Crepe Myrtle Not Blooming

Crepe myrtle likes full sun, but in drought conditions or even when it's rainy, the flowering may be delayed. This guide is about crepe myrtle not blooming.

Crepe Myrtle Not Blooming
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I've had a crepe myrtle for 10 years that has never flowered. It is full of buds, but the buds never open to bloom. The tree looks healthy and would be beautiful if the blooms would open to flowers.

The tree is in a west location in the middle of the yard and it gets sun from mid-morning to night. It is watered once to twice a week (although during rainy periods it receives more water than that). Is there a flowerless variety that I happen to have, or can I take some action to get my crepe myrtle to flower?

By Rosie from New Port Richey, FL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I'm not sure, but it sounds like either too much or not enough water. Call your local nursery and ask them. They know the right information for your climate.

Best Answer

I would have your soil test and the results discussed with a horticulturist. It may be a plant that requires specific minerals or soil conditions in order to bloom, or some plants require 2 to propagate each other.

Read More Answers...

I have two crepe myrtles, they are around 7 yeas old, they have never bloomed. I have fertilized, fed, etc. over the last five years. They are beautiful trees, just no blooms. I need some ideas as to what else I might try.

By Debi from Greenwood, MS

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Stop fertilizing and watering as much, and make sure they are getting full sun. I have read that a handful of epsom salts around the base of the shrub/tree will induce bloom. Scatter the epsom salts and water in. This should work like a charm.

Read More Answers...

I have 4 mature and 2 young different color crepe myrtle trees that only bloomed a handful of flowers. In previous years they produced massive quantities of blooms. My myrtles show no signs of any distress. I am so confused and upset. What happened?

By Jilly B from Vidor, TX

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hi you might want to try some tree food stakes or talk with someone at the closest Lowe's garden center they should be able to help you out with that.

I have a creeping myrtle that is slowly dying. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

By Mindy from Terrebonne, OR

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I too have had that problem. I removed the tree from it location to discover the root system had enveloped itself and was suffocating the plant. I cut and loosened the root ball and stuck it in a large pot with some good quality potting mix. I almost immediately came back to life. 3 weeks later I now have a tree that has good healthy foliage and is blossoming slowly.

Our Crepe Myrtle trees are 6 or 7 years old, but only bloom occasionally. The trees are full of buds, but they never open. We water the trees weekly. We have seen trees in fields that only get water when it rains and they are full of blooms. Any ideas?

By DCWRN from Athens, TX

Cut Back Your Watering

Crepe Myrtles "do not" like to be watered that often. Cut back on your watering. They flower better that way.

By BredinTX

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Gardening AdviceMay 29, 2012
Tomato Plants Not Blooming
Tomato Plants Not Blooming
bittersweet
Bittersweet Not Blooming
Growing a Crepe Myrtle Tree
Growing a Crepe Myrtle Tree
Pruning a Crepe Myrtle Tree
Pruning a Crepe Myrtle Tree
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 24, 2016 at 8:09:52 AM on 10.0.2.149 in 938 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.