Browsing: Crepe Myrtle Not Blooming

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Crepe Myrtle Not Blooming

Crepe myrtle likes full sun, but in drought conditions or even when it's rainy, the flowering may be delayed. This guide is about crepe myrtle not blooming.

Crepe Myrtle Not Blooming
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

August 3, 2010 Flag

I've had a crepe myrtle for 10 years that has never flowered. It is full of buds, but the buds never open to bloom. The tree looks healthy and would be beautiful if the blooms would open to flowers.

The tree is in a west location in the middle of the yard and it gets sun from mid-morning to night. It is watered once to twice a week (although during rainy periods it receives more water than that). Is there a flowerless variety that I happen to have, or can I take some action to get my crepe myrtle to flower?

By Rosie from New Port Richey, FL

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I'm not sure, but it sounds like either too much or not enough water. Call your local nursery and ask them. They know the right information for your climate.

Best Answer

I would have your soil test and the results discussed with a horticulturist. It may be a plant that requires specific minerals or soil conditions in order to bloom, or some plants require 2 to propagate each other.

Do you have any ants? These flowers are similar to peonies in that the ants eat all the sweet sticky stuff off the blooms. If they don't, then the blooms remain stuck shut and won't open.

April 29, 2016 Flag

What can I use to make my crepe myrtle trees bloom? I've tried a variety of fertilizers with no luck.

June 19, 2010 Flag

I have two crepe myrtles, they are around 7 yeas old, they have never bloomed. I have fertilized, fed, etc. over the last five years. They are beautiful trees, just no blooms. I need some ideas as to what else I might try.

By Debi from Greenwood, MS

Best Answer

Stop fertilizing and watering as much, and make sure they are getting full sun. I have read that a handful of epsom salts around the base of the shrub/tree will induce bloom. Scatter the epsom salts and water in. This should work like a charm.

I have 7 Crepe Myrtel and the only thing I've done to them is water when it gets hot and dry. Maybe you are doing too much to them. Cut back on the water.

August 18, 2012 Flag

I have 4 mature and 2 young different color crepe myrtle trees that only bloomed a handful of flowers. In previous years they produced massive quantities of blooms. My myrtles show no signs of any distress. I am so confused and upset. What happened?

By Jilly B from Vidor, TX

Hi you might want to try some tree food stakes or talk with someone at the closest Lowe's garden center they should be able to help you out with that.

August 18, 2011 Flag

I have a creeping myrtle that is slowly dying. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

By Mindy from Terrebonne, OR

I too have had that problem. I removed the tree from it location to discover the root system had enveloped itself and was suffocating the plant. I cut and loosened the root ball and stuck it in a large pot with some good quality potting mix. I almost immediately came back to life. 3 weeks later I now have a tree that has good healthy foliage and is blossoming slowly.

June 19, 2010 Flag

Our Crepe Myrtle trees are 6 or 7 years old, but only bloom occasionally. The trees are full of buds, but they never open. We water the trees weekly. We have seen trees in fields that only get water when it rains and they are full of blooms. Any ideas?

By DCWRN from Athens, TX

Cut Back Your Watering

Crepe Myrtles "do not" like to be watered that often. Cut back on your watering. They flower better that way.

By BredinTX

Home and Garden Gardening AdviceMay 29, 2012
    Tomato Plants Not Blooming
    Tomato Plants Not Blooming
    bittersweet
    Bittersweet Not Blooming
    Growing a Crepe Myrtle Tree
    Growing a Crepe Myrtle Tree
    Pruning a Crepe Myrtle Tree
    Pruning a Crepe Myrtle Tree
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 21, 2016 at 10:47:01 AM on 10.0.0.242 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.