Fixing a Perm That is Too Curly

Category Tips
When your hair has taken more curl from a permanent than you want there may be ways to relax the curl. This guide is about fixing a perm that is too curly.

I just had my hair permed a few days ago. I have wavy hair and it keeps on getting fluffy and frizzy so I decided to perm it. After 24 hours, I will be washing it already. I'm just afraid that it might not turn out to be the way I like it. I permed my hair so that it can help my hair return to its normal wavy look since rebonding it will make my wavy hair really obvious. My hair is very curly already. I was actually expecting the stylist to make my hair wavy, but it is very curly. Can anyone please help me on how to attain the curliness that I prefer? Thank you! :)

By Singing97

Your perm will relax after a week or so. Do not wash too much. You will make it dryer and frizzier. Work 2 tablespoons of coconut oil or more through your hair and leave on for 30 minutes or overnight. Overnight is good, Wear a plastic shower cap over it , then shampoo. This will condition your hair and make it soft, and keep it from breaking. When you try to wash the coconut oil out you should use your conditioner first [cream rinse] and shampoo, then condition again. Using the conditioner instead of shampoo first helps get the coconut oil out, your hair will be soft and shiny.

Home permed my hair it has gone all fluffy hate it can I do something about it

I went to the salon to get a body wave, just something to give my fine short hair a lift. I now have an afro, how can I get rid of some of this curl? No, I can't cut my hair shorter.

By Helen

I have a sister who is a retired hair stylist and she always told me just because you have a perm doesn't mean that you don't have to use a blow dryer and round styling brush, then maybe finish it off with a curling iron. She said that is the only way to make a perm look decent. She was always on my case, because I let it go natural, which at the time was popular and for the type of hair I have looked better than without a perm. You could try styling it. Otherwise I don't know what you could do. I know when you get a perm you aren't supposed to shampoo your hair for three days, the stylists tell you that. Maybe if you thought it was too curly at the beginning, you could have shampooed it right away and that might have got rid of some of the curl.