Fixing the Eyelids on a Doll

I bought a doll at a thrift store and the eyelids have got a slit across them when the eyes are closed. The doll has very soft lifelike rubber that feels like real skin and the doll was put out by Mattel Co. in 2000. It is a Mattel Miracle Moves Interactive Baby Doll. What I want to know is, is there someone out there that can tell me how to repair the slits that are on the eyelids. When the eyes are closed there is a gap in the "skin", but when the eyes are open you can't see the slits.

Here is a picture of the dolls eyelids. I hope that you can see them clearly enough to make a comment. I thought about super glue, but that would make the eyelids hard. I can push the eyelids together with my fingers and it goes together perfectly, so there is not any material missing from the eyelids. It just looks like it is.

The doll also makes all kinds of baby noises, like laughs, sneezes, gurgles, and so on. I have been looking for one of these dolls for a few years now and when I found this one I could not pass it up for the price (3.00). She is the brown doll with the black hair and also has lifelike eyelashes. So if anyone can help me here I would appreciate it so very much. Thank you for your time and kindness. Take care, God bless you and your loved ones.

By Cassie

I have seen these dolls before and they are very neat, but I've never bought one myself. I have an Amazing Ally doll that I believe is made of similar material. I haven't had to make any repairs to her, but I've used E 6000 glue on similar materials with much success. It works kind of like a more high power rubber cement. Dries clear, very flexible (so that would be great for a doll who's eyes open and close) and pretty easy to work with. It's available at most craft stores and I've even seen it at Walmart. I swear by the stuff for so many repairs, so don't feel like it's something you will buy once and never use again. The only thing I can say is make sure you get the excess off before it dries as it can be hard to pull it away without removing the entire repaired bit. Also it is pretty sticky so you may want to apply it with some sort of toothpick or one of those tiny plastic swords to avoid getting it on your hands. In a pinch a plastic fork with some of the prongs broken off also works well. Just squeeze a bit out onto a paper plate and swirl your tool around in it a bit and then apply. Good luck! I hope it works!

Home and Garden Repair ToysJune 11, 2011
Making a No-Sew Sock Baby Doll
Making a No-Sew Sock Baby Doll
Fixing a Squeaky Shoe
Fixing a Squeaky Shoe
Fixing Frizzy Doll Hair
Fixing Frizzy Doll Hair
Office chair with lime green cushions.
Fixing a Squeaky Office Chair