Draining Canned Tuna

Removing the oil or water from canned fish is usually done before using it in recipes. This guide is about draining canned tuna.

I have struggled with an easy way to drain the liquid off of a can of tuna. Usually I just use the lid of the tin to press the liquid out, but it rarely gets it dry enough for my taste. I searched everywhere to find something more efficient, but it was right in my utensil drawer all along! Its a metal lemon squeezer! I just put the contents of the can in the inside part of the squeezer, press the top part of the handle down and squeeze until it's as dry as I want it. You may have to stop to push some of the tuna back in that comes out around the edges, but it works great.

Directions:

There is a little device, sort of like the garlic press, made especially for draining canned tuna. It fits right over the opening, push handle down and fully drained to your liking. Most grocery stores, around my location, have them down the canned tuna aisle. If not, I'm sure you can locate one on Amazon.

What is the best way to drain a small can of tuna?

Onesummer

Answer Was this helpful? 1

I just open my can and lay it upside down, with the lid still covering the tuna, on the drainboard of the sink. By the time I get the rest of the stuff ready for whatever I am making the tuna has drained sufficiently to be ready for my recipe. Of course I would not do this with oil packed tuna, then I would invert the can, lid intact, and press the lid into the tuna while holding it over a disposal recepticle.

Open the can

Leave the top on then drain buy pressing the tuna with the can top until all liquid is removed.

Then wash your hands so you don't smell like a tuna boat captain.

I have found that for the least amount of cleanup afterward, just open the can with a regular can opener leaving the top in the can on top of the tuna. I only buy water packed so just hold the can over the sink with the lid side away from you and squeeze the lid down as tight as you can while pouring the water down the drain. When you remove the lid the tuna is quite dry and ready to use.

Not too much to it, but it's a tad messy. I haven't found an alternative to opening it and using the lid to press out the liquid into the sink or trash. I use a fork or knife to pry open the lid and flake it out with a fork. I wash my hands after--nice and clean. If the smell of tuna bothers you and your soap doesn't remove it, use a lemon to rub your hands when you wash.

They make some little sieves you can place over the cans and drain the contents. Someone told me that the one with offset handles located on the sides are better than the small rounds you fit directly on the can. Less messy.

I'd suggest you go to a store that sells kitchen supplies (like Bed, Bath & Beyond) and see what they have to offer.

I bought mine at a store that is located in an outlet mall which also sells Corning Ware. This picture is of the underside and it shows the rings which attach securely to the different sizes of cans. There are no identifying marks, so I can't tell you the brand. Probably cost $2.99. Wish I'd purchased more. I use it often. Dishwasher top rack safe.

I can order a can drainer for you. Email me at iamchef dot leighann at yahoo dot com and I'll fill you in! I can send you a picture of what I'm talking about. You'll love it! I know I do, as we use a lot of tuna around here.

Huh, and here I thought I was doing the normal thing, and everyone does it differently. I use the can opener to make a slit in each side of the top, as if starting to open the lid, then I perch the thing on its side on the edge of the sink and let it drip a few minutes while I get the rest of the ingredients ready. If I'm saving the liquid (good soup starter) then I perch the can in the top of a drinking glass.

Open can; drain into dish.

If you have a cat, he/she will already be there at the

sound of the magic can opener begging for the juice.

This applies only to tuna in water.

My little doggy's love the left over water from tuna.

Cut open can normally, take lid, and mash down the tuna, draining it into a bowl, squeezing the water out. (push down slowly to mash out water, if you do it too fast it "squirts"), then I poor the tuna water into the doggy bowl. Sometimes over dry food. Good for cats too. Then just take the cut lid off and fork out the nice dry tuna into your preparation bowl. Everyone is happy.

Why spend money on some little strainer (then wash and store it later) when all you have to do is open the top and press down to strain? If you keep your fingers away from the juice, no smelly tuna hands. I don't have animals, but I bet they do love the juice, but I would think you would have to be careful because of the salt that's in the brine. It's packed in.