Straightening Curly Hair

What can I do to get straight hair?

By Nirgee from Ghana

Best Answer

My curly hair has been the bane of my existence, especially the frizz. I recently bought a ceramic hair straightener called HerStyler and it is amazing. It straightens my hair very quickly and it lasts for days. Before, I would have a blow-out in the salon and it was curly within 30 minutes.

Best Answer

I am black female, I use a hot iron to straighten my hair, but I also use a chemical relaxer. I had a lot of new growth and have not been to beauty shop because of lack of funds.

So I just washed my hair with conditioner, let it air dry. I chose to let it air dry because I was off work for 2 days and had plenty of time. It take a whole day for my hair to air dry because it is long and thick.

I have been using a hot iron for the past 2 weeks, but you can also use those electric flat iron to straighten your hair. You can add a little setting lotion to make it last a little long. The electric flat iron does not get as hot as the hot iron, so it is a lot safer to use.

You may want to have your hair pressed. Try an ethnic beauty shop.

I have small wavy un-relaxed hair, after washing part hair into two ponytails then apply medium amounts (nickel size or more, your choice) to palms of hand, then to your hair. Brush hair with a stiff brush to straighten and pull into a ponytail, add a thick cloth rubber band and two strand twist each pony tail, and let it air dry. It will be sorta strait and all you have to do is let down and wear wavy or curl with curlers if you like.

I was born with natural curly hair that will lay in ringlets and I have hated it my entire life which is now 57 years. Here are the things I have learned from this long battle. Always Always put some sort of leave in conditioner in your hair. I prefer the Suave Keratin as it now lasts for 3 days. I do like to switch it up and I also like Moroccan Oil. Before you Flat Iron your hair make sure it is 100% dry. I like to wash it the night before and blow dry it and then use the flat iron in the morning. If I wash and dry and flat iron all one right after the other, I do get more frizz. If I really need to make sure that it stays straight for a special occasion or pictures, I will use just a small amount of hairspray after my hair is all done. I have a Chi and a Revlon Flat Irons. I like them both, but none of them will keep my hair straight if I get hot and sweaty. But if all else fails I will do a pony tail or a clip. I never use any other hot oil treatment on my hair than olive oil. It is completely natural and washes out easily and will NOT make the shower slippery. Now I used to go to the salon and have a hair straightener done to my hair at a cost of $300 a year. A few years back Suave made a Keratin Hair Straightening Kit. It was only about $15 and it worked great. Some people swore they burned their hair up, and the filed a law suit and they took it off the market. But before it was all gone I bought like 15 of them and at least once a year and sometimes twice, I use them and have never had a single problem with them. (Thank God for Ebay!) I hope some of my findings will help someone else. I hate my curly hair and wish there was a permanent solution.