Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Decorating Glass Plates

A fun project with paint or sewing notions is creating a decorative plate. This guide is about decorating glass plates.

May 4, 2009 Flag

Just in time for Mother's day. This fun craft is surprisingly easy to create. You can choose a pretty fabric, glue to a clear glass plate and you've got yourself a pretty "porcelain" plate to give as a gift or keep for yourself.

Approximate Time: About an hour plus drying time.

Instructions:

1. Lay the plate face down on the wrong side of the fabric and trace a circle 1/2 inch bigger than the circumference of the plate.

2. Cut the circle out.

3. Now squeeze some white glue on to a saucer and, by adding a little water at a time, water the white glue down slightly till it resembles light cream and spreads easily with the sponge brush.

4. Thinly coat the center section of the back of the glass plate with the glue.

5. Centering the fabric right side against back of plate slowly ease the fabric on to the plate making sure the fabric is even and all air bubbles are removed

6. Add more glue as needed and work your way to the edges of the plate pressing firmly on to the fabric and easing it into place.

7. Let it dry for a 1/2 hour or more checking at times for air bubbles and adherence .

8. With the sharp scissors cut the excess fabric from around the edge of the plate adding a little glue as you go along.

9. Let dry thoroughly (again checking for bubbles, adjusting as you go)

Voila! You have a pretty "porcelain" plate. I got the clear plates at Walmart for about $1.50. You can also purchase a small plate holder or a plate hanger for displaying your plate. Here is a pictures of the some of the ones I made.

By Jan from L.I. NY

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I loved this idea, so I printed the instructions and took them on vacation with me. When I landed I told my sister in law and niece that I had planned a "Craft Day" project. My mother and I purchased the plates at Wal*Mart for a $1.50, we also purchased the fabric there as well. With my sister Roz, sister-in-law Karen, her daughter, my niece Olivia and her friend Holly, and my mother Jenny, I had the best time, and so did everyone else. A very simple project, that looks like you spent hours making it.

November 23, 2005 Flag

A good idea for a Christmas craft for kids to do is to make a picture and then buy a clear plate. I found some at a craft store for around 1.00 each. Put the picture on the plate and use Mod Podge to seal it. After it is dry, you can fill it with cookies and give as a gift. Makes a great gift for grandparents.

By Lori from Dallas, TX

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hi! Great Teacher idea...How abour taking the pictures of her students and putting them around the plate and a group picture in the middle! I know I would love it! (Teacher of Pre-K :)

February 18, 2015 Flag

I received a handprint plate from my grandson at Christmas and was told the painted image will wash off and that I need to find out how to seal it properly so that it might be washed. What can I use to preserve this precious gift?

By Bee

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Glass plates only... you can put them in the oven on low heat for about half an hour & leave it in the oven till oven & plate are both cool. If not maybe a hardware store can sell you a spray to keep it sealed. If it has your Grand sons art on it. I wouldn't use it. I'd put it in a display cabinet on a plate holder to save for ever.

January 21, 2013 Flag

Where can I buy glass craft plates?

By Patricia

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Have you checked in craft stores like Michael's and Hobby Lobby. Several years ago I found them at WalMart, but that was back in the mid-nineties. You could also check in thrift stores.

Local dollars store should have all kinds and inexpensive too.

Good tips. You can also find inexpensive frames at thrift shops and use the glass. If you don't need the frame, why not donate it back or embellish them and sell them?

PBP

December 29, 2015 Flag

I am looking for free instructions on how to make a decorative glass plate using fabric.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 4, 2015 Flag

I want to know how to transfer pictures onto glass plates. Do I use Inkjet copies or regular photos? Any another ideas appreciated.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 26, 2015 Flag

Are you talking about just using Elmer's white glue?

By Susan

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 1, 2014 Flag

I want to learn to place a real photo on the back of a clear glass plate. I would like for it to look artful, not smeared.
What's the trick?

By Manuel

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Crafts Glass ArtDecember 9, 2012
Star shaped glass candle holder.
Cleaning Candle Wax from Glass
License Plates Decorating a Wall
Crafts Using License Plates
Decorated Mug
Decorating Dishes
Making a Photo Plate
Making a Photo Plate
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 16, 2017 at 12:17:45 PM on 10.0.0.50 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.