Straightening Permed Hair

Category Hair Tips
Sometimes a perm is used to give your hair body, but you still want to have a more sleek style. This is a guide about straightening permed hair.

I want to straighten my hair after having a perm. I also color my hair. How can I safely straighten it?

Answers

Anonymous

It's been two weeks I want to straight my hair

I just got a perm last week and I hate it. Now I want my natural straight hair back. Will it get messed up or fall out if i get it straighten? Please help me.

Nicole from Methuen, MA

Answers

Believe it or not if you had natural straight hair it will relax again on its own without causing further damage to it by trying to straighten it. To many chemicals on it too soon will burn it up. Each night wet your hair and put conditioner on it that is for treated hair and let it set on your hair while wrapped up in a towel for 20 minutes, this will give the dry hair its moisture back. Try not to blow dry your hair for awhile just let it air dry if possible after you have conditioned well. after 4 weeks you should see a great difference in the relaxing of it.

Most times its the ends that were damaged worst by the perm so maybe getting a 1-2 inch trim on the ends in 4 weeks after its relaxed some will cut off that burnt ends, make you feel better and start your new hair to grow back which will boost your natural straight hair again.

You can wear your hair up until then in clips so it does not look so full and bushy and will make you feel better too until it relaxes on its own. don't curl it with curling iron or rollers or braid it for that will just make it want to spring more. good luck.

Anonymous

As long as your hair is in good condition all you have to do (or have your stylist do) is use the same perm solution but gently comb it through the hair and leave on five or ten minutes. Rinse and then apply neutralizer and gently comb and leave on for five minutes. Shampoo and then condition and you're hair will be straight again. I am a licensed Cosmetologist of over thirty years and as long as your hair is in good condition and not overly chemically processed your hair will be just fine. I've done reverse perms several times in my career, including my own hair. Let us know what you decide :-)

Definitely get professional help. If the salon that did this won't help you or if you feel uneasy about their ability to take care of the problem without wrecking your hair, find a different salon.

You can buy product's over the counter to straighten your hair if you do not get any satisfaction from the place who did your hair,which more then likely may happen.If you really get desperate before they came out with product's to straighten hair I was so upset with mine I ironed it with your normal everyday iron,and then used more conditioner then I normally do and well I was DESPERATE it looked like something out of a 1930's movie and I had to attend a wedding the next day there was nothing out there so....it worked but I had allot of body to my hair something I never had before.Good Luck I know just how you feel.Darlene

First try shampooing and deep conditioning every day for a week. It may relax to the point where you like it. If not, buy a gentle perm from a supply house like Sally's that sells to the general public. Ask for a gentle one like "One for All." Mis and pour the part A solution (starting at roots) on your hair and comb through with large comb. Contineue combine until you see the hair straighten out. Read instructions for length of leave perm solution on. Rinse out for 5 minutes with warm water. Apply neutralizer part B in the same way. Leave on 5 minutes. Rinse with tepid water. Condition.

Don't use a chemical straightener! Your hair may very well break off and/or fall out. Chemical straighteners are very, very strong. I would suggest that you just wash it over and over and over. Use a deep conditioner over and over too. This will relax it some. I've heard of women using a perm to straighten their hair some. They just comb the perm solution in their hair and rinse it when the time is up. Then comb the neutralizer in it for the right amount of time and then rinse. I wouldn't try this myself because it will damage the hair too. Just wash it like crazy and learn to style it until it grows out. That's one great thing about hair. It always will grow out. Good luck! God Bless!

Why not go back to the place where you got your perm and let them figure out how to make it look nice? I got a perm, hated it, had no idea how to fix it (I brushed it out) and she was very understanding, helped me with styling ideas and that's all it took for me to get it right.

I hated my perm so the solution is to get a perm kit, follow the instructions as if perming but just comb through straight for 20 minutes, keeping the hair as tight as possible. Result my straight hair back!do condition well!!...Don't suffer just straighten.

I need some hair advice. Back at the end of February, the 27th, to be exact I went and had a body wave done professionally. I kept repeating to the girl that I did not want a spiral perm or the poodle look. I even showed her pics of what I had in mind, which was like a nice beachy wave. She said yes we could do that and I even asked her to show me the size of the curlers and I was very hesitant with her choice as she picked a light peach color and a darker peach color and said since my hair was so thick that she picked those sizes so it would hold curl.

Well needless to say I turned out with poodle/spiral perm. I hated it instantly and even told her I did not like it and that it was not what I had in mind she told me it would relax and give it some time.

I even washed my hair the very next day in hopes that it would relax it a little. It did not. I took it upon myself to try and straighten it. I went to buy a perm and was just going to comb thru the perm solution to my desired wave when the gal at the store talked me into using an ethnic relaxer and said it would be less damaging. I did this and ended up damaging my hair. It lost elasticity, my hair was breaking, and falling out. I looked like I had crimped my hair. I ended up having to chop my hair off! I couldn't even get a brush or my fingers through it.

It was a little past my shoulders and ended up with the super short Marilyn Monroe type haircut. Now that the relaxer has worked its way out, the curl is back but only on one side of my head. So I have one side that still has the ugly crimped look and the other side that has curl.

I don't know if I should reperm the parts that are not curly, or if I should get it relaxed, or just get it straightened? All of which will be done professionally! It has been about 25 weeks since the perm and maybe 24 since the relaxer. I have also had my hair colored back at the beginning of May.

I have also been doing deep conditioning treatments at various salons and even do treatments at home a few times a week.

Any advice would be helpful, as I am also going to let the person know all of this and take what advice they tell me, but any insight before my appointment will help set me up for what to expect.
Thank you!

Answers

I'm sorry it took so long to answer your question but I didn't remember the name of the product I wanted to recommend until I could get to the store to look for it. I've had the same problem you have -twice - and this product saved my hair both times. Infusium. You can find it in the hair section at Walmart or probably other places. It's almost almost found on the bottom shelf in a small bunch - mostly gray bottles. Follow the instructions and you'll soon have your hair back - may take a few applications but you'll notice the difference the very first time - marvelous product that's been around many, many years. Good for all kinds of hair damage, not just perm damage. Good luck!

I have done a perm and now I don't like it. How do I get back my original hair?

Nirosha

Answers

Buy the same perm you used to perm your hair. Saturate hair with perm solution (do not apply enough to drip). Gently comb solution through hair with wide toothed comb. The process should take about five minutes. You can relax the curl or remove all depending on how long you leave the solution on the hair. When you have relaxed the curl to the degree you want, rinse thoroughly, blot with towel, apply neutralizer for required time, rinse. Simple, easy.

Was this a home perm? I believe you can buy products that will relax your hair. If you really hate it, maybe go to a hairdressing school and have them relax the curl for you.

You can't go back. a perm is PERMANENT. Either wait until it grows out or cut your hair short so you cut most of the perm out.

In the past 2 years I got a curly perm on my hair and now it's kind of wavy, but I want it back to my natural healthy straight hair. Is it possible that it will go back to my natural straight hair? What can I do to make it back to my natural hair?

By Rome from North Hills, CA

Answers

If you had your last perm two years ago it should be completely straight by now. Have you had it cut since the last perm? Most people get their hair cut at least once in between perms and some get it cut two or three times, getting a perm at the same time it is cut for the third time.

Hair sometimes becomes curly having been previously straight, or visa versa. If the last perm you had was two years ago, it is long gone from your hair. Hair grows out about 1/2 an inch per month, so unless your hair is extremely long, there will not be any hair on your head that was ever permed. If you meant that you have had perms regularly for the last two years, it will take a few months for the perm to wear out and for your hair to grow out. If you wear it short, it certainly will take less time.

I just permed my hair last night and let it air dry and was wondering if I can straighten it with the flat iron already? I mostly permed it to get body in my flat hair and maybe to let it air dry when in a hurry.

By Ivf

Answers

They tell you in a salon to wait at least a full day to shampoo after a perm. I would wait a couple of days to use a flat iron it, just to be on the safe side.

yes you should not have a problem. Just no coloring for 6 weeks and no washing for 3 days

Kelly

I have very healthy medium/long hair. I have never permed my hair and it's been about 1 year since I colored it last. I'm wanting to get a light wavy perm because I want a style that is a little easier to manage seeing as I have a very busy lifestyle. (I am a working mother of two little ones. On occasion I will wear my hair straight. It's naturally straight, but I try and curl it every night before bed so it just needs a few touch ups in the morning. So if I go ahead and get the right kind of perm for my hair, on those occasions I decide I want to style and wear my hair straight will that damage my hair too much or ruin the perm?

By Emily S. from Forreston, IL

Answers

Any answer depends upon your hair type, condition, length, etc. I suggest that you make an appointment with your hair stylist to address your questions and concerns. You will then have an opinion from a trained specialist to help you in your decision.

I've had my perm for about two months now and it isn't super damaged or frizzy or anything, I just want my natural hair back. Is there anyway I can speed the "perm fall out" process along?

By Amelia

Answers

Have you considered consulting a local salon, Amelia? Of course you can always opt for a very short haircut (I love mine; it's virutally wash and go), but please be careful about chemical additives? When we perm or colour our hair, we forfeit nutrients galore. Using more chemicals to counteract a perm would only result in more damage. If anything, I'd recommend egg yolk treatments at least once a week (check Google for instructions).

I got my perm 1 yr ago. It didn't keep as long as others have. I have been getting perms about every 2 years since 1988, anyway I'm wanting to go back to my straight hair like it naturally was. Please tell me can a cosmetologist do this as far as get it back straight or am I stuck with this wave/curl that's left until it grows completely out?

By Tigergal01

Answers

If you had been getting it cut on a regular basis in the last year, the perm would be almost gone. I have never in my 74 years had a perm that lasted a year. I usually get one every three months. Talk to a hair stylist about it.

I got a second perm at the beginning of September. My first perm was lovely, but I hate this one. I have really thick hair and I do not think it is growing at all, but I have got really dry ends.
I spend a fortune on the best products to keep my hair nice and in good condition. For some reason it's not happening this time. Could I get it straightened? I have read there is a product on the market to do this. Would you recommend this?

By cath brennan