Dilly Bread

I like the taste of this so much with the dill, and it always rises so nice. You can make this the usual way or using a bread maker, which is what I do. I put the bread maker on the "dough" cycle and when that is done, take it out and shape it anyway I want to.

• 1 pkg. yeast
  • 1/3 cup warm water
  • 1 cup creamed cottage cheese
  • 2 Tbsp. sugar
  • 1 Tbsp. minced dried onion
  • Ad
  • 1 heaping Tbsp. butter
  • 1 Tbsp. dill seed
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. soda
  • 1 egg
  • 3 cups flour (I use bread flour)

Directions:

If using a bread maker, place ingredients in according to the directions of your bread maker. Mine says to put all liquids in first, then the dry ingredients with the yeast last. When that is done, shape into rolls. I find this method so much faster and easier and tastes just as good.

If making by hand, mix the yeast in with the warm water and incorporate the rest of the ingredients in with that. You will have to knead for about 5 minutes or if you have a mixer with a dough hook, you can knead it in that.

Let rise, then shape into rolls. Bake at 350 degrees F. The time may vary, depending on what size pan you use. You can also make a loaf out of it.

Servings: 36
Time:1 1/2 Hours Preparation Time
30 Minutes Cooking Time

Source: This original recipe came from the Jim Lloyd cookbook, who had a show on recipes on the radio. I tweaked it some, but it is basically the same recipe.

By Elaine from Belle Plaine, IA

Thanks! Sounds great, want to try it with my breadmaker but I use special bread machine yeast, how much yeast should I use (tsps) equivalent to 1 package? (BTW, I'm not much of a cook.)

Thanks!

Yum, Elaine, that braided loaf looks beautiful! I will have to try this one.

This sounds so yummy! I wish you lived next door, Laniegirl! I am a good cook but I am absolutely awful at baking bread and have only had success one single time with all the efforts over the years! ;-)

P.S. I like your new profile photo :-)

I have that cookbook too, but somehow overlooked this recipe. Any recipe in there you can count on because it's TNT. I was a faithful listener to his radio program and still think of it. I really miss it.

Lyss, All my bread machine recipes call for the same amount of instant yeast. So hopefully that will work for you too. This originally was not a bread machine recipe, I just use it that way.

Stewartmaize, that does look like a braid but really isn't, it is just buns so close together. Normally I don't put them that close together but was too lazy to did out another pan.

Imgluvscat, you must be from the midwest. Loved his show too, he put up with a lot of women who didn't catch all the ingredients, was so patient with them. My cookbook is really beat up. 50 years of cooking with it. If you missed the recipe, it was probably from another year. They put out cookbooks several years.

Deeli, if I were as good a cook as you, I wouldn't worry about not being able to bake so well!

dilly rolls
Dilly Bread and Roll Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts BreadsApril 28, 2011
Gluten free bread in a bread machine.
Gluten Free Bread Machine Recipes
bread slices
Cheddar Dill Bread Recipes
Moldy bread.
Preventing Mold on Bread
Recipes Using Stale Bread, Slice of Bread on Cutting Board
Recipes Using Stale Bread
🎉
🎄