Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Eating After Getting New Dentures

Eating after getting new dentures can feel like a whole new experience. This is a guide about eating after getting new dentures.

This is not a recipe, but rather a food preparation tip. Due to weight loss, my lower denture gets loose sometimes, making it impossible to chew coleslaw. I got the idea to put my cabbage through my salad shooter with the shredder attachment. Worked perfectly. Prepare your recipe as it says. I can now eat coleslaw with the shredded cabbage.

Source: me

By Linda from Bloomington

I have a full plate on the top and mini implants/partial on the bottom. How do you properly bite into food (sandwich, pizza, etc.) so the top plate stays in place?

By NH

Answer Was this helpful? 2
Best Answer

A well fitted upper plate shouldn't need a fixative unless you are trying to eat a raw apple or corn-on-the-cob. If your plate is so loose that you feel you're going to lose it biting something like a sandwich, you probably should talk with your dentist about how loose your plate has become. Sometimes after initial dentures are made gums shrink and the wearer will need a newer set fitted.

It took me a while to get used to my upper plate but after a year I'm managing quite well. I was a little nervous about eating in public at first because I was afraid the plate would pop out but after a few successful meals out I was fine. I can even manage BBQ ribs and chicken.

If I know I am going to have an apple or c-o-t-c, I do use Poligrip. (Fixodent is actually better for serious holding power but the zinc gives me a wicked bad headache!)

My top plate has been loose for close to a year now. I just put Fix-o-dent on it every morning. I've never had a problem biting anything since I started using the Fix-o-dent!

I recently got dentures as well and have been using them for a year now. I have not mastered the art of eating with them yet totally but for sandwiches, pizza and burgers, a frequent meal in my home, I think I have the solution... I use Polident gel, as a glue for them, and so far I haven't had a problem.

It helps to push finger food (like a burger) against the upper denture when you bite down on it.

I learned that as a tip on a denture site I was on.

http://denturesanewsmile.ning.com/

It's a group of new and experienced denture wearers giving each other tips on how to cope.

I have just had new dentures top and bottom

No sores yet.slept in the top ones have a good bite but the roof of my mouth plate is much bigger and have to keep swallowing. Will this get right eventually?

I got temporary full dentures 4 days ago. This is the first time for me to wear dentures. I could not wear the dentures due to the pain they caused. I am supposed to wear them at least an hour a day for the next two weeks.

I was able to wear them 5 or 6 hours by using SeaBond denture adhesive strips. It seemed to cushion or whatever just enough. Plus it really holds the dentures in place. I was only able to remove them by eating a hot omelette. The dentures quickly and easily released and I could easily get them out without gagging.

But now, I question if I will be able to eat hot foods, like soups, omelettes, etc. when wearing dentures. Obviously not with the Sea bond strips. But is there something that works better as far as making the dentures not hurt and keeping them in place, even when eating hot soup or other hot foods?

Thanks.

Best Answer

I've had full dentures for about 20 years and the best thing I've found is Fixodent. Not much of a problem with hot stuff, the thing that 'melts' the fixer seems to be chocolate.

I do sometimes need to reapply some days. They do take a while to get used to - I kept saying to myself "No more toothache, yaay!" When you get the permanent ones they will feel better. Good luck.

Marg from England.

I find secure dental adhesive the best tred all the other ones but this one lasts for 12 hours get it from Amazon hope this helps

I had to have all teeth removed that were left after accident. Also I had dentures put right in. My face is swollen, mouth and gums hurt. I need to find away to eat. Please no more jello or pudding. Oatmeal is running to going. What else is there? Please help!

By Doris from MO

From reading the posts before me, I can tell that either they've never gone through this or it's been so long ago that they've forgotten. I went through this 5 years ago and can sure sympathize! Most of the things people here are suggesting are good but there are a few that you need to steer clear of till your mouth is totally healed and you've gotten your permanent dentures and gotten used to them.

The good things are:

Mac & Cheese (you can cook it a few extra minutes then you won't have to mash it at all, just swallow it)

Spaghetti is good only if it has no meat in it. Even the tiniest pieces of meat can cause extreme pain!

Soup beans are ok if cooked till very very soft, but no cornbread! The crumbs will hurt!

Mashed potatoes

Scrambled eggs

Cheesecake is good but the crust will negate all the good!

Yogurt

Ice Cream is wonderful for the pain but it has to be plain--no nuts or fruits in it

Milk Shakes

Soup broth, not regular soups

Applesauce

Cream of wheat

Now here's things you should avoid at this point:

Any meats! No matter how small you cut it up or grind it up or mash it, tiny pieces will get in there and cause excruciating pain

Anything with crumbs (same reason) such as cornbread, bread, toast

Rice

Baked potatoes or potatoes fixed any way other than mashed

Pasta, unless it's cooked at least 5 minutes longer than called for

Any vegetables other than peas and carrots, and those need to be cooked longer

Basically if you wouldn't feed it to a small infant, don't eat it yourself until you heal. Even with the denture pastes the food particles still find their way in and you'll be in tears from the pain. It gets extremely frustrating because you want all these foods but if you try and eat them tiny tiny bits will get under your dentures and will feel like mountains! It took me about 2 months before I could start eating normally again, and even after 2 months I had to get back into it gradually.

Good luck with yours!

Doris, I feel For you.I also have to get all my bottoms out; I had top teeth out few yrs. ago, due to Osteopenia, (the start of Osteoperosis.) I'm wondering what to eat after dentures are made & in between. I'm scared my teeth won't fit, or I won't be able to deal with them or eat things I like. I was thinking protein drinks, smoothie, even with ice -cream, cream soups, pureed veggies, & lots of juice. I'm 51, so I also take a Multi Vitamin. Good Luck. Let's pray for each others success, OK?

You can puree any food in the blender and it will taste good and won't be painful. People who have had weight loss surgeries do this. My favorite was cottage cheese.Mac n cheese would work fine, any vegetable, even grilled cheese sandwiches. Good Luck.

Everyone has good advice. I was wondering if you really need to have your dentures in while your gums are still healing. Most of the foods suggested can be eaten without teeth. And it is amazing what one can eat without teeth. If you have been told to leave your dentures in during the healing process, then that is what you should do. Follow doctors orders and do the best you can. I think your situation is different than most in that your teeth loss was due to an accident. Good luck, Doris.

Walgreen's sells benzocaine, an oral anesthetic for tooth and gum pain. It comes in a small eyedrop-size bottle, and you just need a drop or two. Helps sore gums a lot.

It takes about 6 weeks for the gums to heal enough to be able to eat comfortably, and even then you may need adjustments for the dentures to fit properly.

Canned fruit are also a nice treat.

Talhloolabelle's link will work if you delete the dot at the end of the link. I just posted this for another question lol. My "all knowing computer wizard son" told me there should never be a dot at the end of a link .

ORZO - that little pasta will be your best friend and this is delicious! Sautee some in a little butter, add a small amount of hot broth. When the broth is gone, add a little more and whatever herbs you like. Continue to add broth every time it soaks into the pasta. This will make it creamy. Test occasionally until you get the consistency you like. You can add more butter if you like. Any leftovers heat well in the microwave the next day as long as you add a couple tablespoons of water to make it creamy again.

I felt the same way, my swelling was so bad I couldn't chew oatmeal. I pulled out my emulsifier blender & drank a quarter of a watermelon. For dinner it was watermelon, blueberries, strawberries & a banana with a fresh sweet potato on the side. If you haven't tried fresh fruit smoothies, try them. Endless varieties that are so beneficial in many aspects of your health.

What is good to eat the day I get my dentures and after?

By J.R from FL

Answers:

Eating After Getting New Dentures

I'd suggest soft foods, scrambled eggs, soups, puddings, etc. But really, anything that doesn't hurt. You have my sympathy! (07/07/2010)

By JustPlainJo

Eating After Getting New Dentures

Yogurt is good, ice cream is another thing that feels good on swollen gums. It does take some getting used to, but now I can eat anything, even an apple without using anything to hold my dentures in. (07/07/2010)

By Laniegirl

Eating After Getting New Dentures

Mashed potatoes and gravy, cream of wheat cereal, oatmeal, tomato soup, puddings, jello, ice cream, sherbet, lots of orange and other juices, etc. (07/07/2010)

By florida gal

Eating After Getting New Dentures

Applesauce, scrambled eggs and everything else the others mentioned. (07/08/2010)

By Beth

Eating After Getting New Dentures

Anything soft as the others have said. Ask your dentist when you pick them up, they may already have a list of food suggestions. (07/08/2010)

By Maryeileen

Top Comment

I ate steak and salad, but first put them in my mini food chopper and ground them up. Taste was still good, just a softer texture that looks like baby food.

New Dentures
Wearing New Dentures
Health & Beauty AdviceOctober 10, 2016
Bored Kid at a Restaurant
Keep Children Entertained When Eating Out
A woman in pain wearing dentures.
Remedies for Pain from Wearing Dentures
Close up of the mouth of a smiling senior woman with her hands on either side of her jaw
Getting Used To Wearing Dentures
Temporary Dentures
Getting Temporary Dentures
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 27, 2017 at 12:21:19 PM on 10.0.0.89 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.