Food for Thought on Your Grocery Budget

Me and my husband went grocery shopping for meals for the week. He bought a roast for $15 and a big pack of hamburger for almost $15. I complained that it was too much money in our food budget for two packs of meat. Well, as it turns out it was not.

The roast scored us three meals. I switched it up with variations, such as hot beef sandwiches. The hamburger scored us three meals: hamburgers, chili, and meat for goulash. So that $30 in meat got us six total meals for the two of us, not bad at about $5 a meal for two!

Now, I will not balk at the price with this in mind. Of course I had other things on hand to complete the meal, so it was truly affordable to make these meals for not much money at all.

sounds good, I love to save money

I find roasts and whole chickens are the economical way to stretch our grocery budget because of how versatile they can be in providing meat for so many varying meals. I buy meat when price is low. I recently bought several whole chickens for 87 cents a pound and pork shoulder roasts for 99 cents a pound.