Fleas on My Cat and Her Kittens

Fleas on My Cat and Her Kittens
My mother cat and kitten are infested with fleas and bleeding. If they sit anywhere there is blood! What do I do?

By Miggie from Flemington, NJ

Answers:

Fleas on My Cat and Her Kittens

Use plain Pert shampoo. It shocks the flea into a coma for a few minutes and you can brush or comb out, or you can take vinegar, 1 teaspoon to a spray bottle of water. That helps deter them. Cats don't like vinegar too much. (07/17/2010)

By gogalyboo

Fleas on My Cat and Her Kittens

A few drops pf Tea Tree Oil in water can be very helpful. Fleas do not like the oil, but it will not hurt the kittens. You must only use a little in the water then you can apply it with cotton balls on the kittens and maybe something bigger like a small cloth with the mother. Wet the cloth or the cotton and make sure you get it down to the skin. The oil will also relieve the itch.
(07/17/2010)

By dvsbeauty

Fleas on My Cat and Her Kittens

The blood loss is going to be particularly bad for the kitten. The fact that blood is left behind wherever they've been sitting is very concerning. I suggest you get them to the vet ASAP.

Last year I rescued a kitten and he had fleas. I took him to the vet the day after we found him. He was just under one pound, and was too little to medicate for the fleas. He was very lethargic and probably would have died in a day or two if we hadn't taken him in. I had to wash him with dishwashing liquid and comb him with a flea comb. Once he was big enough, we gave him meds to get rid of the fleas. The vet should be able to give you good advice for treating your cats.

Please take them to the vet, especially the kitten! I hope it goes well for all of you. Best of luck. (07/17/2010)

By mrs.story

Fleas on My Cat and Her Kittens

You need to get rid of the fleas on the animals, house, and property, ASAP. The solution that I would follow is put Frontline or Advantage on the cats. Read on what age/product can be used on a young kitten. You can get those products from any local vet or PetCo. It's to be used monthly on the back of their necks. The cats almost certainly have tape worms from chewing the fleas.

They need to be wormed with Droncit or whatever the vet recommends. The new dewormers take care of all of them at the same time. Don't go getting holistic here. Do it right and have the vet give you what is needed. The next thing is to deflea your house and all other areas that your cats go. Go to PetSmart for the right products. Clean all throw rugs and sleeping areas. Another tip, the product, Revolution, kills ear mites.

From personal experience:
The tapes cause the cats to get the runs that end up outside the litterbox and splashes the sides of the box. Very stinky and messy; also dehydrates the cat. Also, the cats might not use the box if it's a bad experience for kitty using the box, like getting stomach cramps or pain while pooping.

Advantage is my favorite to use on a cat. Frontline has something in it that us more poisonous in the ingredients or toxic to the environment.

(07/21/2010)

By sandcanyongal

Fleas on My Cat and Her Kittens
kitten with fleas
Getting Rid of Fleas on Kittens
Valentine's Day Tips for Men, Man giving a heart shaped chocolate box and roses.
Valentine's Day Tips for Men
Feeding a Picky Cat
Feeding a Picky Cat
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding. Upclose photo of a flea.
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding
🎄
🍂
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on November 17, 2016 at 12:29:08 PM on 10.0.1.65 in 989 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.