Browsing: Cooking From Scratch

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Cooking From Scratch

When you make the time, money can be saved and delicious foods can be made. This guide is about cooking from scratch.

Cooking From Scratch
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

June 23, 2010 Flag

When our children were growing up we had very little extra money. We got clothes and shoes from the thrift shop and only bought groceries that were on sale. We had barely enough each month to pay our bills. We hardly ever ate at fast food restaurants. All meals were cooked from scratch.

I got a call one day from a man that was in a wholesale food business in Richmond. He told me he could save me money on food every month. I was entering all my checking data into the computer and I told him when I finished I'd be glad to compare with him so I could save money on food.

He called back 2 days later and I had my information written out. He wanted to know how many meatless meals we had and I told him they ate meat every meal. The discussion continued and he finally got around to asking me how much per person I was spending each month. The total came out to $65.00 a month per person. He quickly said "I'm sorry ma'am I can't beat that."

I was a bit bewildered and yet happy that I was among the very few who made food from scratch and saved money.

By Glenda from Gordonsville, VA

Do you have a frugal story to share with the ThriftyFun community? Submit your essay here: http://www.thriftyfun.com/post_myfrugallife.ldml

January 3, 2001 Flag

To be healthy and wealthy never even finish reading a recipe that lists a "box" or "package" of anything. Be a basic cook. Learn the recipes for meat, rice, and vegetable combinations that don't rely on high salt "packaged" soup mixes for their flavor. Give natural flavors a chance. You may find you like them better than the hyped-up boxes and packages you find in "the middle" of your supermarket.

By Nancy

August 11, 2007 Flag

I have a family of 3 and am wondering if cooking from scratch can be financially beneficial for such a small family. I'd love to do it but am afraid it won't be cost effective. I read a lot about cooking and freezing items - do you freeze food in Ziplock baggies or plastic containers?

Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions.

Mary from Gibsonia, PA

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

When stocking up for spices, shop in the bulk section. The stores around me have a lot of basic spices in bulk (garlic powder, paprika, chili powder, pepper corns, etc.) at a fraction of the cost of name brand bottles of spices. I literally save 60-70 percent.

Mary,

Cooking from Scratch can be most beneficial if you work with a group of small families. Many of the members of our church pull together to buy groceries in bulk save various containers to devide the large quanities smaller

To be completely honest, I don't know what I would have done with out recipes. I find my husband eats more healthy, and he actually enjoys how much we save. We have a fixed amount for food and since I started full meals, we can actually make it to the end of the month without going over. And my husband is a very picky eater. So I can make everything the way he likes it.

About 30 years ago I read a cookbook that had an article on meal planning. Her acronym was DOLODOL. D stands for DOUBLE - a meal that is designed to have leftovers for later. O stands for one time meal. L stands for leftovers. It keeps you from boring your family with the same food two days in a row, but also reminds you to use your leftovers before they go bad.

Cooking from scratch does require an investment of time, but saves so much money. We just retired and now have just the two of us in the house again. I am cooking three meals a day and spending much less than when I worked and used convenience foods or ate out a lot.

Read More Answers...

October 3, 2006 Flag

Cooking from scratch can save you a lot of money. Here are some tips to help you learn to cook from scratch. Post your ideas.

September 7, 2004 Flag

If you are tired of running out of kitchen staples, buy two and instead of putting it on your grocery list when you run out, put it on your list when the first one is gone.

February 2, 2005 Flag

My mother-in-law gave me this tip when my husband and I first got married and moved into our first home. I tried it and it's true, and it's also healthier and earth friendly.

September 9, 2005 Flag

The key to cooking from scratch is making sure that you have staples on hand. Potatoes are one of the best and most versatile staples. Potatoes are cheap, can be stored for a long time, and can be used in a variety of dishes. Other staples to keep on hand are rice, beans, cooking oil, and flour.

July 24, 2004 Flag

It is really not that hard or inconvenient. Once you do it for a while, it will seem like you've done it forever.

Food and Recipes Food Tips Cooking From ScratchDecember 19, 2012
Biscuits made from scratch.
Making Biscuits From Scratch
Woman Wearing Eyeglasses
Making Eyeglasses Scratch Resistant
Coconuts
Cooking With Coconut Oil
Cooking bacon in microwave.
Cooking Bacon in the Microwave
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 21, 2016 at 8:19:23 PM on 10.0.0.77 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.