Straightening Curly Hair

Category Hair Care
Whether your hair is naturally curly or you have had a perm, you may want to straighten your hair style. This is a guide about straightening curly hair.

This is a guide about straightening permed hair. Sometimes a perm is used to give your hair body, but you still want to have a more sleek style.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

What can I do to get straight hair?

By sarfowah from Ghana

Answers

Best Answer

My curly hair has been the bane of my existence, especially the frizz. I recently bought a ceramic hair straightener called HerStyler and it is amazing.

It straightens my hair very quickly and it lasts for days. Before, I would have a blow-out in the salon and it was curly within 30 minutes.

Best Answer

I am black female, I use a hot iron to straighten my hair, but I also use a chemical relaxer. I had a lot of new growth and have not been to beauty shop because of lack of funds.

So I just washed my hair with conditioner, let it air dry. I chose to let it air dry because I was off work for 2 days and had plenty of time. It take a whole day for my hair to air dry because it is long and thick.

I have been using a hot iron for the past 2 weeks, but you can also use those electric flat iron to straighten your hair. You can add a little setting lotion to make it last a little long. The electric flat iron does not get as hot as the hot iron, so it is a lot safer to use.

I was wondering if there is an easy way to keep my hair straight. I don't want to fry it and I put hair products in my hair and use hair protection and it seems to keep getting split ends.

By sara from southern IL

Answers:

Straightening My Hair

Get a Brazilian keratin treatment grip straightening comb. (06/10/2010)

By venise

Straightening My Hair

Splint ends mean damaged hair. You need it cut back beyond the damage. You need to treat your hair as fragile skin. The older you get, the more it needs to be babied. My hair dresser said even if I don't wash my hair every day, to rinse my hair with my conditioner. You don't have to use a lot, but it needs to be done daily. Especially if you use products on it. Like your face, you need to wash it off.

I am a lap swimmer, meaning hair in the chlorine pool several times a week, summer time at the outdoor pool in the sun. I wear a swim cap, I put conditioner on before swimming to protect my hair. I buy conditioner for treated/colored hair, which has a higher wax to it. Non swim days I use something else.

I get my hair trimmed every 2 months. Even the slightest keeps it healthy. Only a razor trim, no scissors. My hair grows 2 inches in the 2 months. (06/10/2010)

By Grandma J

Straightening My Hair

I have heard that the CHI straightener leaves hair healthy and straight, but I have never been able to try it considering the price. Anyway, I hope this helps! (06/10/2010)

By Aliya

Straightening My Hair

If you have split ends your hair is too dried-out. Cut off the split ends by twisting your hair into a rope and cut off the ends that stick out. Stop using blow dryer and use a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner. This won't straighten your hair, but it'll help with the split ends. (06/11/2010)

By Jennifer

Straightening My Hair

I purchased an "Instyler". They are available at Bed Bath & Beyond. I've seen them in other stores as well. I have curly hair that frizzes in damp weather. But it doesn't do it anymore. It stays straight and silky for days. I love this product! (06/11/2010)

By Linda

Straightening My Hair

At-home keratin treatments (or in-salon, if you can afford it) will help keep hair straighter longer. (06/14/2010)

By Molly Ringer

Straightening My Hair

I knew a girl who used a gentle "permanent" to straighten her hair. With help from a friend, instead of using curlers, she kept her head tilted downward and combed the hair continuously during the processing time. Her hair was very straight and she only required a little blow-drying to maintain for several weeks. (06/21/2010)

By sherrimc

I would like to know how to naturally straighten my dry, really frizzy, thin, and really restless hair. I already know about using milk, but it didn't work out for me too well.

Selena

Answers:

Straightening My Hair

I use straightening serum, a round brush, and a blow dryer. V05 makes a good one and so does Tigi Bedhead Control Freak. (04/27/2006)

By Kat

Straightening My Hair

Hi I am am hair stylist. if you want it straight you can do a few things. One, you can use a Chi flat iron they are about $200 or less. Use the 1 inch, it is the best one they make. If you want to chemically straighten your hair you can actually use a perm. Now the way this works is you will need to apply the perm to your air and comb it straight as you can. Let the perm sit for the amount of time it says to on the box. Now once you rinse the perm waving lotion out you will blot the hair dry and then comb it straight again. Now apply the neutralizer to the hair work it all the way through, comb it straight. After 5 minutes you will rinse your hair one more time. Find a neutralizing conditioner after you rinse out the neutralizer after the 5 minutes you will use a neutralizing conditioner keeping the hair as straight as you can. Rinse and comb back straight, let dry and you will have straight hair. To keep down any frizz use a neutralizing shampoo and conditioner. It will keep your cuticles closed giving you shinier hair. And stop using Pantene, it has too much wax in it; that stuff kills hair. (05/08/2006)

By Pete Anderson

Straightening My Hair

If your hair is in poor condition, I don't recommend you do anything to it. Work on improving the condition first, using a good conditioner, Queen Helene's Cholestrol is good and cheap. You can also use olive oil. Damaging your hair more, is the last thing you want to do. (05/08/2006)

Straightening My Hair

Put milk in spray bottle and spritz spray hair thoroughly with milk.
Comb, set, and let dry in hair for about 20 minutes.
Shower normally. (12/02/2007)

By Sunny

Straightening My Hair

I have been using Chi hair straighteners since last 1 month. Its really taking care my hair. hairstraightenercare.com (12/23/2008)

By sweata

What are the steps involved in hair straightening? What has to be done to keep it that way?

I have naturally curly (very curly) hair, and I am trying to straighten it without chemicals or heat, does anyone have any suggestions?