Creating a Grocery List
I use a system that I learned while I was a restaurant manager and by the nature of my job "had" to control food cost.
- I created a full inventory of everything we used. This means, everything.
- Once I did that I created a spread sheet with the list.
- I then inventoried everything, sat down with my wife and talked about what we needed.
- On our next trip I inventoried and tracked, "actual usage" and with many items, we were surprised on how little we used, while with others, we were right on.
- After you peg this for a 2 or 4 week period you pretty much have it dialed in. We shopped once per month (monthly salary) and some people looked shocked. However, our pantry, freezer, and fridge thinned out.
- Don't be worried about your food thinning out right before your next trip, that's what it's supposed to do.
By Donald from ID
Add your voice to the conversation.