Fixing a Perm That is Too Curly

Category Tips
Perm That is Too Curly
When your hair has taken more curl from a permanent than you want there may be ways to relax the curl. This guide is about fixing a perm that is too curly.

I went to the salon to get a body wave, just something to give my fine short hair a lift. I now have an afro, how can I get rid of some of this curl? No, I can't cut my hair shorter.

By Helen

Answer Was this helpful? 1

I have a sister who is a retired hair stylist and she always told me just because you have a perm doesn't mean that you don't have to use a blow dryer and round styling brush, then maybe finish it off with a curling iron. She said that is the only way to make a perm look decent. She was always on my case, because I let it go natural, which at the time was popular and for the type of hair I have looked better than without a perm. You could try styling it. Otherwise I don't know what you could do. I know when you get a perm you aren't supposed to shampoo your hair for three days, the stylists tell you that. Maybe if you thought it was too curly at the beginning, you could have shampooed it right away and that might have got rid of some of the curl.

I have naturally thick, wavy hair. Last week I went to get a perm, I wanted my waves to look better, but she used too small of a rod so now it is way too curly. I wondered if a keratin treatment would give me my natural hair back. Or almost close to my natural hair. Because I don't want pin straight hair.

Since you went to a salon, I would go back and speak to the owner. Have the owner fix it or refund your money. If you try to fix it yourself, they won't help you.

I would go back there and ask them to fix it.

Here is an article from Livestrong:

Perming changes each hair strands structure. Its impossible to completely reverse this chemical effect on your hair. However, applying a deep conditioning treatment within days of receiving the perm might help loosen the tight curls. Begin by working canola or vegetable oil into your locks. Allow the oil to remain for five to 10 minutes before rinsing it away with water. Apply a thick layer of a moisturizing deep conditioning treatment to your damp hair. Allow it to penetrate for two to three minutes. Rinse the hair and repeat the deep conditioner application. It might take several applications of deep conditioning treatments before you notice any change. However, this might not be effective. If this is the case, consider allowing the curls to loosen naturally over time.

Thank you for your reply, but I've already done this 3 times. I think I'll have to wait it out.

:(

Will the keratin damage my hair even more?

I just had my hair permed a few days ago. I have wavy hair and it keeps on getting fluffy and frizzy so I decided to perm it. After 24 hours, I will be washing it already. I'm just afraid that it might not turn out to be the way I like it. I permed my hair so that it can help my hair return to its normal wavy look since rebonding it will make my wavy hair really obvious. My hair is very curly already. I was actually expecting the stylist to make my hair wavy, but it is very curly. Can anyone please help me on how to attain the curliness that I prefer? Thank you! :)

By Singing97

Your perm will relax after a week or so. Do not wash too much. You will make it dryer and frizzier. Work 2 tablespoons of coconut oil or more through your hair and leave on for 30 minutes or overnight. Overnight is good, Wear a plastic shower cap over it , then shampoo. This will condition your hair and make it soft, and keep it from breaking. When you try to wash the coconut oil out you should use your conditioner first [cream rinse] and shampoo, then condition again. Using the conditioner instead of shampoo first helps get the coconut oil out, your hair will be soft and shiny.

Home permed my hair it has gone all fluffy hate it can I do something about it