Deodorant Build-up

My husband is a professional firefighter who wears navy blue t-shirts under his uniforms. The underarm areas become stiff and extremely uncomfortable due to a build-up of deodorant and the otherwise good shirts quickly become unwearable. Any suggestions for preventing this or for removing the deodorant build-up?

Answers:

Deodorant Build-up

I've never tried this myself, but I know someone who swears it works. You make a paste of water and meat tenderizer, and spread it on the stiff area. Let it set overnight. Brush off the dried paste, pre-treat with liquid detergent, then wash as usual. NOTE -- make sure you buy the unflavored tenderizer -- the flavored has spices in it which could add to the stain! (06/14/2001)

By lmlhlinc

Deodorant Build-up

I had never heard about or had this problem but I asked my sister and she said in 10 years that had never happened to her firefighter husband's shirts. Then they tried a different deodorant (sample in the mail) and it was like stiff cardboard right out of the dryer. They went back to their old brand (which was unscented) and have not had the problem recur. She does not remember which brand it was that made the stiffness happen. Try a different deodorant and she suggests one without scent. She's guessing it was the combo of that particular deodorant and your type of water, etc. (06/14/2001)

By KC

Deodorant Build-up

Have you tried white vinegar to the rinse water? (05/17/2004)

By

Deodorant Build-up

My husband also has this problem. We have tried changing brands and
he only uses unscented. I have yet to find a solution to this problem. (07/17/2004)

By terrilee

Deodorant Build-up
A woman putting on deodorant.
Deodorant Reviews
Man Using Deodorant
Using Deodorant
Photo of a stick of Sure deodorant.
Removing Deodorant Stains on Clothing
Deodorant Stains
Removing Deodorant Stains From a Sweater
🎉
🎄