Fixing Soup With Too Much Pepper

It is very dismaying to prepare a delicious soup recipe only to find that you have accidentally added too much pepper. This is a guide about fixing soup with too much pepper.

November 27, 2016 Flag

I had leftover turkey from Thanksgiving. I made a big pot of noodle soup with the leftover turkey. The turkey was already seasoned, but I added red pepper. How do minimize the pepper?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Potatoes absorb too much salt,

so I think it would work with pepper too

Anytime you put too much heat, pepper, hot sauce, add dairy to cut the heat. It could be milk, cheese, yogurt. You learn this in culinary school.

If you can drain off the liquid, perhaps replace half or more of it with fresh turkey broth. Otherwise I agree with the earlier posters: either cream or potatoes.

All of the suggestions sound like good advice.

My family loves hot stuff/food so I many times have made the mistake of getting my food "too" hot.

Since your soup is made with noodles you may not want to add potatoes but you may be able to add instant potatoes and not change the "nature" of the soup too much.

I have tried different ingredients in the past and most seem to work well:

1. add one teaspoon of sugar or honey and one teaspoon of lemon juice. Taste and add a little more if still too hot.

2. milk products (yogurt, sour cream, cream) added a little at a time seem to work but may change the appearance of the soup.

3. I have also added petite diced tomatoes and a little sugar and it worked. (Not all of my added "hot" stuff was just crushed red pepper.)

4. I have also added large chunks of potatoes, cooked until done, and then removed them from the stew. This works with too much salt also.

February 2, 2014 Flag

I made a big pot of vegetable soup using up leftovers. I peppered it twice, my mistake. Can I save the pot of soup? It is currently a bit hot to taste.

By Lorna

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Sour cream is great way to cool down a spicy soup. It won't be a clear brother soup anymore, but it will work.

March 13, 2012 Flag

I put too much pepper in my vegetable soup. What can I do?

By Merna

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If it were me, I would make a second batch without pepper, then combine the two. Don't know how well it would work, but maybe it's worth a try. XD Then you can freeze some.

Add a cut up potato. Works a treat for absorbing excess spices of all kinds.

November 13, 2006 Flag

I made a soup with some hot sauce and it is way too "spicy hot". How can I balance out the spicy heat?

Lucia from Long Island, NY

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You can add some milk to the soup and it should help tone it down a bit.

You can also mix cream into it or if you don't want to change the soup, you can serve it with yogurt to cool down your tongue!

Dilute it down and then add more of the other ingredients to bring the original taste back.

If I get "heavy handed" with my chili, I just add a little sugar and that cools it off nicely. (I use hot sauce as well as chili powder in my chili) Maybe it will work for your soup, too.

You can add some instant potatoes or diced potatoes to the soup. It will help, good luck.

I made a pot of Mulligatawney and I thought it was ruined, it was so spicy. So I sliced a large potato into thin slices and cooked until it was tender. After I pureed the soup, I served it with a large spoonful of creme fresh. It was delicious and no one complained! The potato improved the texture as well

October 12, 2010 Flag

What do you do if you put too much pepper in soup? Is there a fix for this?

By Candace from Austin, TX

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Prevention is worth a pound of cure! Get a pepper grinder; use peppercorns; and grind them fresh you will marvel as your taste buds jump for joy! Other than this, try and scoop as much out as you can; and perhaps add more liquid and make it larger.

A bit of sugar helps, too!

Food and Recipes Food Tips Food FixesFebruary 5, 2014
Bowl of cream of tomato soup garnished with chives.
Freezing Tomato Soup
Soup That's Too Sweet
Fixing Soup That's Too Sweet
bowl of colorful peppers
Bell Pepper Soup Recipes
Woman Making Soup
Soup Making Tips and Tricks
🎉
🎄