Diabetic Recipes

Can anyone give me some ideas on menu's for a diabetic. Exchange lists are a little complicated and a nuisance. What I am looking for, are actual meal ideas especially for supper. I appreciate all replies.

P.J. from Delaware

Answers:

Diabetic Recipes

My dietitian said to eat the colors of the rainbow. For the rainbow, if you serve a green cooked veggie like broccoli, also eat one of a different color, say red, like beets or braised red cabbage, etc. For your meal, if you have meat, a serving for meat, is the size of a deck of cards. A serving of cheese is a piece cut as long as your thumb. If you were to have a baked potato, it can only be about the size of a golf ball.

Sweet potatoes are better for diabetics, than white potatoes. For cooked veggies, it's a 1/2 cup, for a serving. If your veggie is raw, it's unlimited, as long as it's plain or you're having a low carb dressing on the side such as Wishbone's Just 2 Good Dressing (I prefer this brand, they make Ranch, 1000 Island, Italian, these are really good). Also, I prefer to dip my fresh veggies in the dip/dressing. This way, I can control the amount of dressing on it.

We're not supposed to eat "white foods", potatoes, rice, flour, sugar, bread, etc. If you choose to eat bread, make sure it's "whole wheat", check the 1st ingredient on the bread label, if it says "whole wheat" it's ok, if not, don't buy it. Some breads are called "wheat" when actually it's white bread colored brown, & it's not the same as whole wheat. If you choose to eat rice, make sure it's "brown rice". Brown rice has more fiber in it & it's better not eaten alone. I tend to serve brown rice with stirfries, or in a casserole. I hope I've helped you out some.
(09/20/2006)

By badwater

Diabetic Recipes

Badwater
Thanks so much for all the detailed information. I appreciate it, and the time it took to submit the post.
P.J. (09/20/2006)

By P.J.

Diabetic Recipes

Go to www.Splenda.com
They offer recipies for the Diabetic. (09/20/2006)

By Dorie

Diabetic Recipes

http://www.recipegoldmine.com/diabetic/diabetic.html (09/21/2006)

By micksgirl

Diabetic Recipes

Try this link: http://www.diabetic-recipes.com/

I used it very successfully for a family visit that included a couple newly diagnosed diabetics, and the menues were great. Non-diabetics didn't notice tnat the food was for a restricted diet, and the diabetics were pleased to be able to enjoy meals without worrying about foods they weren't allowed.

My mother didn't believe some of the recipes were truely for diabetics, so I pulled up the site, and now she uses it regularly!

Deb (09/21/2006)

By dj_pinkey

Diabetic Recipes

Here is the site for the American Diabetes Organizations recipe list. It is broken into sections (beef, chicken, appetizers, etc) Just pick what kind of recipe you want and it will give you a huge list.

http://vgs.diabetes.org/recipe/index.jsp (09/21/2006)

By CarlaJS

Diabetic Recipes
Apple Pie
Diabetic Apple Pie Recipes
Making Diabetic Powdered Sugar (Sugar Free)
Blueberry Pie
Diabetic Blueberry Pie
Graham Cracker Crust
Diabetic Graham Cracker Crust Recipes
🎉
🎄