Feeding a Large Crowd Cheaply

Planning an inexpensive meal for a crowd can seem daunting, but it is doable. This is a guide about feeding a large crowd cheaply.

Feeding a Large Crowd Cheaply
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

We have a special occasion, my husband is turning 65. Since I am now disabled and no one in the family has volunteered to help (but are coming) and everyone wants it to be a surprise, of course, what do I feed these family members and still make the birthday special on a low-cost budget? My husband does not eat beans!

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Let the extended family know you will be taking your h/h out to *** restaurant and advise them if they would like to join in that it is up to them to make their own reservations and pay their share of the bill. On a side note, if everyone would pitch in an extra dollar or two then his birthday dinner would be taken care of. Everyone can always meet at home for coffee and dessert afterwards.

Read More Answers...

A friend of mine had heard we are having our family dinner for Thanksgiving at my house. She made the comment that she could never afford to feed so many people, although she has the space. I told her it was easy on the budget, if you plan ahead.

As soon as you decide to host an event, start putting your plan into action. If money is a real big issue, then instead of volunteering for a holiday where you are to provide a turkey or ham, (such as Thanksgiving or Christmas), pick something else, such as July 4 (hotdogs).

Buy a little each week. Pay attention to your store sales and coupons and work it to your advantage. For example, a month ago, our local grocery store had green beans on sale for 19 cents a can. I had some coupons and got a few for free. The limit was 6 cans per purchase. I usually make a green bean casserole, so I bought 6 cans, husband got 6, and each of the kids got 6. Total, 36 cans; more than enough for green bean casserole. I did the same thing a week later when they had frozen rolls on sale. I got 6 packages for the freezer. I bake our bread from scratch each week, so the week of the dinner, I will also make a few extra loaves.

My husband gets a free ham each year from work, and I have been saving up my reward points from the grocery store to purchase a turkey. Tea is inexpensive, so I also got a new box of tea, knowing I would probably be out by Thanksgiving. So, I already have the meat, drink, bread and two side dishes covered.

I am also providing the potatoes, so this week I picked up 2 large cans of yams (the huge gallon cans) that were on sale for $3.99 a can and a bag of marshmallows for the candied topping. The week of Thanksgiving I will pick up a bag of potatoes for mashed potatoes. I still had pie filling on hand in the pantry, so my pies are already made and in the freezer.

I asked each family attending to bring a covered side dish or a desert. Most of the women in our family have one dish they are "famous" for making, and they love to share. The day before, I will make up some tea and freeze it. That will be used in my drink cooler instead of ice cubes, so as it melts it won't water down everyones drink. I only offer tea and water, so that will cut down on expense.

I also stocked up, with coupons and sales, on TP and Kleenex. Always want to have plenty on hand when you have a crowd. After adding it up, my total will come out to under $75, to feed around 60 people. Not bad at all.

Budgeting to Feed a Crowd
      CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I am having a surprise birthday party for my dad at 2-4 in the afternoon about 2 hours from my home. So I need food that is cheap, easy to transport, and won't spoil in the summer. I also don't have a great deal of time to prepare. I know, that's a lot of caveats!

I will get a cake from Costco, nuts, and mints.

What are the easiest ideas for punch, other snack foods? I am thinking I'll use balloons to decorate, but they are hard to transport. Does anyone have other ideas for decorations in a church basement?

Dress is casual.

Thanks so much!

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Blow up balloons with just plain air, not helium. Tie with a curly ribbon like you would get if you bought helium balloons. Make a loop of tape or use 2-sided tape and tape these balloons onto the ceiling with ribbons hanging down.. Can do ahead and looks as if you had bought helium balloons!

Read More Answers...

Tables set up for a group meal.Every week we host about 20 people for a meal. I'm running out of wheat-free ideas. We have done baked potatoes, salad, beans, hot dogs, and burgers. I prepare the main dish and assign others to bring side dishes. Any really cheap ideas on what else to do? I'd like to not use the oven because it heats up the house and we are in the Houston area so it's still around 100 degrees pretty regularly here.

By Barbara L.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Just noticed the bit about it being hot in Houston. This is my favorite light summer meal. I usually just throw in whatever veggies are on sale instead of what the recipe calls for. They all taste good.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/quinoa-salad-recipe0.html

Read More Answers...

I am having a wedding in the south for 100 people. I am on a budget and have no caterer. How do I feed 100 people for my wedding?

By Jessica T.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

We did this last fall for about 150 people. We served fried chicken, bought from a local grocery store deli (150 pieces of chicken was about $125). We also bought potato wedges from the same store for 25 cents each. We bought 2 per person ($75) and had LOTS left over. We also had ham slices - I don't remember what they are called but the are like small loaves about 6 inches long which gave us about 25 1/4 inch slices from each ham. They were on sale for $7.50 each and had the store slice them for us. We bought 6 hams for about $50, and warmed them in a large roaster with some brown sugar.

We also bought the large cans of green beans at Walmart and cooked them in a large roaster with a pound of bacon. We made up some large veggie trays with ranch dressing and some cheese and crackers. We also bought some loaves of French bread at a local bakery and had them sliced.

We spent a total of about $500. The best thing we did was have a co-worker who volunteered to watch the food during the wedding and had a couple of family members who stopped at the stores between the wedding and the reception to pick up the chicken and potatoes. It seems like a big job, but we found it was kind of fun and a lot cheaper than local caterers that wanted from $12 - $15 per person ($2,000 or so!)

Read More Answers...

I am planning a wedding for my sister. I need to feed 100 people on a limited budget. I think we have at least 10 vegetarians. It doesn't need to be incredibly formal. I need at least one meal for meat eaters, a meal for vegetarians, a couple kinds of salad and some snacky food. The cake is taken care of. I want the food to be as tasty as possible but not too expensive. It can really add up fast when you are feeding this many people. For example, if I budget 10 dollars per person I am looking at 1000, which is too much.

Thank you!

Tammy

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Make a bbq, there are also really great vegetarian recipes and go along with it. I am planning my supper and the trick is to wing it see what your sisters favorite food is as well as her future husband and go from there.

Read More Answers...

I am on a mission here in Iraq. My job is to take care of service members in a very remote area. I can't give you my exact location, but what I am trying to do is bring this area into the 21st century and bring the Iraqi kitchen I deal with up to date on some basic American foods.

We don't have the modern convenience of a corner grocery store in this area and some ingredients are not available unless we travel to Baghdad, which is a very dangerous area right now.

I am trying to introduce a larger variety of American foods to the menu and find that if I can get scratch recipes to feed 150 people three times a day this would help boost the moral of my troops and add a touch of home.

I am looking for recipes that can be made fresh and in bulk. I have cooked for groups of about 20 for special family occasions, but used my recipes and just cooked all day. We use gas stoves here and also deal in the metric system for measuring, any help you can give in the measuring department would be appreciated.

What I am asking for is some simple breakfast, lunch, and dinner, along with some simple cake and dessert recipes and different sauces (canned tomato sauces are not available). We only have the one cook and he does what he can with what he has, but we get the same menu everyday and I have to find more variety that would be usable in this environment.

Some of the basic things we can get and have on hand are, plain flour, baking powder, salt, pepper, eggs, curry, onions, tomatoes, cucumbers, beef, lamb, and chicken. Anything your collective minds can come up with would be deeply appreciated. I guess I should also tell you that everything is served buffet style. I hope all this makes sense to you and look forward to your response.

Thank You,

Renee
        Site Manager, Iraq

I'm having a large get together in a few months (and by large I mean it could be up to 200 or so people) and I need some help. I'm trying to save money by making the food myself and not hiring a cater. Any ideas? or would it be best if I just found a good cater?

By Katlin Y

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

We live in the Country and have about 3-4 rowdy parties a year, with anywhere from 10 to 80 + people. These are my fail-safe, go-to dishes that can feed an army - I always have leftovers! The good thing about them is you can tailor them to your budget (less meat, more veggies, etc..)

Sausage, peppers, onions and potatoes:

Deep disposable aluminum pans

**For each pan you use

1lb Italian sausage cut into 1 inch chunks**

5-8 potatoes peeled and quartered** (depending on size)

2-4 green peppers sliced** (depending on size)

1-3 onions sliced** (depending on size)

Oregano

Basil

Salt & Pepper

~Fill up each pan with first 4 ingredients and mix it up. (You can use more or less of anything - I usually never have enough money for a lb of meat per pan but always clean out my local farmer's market on veggies so I tend to cut the sausage into even smaller pieces and use more vegetables).

~Sprinkle generously with next 4 ingredients.

~Cover tightly with aluminum foil.

~Bake in oven either on Low (250 for 4-5 hrs), or High (375 for about 1 1/2 - 2 hrs). Let cook for at least 2 hrs on low or 1 hr on high before uncovering and stirring, and then just keep warm as long as you need to until you're ready to serve. When done the fat from the sausage and the liquid from the veggies makes a nice tasty juice. I usually make 2 or 3 pans and it's plenty!

Crockpot meatballs:

Fill your crockpot with good quality frozen meatballs. Add either spaghetti sauce or brown gravy, stir, and cook accordingly (Hi or Lo, depending on your time frame) until nice and hot.

Pork and sauerkraut:

I do this in my dutch oven pot on the stove-

2 pkgs of pork (country ribs, pork chops, etc.. and DON'T Trim the fat!! That's what makes the flavor. I buy the cheapest pork on sale that I can find in the grocery. It'll fall apart while cooking).

1/2 lb bacon, diced small

2 lg cans sauerkraut

~Mix everything in the pot, and cook med to med-low til pork is done, depending on your timeframe. I promise you everybody will ask you for your recipe after they've eaten it!

Baked Beans:

1-2 Deep disposable aluminum pans

2 lg cans (or 1 #10 size) of cheap baked beans (Van De Kamps, Campbells or store brand) drained

1-2 lg cans of any flavor Bush's baked beans (OR any baked beans of your choice) NOT drained, and

Any other kind of canned bean you'd like to add, rinsed. I like to add some black beans and great northern beans.

Brown sugar (I use maybe 1/4 c or so)

1 sm can of dice tomatoes

1/2 lb bacon diced small (per pan)

*browned ground beef Optional

~Dump beans and bacon (and browned ground beef if so) in pan, sprinkle generously with some brown sugar, mix, cover, and bake until bubbling. Keep warm till ready to serve.

***You can also add any leftover meats you may have in your fridge...crumbled hamburger, ham, chicken...it's all good and just bulks it up even more!

***I DO NOT precook the bacon for either recipe, I just dice it up small and stir it right in - adds a tremendous amount of flavor that way!

I also buy a family pack/party pack of hot dogs and either grill them or keep them in a crockpot in water.

Any of these can be modified to suit your taste/budget/amt of people.

I put the pans/pots out, paper bowls and plates, and toothpicks (for the meatballs), a couple of plates of sliced breads and/or rolls, and a bag or two of restaurant-style tortilla chips (goes awesomely with the beans.)...and there you go! Fairly cheap food to feed an army! I've never gone broke at my parties and people have left the buffet table full.

If you have any questions about the recipes you can email me dcon64@hotmail.com.

I hope this helps!

Dc

I am looking for recipes to feed 40-50 hungry football players before game night. It needs to be cheap and filling!

By Marlene

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I do this every Friday afternoon. Let me know if you still need information.

Read More Answers...

I have to feed a group of 15 for a weekend. Does anyone have any recipes for nutritious, inexpensive, easy to prepare meals?

By Susan from WY

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I hope I'm not too late. Here are my ideas:

Pasta is cheap, so I would have a pasta night with mac & cheese (3 for a dollar boxes) for the kids maybe and spaghetti for the adults with lots of homemade bread or thrifty bread from a bakery outlet. You could also put out hot dogs with the mac and cheese.

You could get the cheapest lettuce you can find and chop it up for salad and make some homemade dressing or put out oil and vinegar and seasonings.

Next I would have a chicken or turkey and potato night because that would be cheap cheap cheap.

For lunches I would serve homemade soup/stew and lots of homemade bread or marked down bread from the bakery outlet. A pot of plain old beans and bread is sometimes refreshing and a simple surprise to people who are used to eating different things.

For breakfasts I would make lots of pancakes with a large jug of syrup and biscuits with sausage gravy ( you could stretch 2 one pound rolls of breakfast sausage) to a lot of gravy for 15 people. Just saute the sausage with some onions and add flour for rue and then add a gallon of warm milk to make gravy. Add some more flour mixed with cold water if the gravy isn't thick enough. Season to taste.

Pancakes from scratch for 15 people:

5 pounds flour

1/2 cup baking powder

1 TBSP salt

1/2 cup sugar (optional)

6 eggs

1 cup of oil

enough milk to make a good pancake batter consistency.

Biscuits for 15 people:

5 lbs flour

1/2 cup baking powder

2 sticks margarine

1 TBSP salt

enough milk to make the proper biscuit dough consistency. Bake at 425 15-20 minutes

For Desserts and Goodies:

Sugar cookies made from scratch are cheap.

A lot of cakes made from scratch are cheap.

Apples are usually on sale this time of year, so apple crisp or cobbler would be cheap.

Inexpensive Beverages:

Homemade iced tea (100 bags are $1-2)

Homemade hot black tea

Homemade lemonade (bottles of lemon juice are cheap)

Mix 50/50 dry milk reconstituted with fresh milk and serve ice cold.

I hope this helps in time.

Read More Answers...

I need to have enough lemonade for roughly 3000 people. How many gallons do I need? Is 120 gallons enough?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Theoretically you would need 188 gallons for everyone to have one 8 oz glass of lemonade.

I am planning a graduation party for approx. 100 guests. What is the easiest and most inexpensive way to prepare the pulled chicken?

By Mindi

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Google for the information that you need.

Inexpensive recipe ideas for feeding a large crowd (150 or more people) at a dinner party/ how to know how much is needed.

Bonzai from Orem, UT

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Here is an incredible recipe site from Kelowna, British Columbia. She had catering tips and large amount recipes.

This is where I go when I need recipes for a crowd.

http://www.angelfire.com/bc/incredible/

Good luck.

I need some new ideas for feeding our church youth group cheaply. Some times it can be up to 30 kids. So far I have done muffins, cookies, cake/brownies, popcorn, and chips. I do veggie trays when my garden comes in. But, I seem to be at a dead end for something frugal and healthy and filling. Some of those boys eat a lot.

April from NW MO

Answers:

Feeding a Large Crowd Cheaply

I make what my kids used to call "fake lasagna". It is a beef casserole and feeds a crowd. I take hamburger, onion, and green pepper. Brown them and drain. Boil up a bag of half inch wide egg noodles. Drain. Take 2 or three cans tomato soup. You can add some water if too thick. Mix all components together and layer in a couple of 13x9 pans putting shredded cheese in middle and on top. Bake till bubbly and cheese melted. It is easy, inexpensive, and a huge hit especially with the kids. (04/08/2008)

By DAWN

Feeding a Large Crowd Cheaply

Texas sheet cake, which is very easy to make or a pound cake, hot dogs, Sloppy Joes, or cold cuts sandwiches, and punch. I would use Kool-aid, the kids would love it, and it is cheap to make. Try adding whole corn to the Sloppy Joes, will make it stretch and it does not effect taste, my kids and grand-kids love it. (04/08/2008)

By Elva

Feeding a Large Crowd Cheaply

Depends on if you are feeding them snacks or meals. Snacks, big bags of pretzels from Costco, with bowls of peanut butter, Nutella, and maybe marshmallow fluff. The kids love to dip (make savory dips too).
        (04/08/2008)

By michawnpita

Feeding a Large Crowd Cheaply

Lately I like to do stuff in a crock pot or some kind of casserole. But some of my favorites have been bite size stuff (minis). Then carry them in casserole pans with lids or cake carriers. Once at the place you can get creative by making a 3 tiered tower.

Breakfast - mini muffins, fruit kabobs, muffin pan sized quiche, or mini casseroles in a cup.

Lunch/Dinner- Pigs in a blanket, old fashion finger sandwiches, or flour tortillas with cream cheese and ham or whatever- roll and slice into pinwheels chill or freeze before serving. Also a hit are mini bite sized hot dogs and hamburgers use any kind of fridge roll dough to wrap the meat and then bake.

Dessert- Mini: brownies, cheese cakes, or cupcakes, serve coffee or tea. You can make a drink station with different mini flavored creamers and types of sugar.

I loved the rice ball idea with the ice cream scooper. I'm going to do that for my son's 1st birthday that is also a luau/pool party in June. Good luck to you all with your events.

(04/08/2008)

By jax mome

RE: Feeding a Large Crowd Cheaply

Feeding a Large Crowd Cheaply

If you are feeding them for lunch/ dinner, serve spaghetti with meat sauce and a small salad of tomatoes and lettuce. For drinks, serve instant tea and water. Also, do not be afraid to ask your fellow church members for donations to feed the youths. (04/08/2008)

By ATrevino

Feeding a Large Crowd Cheaply

Try rice crispy bars you can add chocolate chips, M and Ms, raisins, or nuts. (04/08/2008)

By Audrey

Feeding a Large Crowd Cheaply

Remember baked potatoes, egg salad, deviled, boiled, cold slaw, hearty soups mixed on site and heated before guests arrive, bean burritos, Spanish corn bread, sauerkraut/ franks sliced diagonally (browned first, then boiled with kraut. Chili-tomato macaroni with sliced onions, boxed macaroni and cheese with English peas, cantaloupe sliced thin, lemonade and limeade, pineapple tea, steamed veggies, stuffed celery/ tomatoes/ fresh bread sticks. Good luck and god bless you.

Lynda from Richardson, TX (04/11/2008)

By Lynda

Feeding a Large Crowd Cheaply

EASY BROWNIES

• 1 pkg cheap cake mix (with no pudding)
        • 1 pkg instant pudding mix
        • 1-2 cups chips

Mix up the pudding with 2 cups milk. (Just whisk it up for a minute or so) and dump in the cake mix. Mix that up and add the chips. Put in a sprayed jelly roll pan, (10 X 15) and bake at 350 for about 30-35 minutes. If you do lemon cake mix and pudding, use white chips. If doing chocolate use chocolate mixes and chocolate chips. You could probably use spice cake and butterscotch pudding and chips. Any combination. Sprinkle with powdered sugar or frost if prefer.
        When cool, cut in squares. (04/11/2008)

By WIsgal

Feeding a Large Crowd Cheaply

Here in the south we make what is called chicken and rice. It will go a long ways. Boil a good size whole chicken with onion and salt and pepper. When done, remove the chicken, cool and debone. ( I usually strain the stock for litter I don't like.) Add two - three cups of white rice (not the minute rice), return the chicken to the pot and bring to a boil, reduce heat and cover until rice is done. This can be enlarged to make up enough for your crowd. Kids really love this "southern comfort" food.
        (01/08/2009)

By Christy M.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
        CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
        Holidays and Parties Parties FoodAugust 24, 2012
        A plate of cold cuts and cheese.
        Serving Cold Cuts to a Large Crowd
        Baby Bottle Feeding
        Bottle Feeding Your Baby
        Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
        Making a Pied Piper Costume
        Lemonade cups on a table for serving to a large group.
        Serving Lemonade to a Large Crowd
        © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 29, 2016 at 12:14:14 PM on 10.0.1.247 in 742 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.