Dog with Dry and Flaky Skin

My dog Pekingese dog, Ginger has dry dark flaky skin. When I brush her it seems to get everywhere in her fur, but never goes away. It is almost part of her skin color. Any suggestions?

Shirley from Lincoln

Answers:

Dog with Dry and Flaky Skin

My dog, a Shih-tzu, had a flaky skin problem for a while with a lot of itching, licking, and scratching. We never had her tested for allergies, although that's usually the first thing everyone recommends. I figured we'd try to start with the easiest solution before I test her for allergies. So we ended up getting a shampoo (Malaseb) from the Vet and it seems to really work for her. We have to bath her often (1x week) with that shampoo. I actually thought bathing too often would cause problems, but with the right shampoo it helped significantly. Good luck. (01/28/2008)

By khilde80

Dog with Dry and Flaky Skin

For our Black Lab it was a preliminary sign of a thyroid condition, so maybe discuss it with a veterinary. (01/28/2008)

By missl

Dog with Dry and Flaky Skin

We have dogs that are notorious for skin problems and they have never had a problem, they have been on Eukanuba since birth. Its a more expensive dog food but worth it, as you don't need to add anything to their diet. Since your dog is small, a bag of food will last a long time. It probably will take a few months on this diet before you will notice any difference. Good luck.

Sally G. (01/28/2008)

By segreer

Dog with Dry and Flaky Skin

Try giving your dog coconut oil. Since your dog is small probably 1 tbsp. is good per day. They love it and lick it right off the spoon. You can also rub it on her dry skin. Give it about 2 weeks, you should see a difference. (01/29/2008)

Dog with Dry and Flaky Skin
A package of cornmeal.
Dry Carpet Cleaner Recipes
Dry Sunburned Skin Remedies
Remedies for Dry Sunburned Skin
A black lab.
Small Flaky Scabs on a Dog's Skin
baby sleeping
Cradle Cap Remedies
🎉
🎄