Discouraging Cats from Pooping in the Garden

Currently, I have two lovely cats who love to use my garden as a bathroom and I do not like it. It makes it smelly at my entry way into my home for visitors and I grow my veggies that I ingest, there too. I had a thought that maybe if I plant some catnip and cat grass to encourage their enjoyment in the garden it would keep them from eliminating it my garden. I say this because I know cats do not like to play and eat near where they go to the bathroom. What are some thoughts and ideas that would be better or do you agree with what I am saying?

You can plant mint and citrus. Cats don't like the smell. You can also disperse coffee grounds in the area.

When some cats aren not deterred by scents and you don't want to use chemicals, chicken wire might be one of the best solutions.

The most recommended solution I've found is laying bird mesh just under the top surface of your garden. It a plastic mesh that works by getting caught in the cats paws preventing them from digging and they abandon that spot. You can find it in the garden section of hardware or home improvement stores. Cost is nominal, depending on the amount needed. You can also use chicken wire in the same way, it doesnt show just under the top soil but plants can still grow.

Another physical deterrent is placing a wide border of pinecones around the garden perimeter. Cats dislike the rough surface.

If you want to go a low recycling route, you can try citrus rinds, vinegar, coffee grounds, epson salts, pipe tobacco - all work on the principle of scents that are offensive to cats who rely on their sense of smell to find suitable areas to potty. The offensive smells eliminate their desire to potty there. You can try planting the herb RUE or geraniums both scents are offensive to felines. (Wear gloves if you plant RUE it can cause skin blistering )

One solution thats harmless to cats but actually benefits the plants is a motion activated sprinkler. The cat's trespassing into the garden activates the sprinkler, and they get wet ! The plants get a drink. My sister says it very quick fix to the problem.

I thought about the sprinkler idea before, I'll have to give it a shot. Thank you.

Cats  don't like the smell of mint and the plant  looks pretty so I would try that

I like the sprinkler idea. My cats ignore smells.

Yeah, unfortunately my cats are not bothered by scents either. I always empty my coffee grounds in the garden where I don't want them to go and I use vinegar on carpets in our home and they don't seem offended by them. I just figured if I put something they might enjoy like catnip, they might not poop in the area of their enjoyment... lol