Diabetic Recipes

Category Diabetic
Fresh Salad
There are many delicious recipes that are low-carb, low-sugar or sugar free, that are suitable for this dietary challenge. This page contains diabetic recipes.

I have just got to share this link with you. I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes a few months ago and it was all change with my diet. I was running round in circles trying to find out as much information as i could and of course find nice recipes to suit the new food regime. Now I have found this link and it's fantastic.

It takes second to download on Broadband and it's free. As well as giving me lots of invaluable diabetic help links it gives me a whole plethora of recipes and the ability to add many more of my own as I find them. For a newly diagnosed diabetic, this certainly looks to be a great help to me. I just couldn't keep this to myself.

http://www.azzcardfile.com/collections/diabeticdiet.html

The above link shows you the screenshot and click on the left-hand side link at the bottom of the page to download.

All best wishes

By Monique from Somerset, U.K

Once a month my craft group of about 20 senior citizens ladies has a buffet birthday lunch. I need some recipes that are a little special, thrifty, use common ingredients, and suitable for diabetic diets. Because we have a 2 hour class before the luncheon, the food must be prepared early in the morning or the night before. A refrigerator and microwave is available. If the recipe serves 6 to 8 it would be enough, as one spoonful from each dish soon fills a plate. I prefer veggie or salad recipes, but one using some meat would work for me also.

Bettie from Texas

If you want to convert recipes for use by Diabetics, or just want to cut sugar, make sure to use a sugar substitute that can withstand heat. Sugar Twin is a great choice in that it retains its sweetness when it is cooked or baked, and you can get it in a form that measures, cup for cup, like sugar.

By Judi in Orlando

I need a diabetic Angel food cake recipe. Can anyone help me?

Jay from Laurel, Delaware

Best Answer

I just bought a box of Splenda to use in baking for diabetics. It says you can substitute 1part Splenda for 1 part sugar. I don't see why you can't use it instead of sugar for your regular Angle Food cake recipe..

I also noticed at another grocery store a "sugar substitute for baking" product but I can't remember what it's called.

Angel Food Cake sounds good, I think I'll make one for my Seniors I work with at a nursing home.

Best Answer

You won't find a recipe for "diabetic" Angel Food Cake - it is made with highly processed white flour which is very high G.I. Diabetics need to eat complex carbohydrates such as wholemeal flour with added whole grains (such as multi-grain bread). This would be far too heavy for an Angel Food Cake. Just eliminating the sugar content is not enough.

Best Answer

Although angel food cake is a high glycemic food, it is the least problematic of the cakes. It is usually served without frosting and has absloutely no fat. Portion control is the way to go . Ask your nutritionist or diabetic educator how to work it into your eating plan for special occasions.

Best Answer

Sorry, you are not going to find a substitute for this. Make the Betty Crocker one and eat what would be measured for the unit you are allowed. The falacy of eating "diabetic or non-diabetic foods/candy" is not a funny subject. This is not how the diabetic teaching is now done. Even 'diabetic' foods have content that must be measured the same way as any food consumption. A carb, fat, protein all has the same calories no matter what food substance it is in. You learn to live within your calories and carbs allowed. By law, all items to be consumed/chewed must be labeled.

So if you truely want Angel Food Cake, then eat a small slice. An AFC cut into 12 pieces has 150 calories, 45 grams of carbs.

A slice of Country hearth w/w multigrain bread has 90 calories, 17 grams of carbs. For a slice of cake, think 3 slices of w/w multigrain bread. Then adjust your diet.

I am a diet controlled diabetic as well. Sometimes when we crave something, 1 single bite will be just as good as the whole piece. So I take 1 bite of things I crave!

Grandma J.

I noticed a lot of your recipes are high in carbs, what are frugal meals for diabetics?

By Sandra M. from Bettendorf, IA

Answer Was this helpful? 1

I am looking for easy diabetic meals or low carb meals. Any help would be appreciated.

Donna from Arcadia, FL

Answers

I too have type 2. I have found www.dlife.com to be a life saver. Hope this helps.

For lo carb, check out Atkins.com. Now, if you have diabetic problems, you will want to read the recipe through carefully, but for the most part, they are great!

You can check at your local library for diabetic cookbooks. I just found one at the local library.

My husband is diabetic but loves his sweets. I need recipes for cookies, cakes and pies that are sugar free or diabetic friendly

Alma from McAllen, TX

Editor's Note: Here is a link to our Diabetic recipes section, there are many desserts already posted.

Do you have access to a public library? My home town isn't all that big but our libraries each have dozens and dozens of diabetic cookbooks, many just desserts. Check it out.

Go to splenda.com. They have a lot of good recipies there. Spenda can be a little expensive, but it measures cup for cup the same as sugar. I also substitute unsweetened applesauce for oil in any recipie that calls for oil (the only thing I haven't tried yet is a pie crust...don't know if that would work). But doing that eliminiates extra fat. Yesterday I made a loaf of zuccini bread using a recipe I found at allrecipiesl.com...I substituted Spenda for the sugar, applesauce for the oil and egg substitute for the egg and oatmeal for part of the flour (to add fiber as I count carbs). Made the best zucchini bread! But it will still have some carbs because of the flour.

my dad loved impossible pie. it called for sugar and we just subbed sweet and low. now adays you could use splenda. i have posted the recipe on her.

Go to your local diabetic society website too, in my case it is the Canadian Diabetic Association, but I believe there is a American Diatebetic Association. in Canada, it is cda.ca Also agree with perfumed fan about your local public library. If it is small, they can order books from all over for short loans through something called interlibrary loan.

Here is a great dessert that anyone would love. And Sooo easy.

PINEAPPLE DESSERT

1 20oz can crushed pineapple, mixed with the dry ingredients of a ONE STEP angel food cake mix.

Put in sprayed 9 X 13 pan. Bake 30 mins at 350 degree. Can top with cool whip, ice-cream or whipped cream if desired.

(It has to be the ONE STEP cake mix. Don't know why, but two step does not turn out)

I am looking for some good diabetic recipes for muffins and brownies. Also, any other good recipes would be appreciated.

Corkie

Hi, I put a out a Diabetic Stuff newsletter for anyone that is interested. It's nothing fancy though! I just type in a regular email and forward it to you! I share all our favorite recipes plus those others have sent to me! Both me and my hubby are Type 2 diabetics.

Email me at: evyjean39@yahoo.com and I will add you to my letter!

Have you checked out the Splenda website or Diabetic Gourmet website? Here is a sample from both:

DAILY DIABETIC RECIPE -- September 13, 2003 - DailyDiabeticRecipe.com

From The Diabetic Gourmet Magazine -- http://DiabeticGourmet.com

PUMPKIN CINNAMON-SPICE MUFFINS

Yield: 18 muffins (1 per serving)

Source: "1,001 Recipes For People with Diabetes" by Surrey Books

Book info: http://tgcmagaz  /click.cgi?id=24

INGREDIENTS

- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour

- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour

- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder

- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda

- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves

- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

- 1/2 teaspoon allspice

- 3/4 cup brown sugar

- 1 cup canned pumpkin

- 1/4 cup liquid egg substitute

- 1/3 cup fat-free milk

- 1/4 cup corn oil

- 3 ounces frozen unsweetened orange juice concentrate, thawed

- Vegetable cooking spray

DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Sift together flours, baking

powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and allspice

into a large bowl; add brown sugar.

In a separate bowl, combine remaining ingredients, except

cooking spray. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients,

stirring until just moistened. Spoon into 18 muffin cups

coated with cooking spray; bake 14 minutes.

Nutritional Information Per Serving (1 muffin):

Calories: 99, Fat: 0.2 g, Cholesterol: 0 g,

Sodium: 87 mg, Protein: 2.2 g, Carbohydrate: 22.6 g

Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 Bread/Starch

Blueberry Muffins

Preparation Time: 15 minutes

Baking and Cooling Time: : 40 minutes

Serving Size: 3 oz.

Serves: 10

2 cups all-purpose flour

2 tsp. baking powder

3/4 tsp. salt

1/2 cup (1 stick) light margarine, softened

1 cup SPLENDA® Granular

1/4 cup honey

2 whole large eggs

1 tsp. vanilla

1/2 cup skim milk

1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen

Preheat oven to 350° F. Line 10 muffin cups with paper

liners.

Sift together flour, baking powder, salt, set aside.

Beat together margarine, SPLENDA® Granular, and honey with

an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a

time beating well after each addition. Stir in vanilla.

Alternately stir in flour mixture and milk, beginning and

ending with flour mixture. Fold in berries.

Spoon batter into paper lined muffin cups, and bake until

golden brown and a toothpick inserted comes out clean, about

25-30 minutes. Cool in pan 10 minutes on a wire rack. Remove

fom pan. Cool completely on wire rack.

Nutrients Per Serving

Serving Size 3 g

Calories 180

Carbohydrates 30 g

Protein 4 g

Dietary Fiber < 1 g

Total Fat 4.5 g

Saturated Fat 1 g

Cholesterol 45 mg

Sodium 350 mg

I would like to get your letter I just found out I am type 2 diabetics I am having a hard time with what to eat. mythreeboys AT iwon.com god bless and thanks rebecca

Google: Low GI diet, and see what comes up

I just found out that I have type 2 diabetes. I'm looking for recipes for diabetics. And I know there are more readers with this health problem that could use them also. Thanks in advance!

By Mary from NH

Answer Was this helpful? 1

I am needing some good, simple crock pot recipes for diabetics. I don't like to cook so we need to keep it simple.

Pamm from Tulsa, OK

Here's some...............

http://www.diab  cat_crockpot.htm

We like to take a pork roast (of any type) and throw it in the crockpot with a small jar of pepperocini peppers, juice & all. They are just spicy enough to really make it taste good. You can also add BBQ sauce when you take it out (sugar free, of course)

My 8 year old son is a newly diagnosed type 1 diabetic. There are plenty of recipes geared for adults that are carb light or carb free beacause of the South Beach Diet and the Adkins Diet but I am having trouble finding everyday food recipes that are more kid friendly that he would like. Any suggestions?

Thanks

I think it was the Betty Crocker site I was on that had recipies for diabetics. Try checking it out, I would think they would have some recipies, also try the splenda site.

Does anyone have holiday diabetic recipes? Jean

Jean, you might try 2 sights I use: http://www.equal.com and http://www.splenda.com. They have alot of recipes you can make that are just as delicious as the bad sugar ones. Hope this helps.

Where do I find quick diabetic recipes?

By Linda C

I need diabetic recipes with calorie and carb counts included.

By G Davis