rack).

VERY GOOD HINT, I TOO WORRY ABOUT THE FAT AS I HAVE TROUBLE GETTING THINGS FROM THE OVEN, THIS HAS MADE ME FEEL SAFER.

I use a pan that has a lip on it and then the oven is not set at a high temperature in order for the fat not to Splatter on the oven.

Just my luck. I tried this years ago and had to clean my oven.

The inside top was a mess. Maybe when they make a spatter screen to fit a cookie sheet, I'll try it again.

I would rather not have to clean the oven after baking the bacon. A spatter screen for the frying pan might be a lot less work, and help to eliminate bacon burns.

It doesn't splatter, as the baking temps are lower than the frying temps.

I don't eat bacon much anymore, but if I do cook it I do it in the microwave between paper towels. There is no mess and the bacon comes out good,
but your oven bacon probably comes out better.

Your way is the way I cook bacon, now. To me, it's just as good as oven baked.

I really prefer frying bacon in a large pan and using a weight. It all cooks evenly. No half done fat with very done lean.

I often cook my bacon this way, especially if I'm crumbling it or cooking it for use in another recipe. I use a sheet pan with a good lip and a cooling rack placed inside. The bacon grease drips down and is caught in the pan. It turns out great and I've never really noticed a big mess in my oven afterwards.

I also used to use my George Foreman grill for bacon. It would cook both sides at once and the grease would be collected in the little tray. Very quick and easy!