Crepe Myrtle Trees Not Blooming

What can I use to make my crepe myrtle trees bloom? I've tried a variety of fertilizers with no luck.

Did you recently prune your tree? If the crape myrtle was pruned in late spring, normally it won't flower. You should never prune the crape myrtles once they start growing in spring. The new shoots are what give rise to the year's blooms.

Trim them back, signifiantly. Feed them some Miracle Grow (or similar food). They are much prettier if you keep them trimmed as a bush - not a tree.

No!!! Do not Crêpe murder them. I have wondered why some of mine bloom and some dont. I pass by 3 20 foot crêpe myrtles everyday that are basically growing nearly the alley of these people's homes. They bloom the whole season and are full. There 4 crepe myrtles in the next block, I know the home homeowner, she does not fetilize, she waters them seldom and never prunes or clears out old growth. After reading site after site about this problem, I think, maybe, we myrtle lovers, over "tend" our trees. They might be an ornamental tree that would prefer a little neglect.

And looking back to the first crêpe myrtle I had, I was newly married and 25, ran my own business. I know I seldom did anything to that tree except make sure it was not murdered and was pruned very artistically, when I did prune it. It bloomed the whole season. I think I shall do a little more "laissez-faire" type gardening and see what happens. Keep searching myrtle lovers, I don't think any of the sites have given us anything but guesses and encouragement to buy stuff. Think about it, we have all seen crêpe myrtles in the middle of nowhere that are blooming like crazy.
I am going to ignore mine for a while.

If you pruned them at the wrong time, they won't bloom. Either prune them in the early spring before they bloom, or after they finish blooming.

Home and Garden Gardening TreesApril 29, 2016
🍀
💘