Stretching Your Food Budget

Category Meal Planning
Man Shopping for  Food on a Budget
There are many ways with smart shopping and planning that you can make your grocery money go farther. This is a guide about stretching your food budget.

I had a dilemma. I needed to make a single whole chicken feed my family of five for two days. We had been going through some thin times and I had been as creative as I could while trying to stretch every dollar to it's limit. Well, as it turned out, we had more than enough for 2 dinners, we had enough leftovers for lunch on the third day!

Directions:

Here's how I did it:

I rinsed the chicken under cold running water and placed it in a small roasting pan that I sprayed with cooking spray. I poured 1/4 of a cup of cold water over the chicken and seasoned it with salt and pepper. Then I put in in the oven at 350 degrees F and roasted it just until the juices ran clear.

After letting the chicken rest for a little while, I cut off both legs, both thighs, and both breasts. Then I put 1/4 of the bag of noodles into boiling salted water, cooked them until tender. Drained them and served them with the chicken after tossing them with a little butter and salt and pepper. I also served them with a can of peas I had in my cabinet. (This made 6 servings).

I saved the chicken carcass with the wings intact and left them in the juices in the roasting pan and stored them in the fridge overnight.

The next day, I put the chicken carcass along with the cooking juices in a Dutch oven on the stove top and added 4 cups of water. I boiled the chicken for 15 minutes to make a good broth and then removed the chicken from the water. I let the chicken cool enough to handle and removed all of the meat from the bones and put it back in the dutch oven. I chopped the celery, onion and carrots and added them to the water. I brought the chicken mixture back to boil and reduced the heat, allowing the mixture to simmer until the vegetables were fork-tender. Then I stirred the remaining egg noodles into the broth and continued to cook until done. Add additional salt and pepper to taste. (This made 10 generous servings).

Servings: 16
Time:15 Minutes Preparation Time

2 Hours Cooking Time

By tammyhigginb from Berea, Kentucky

Me and my husband went grocery shopping for meals for the week. He bought a roast for $15 and a big pack of hamburger for almost $15. I complained that it was too much money in our food budget for two packs of meat. Well, as it turns out it was not.

The roast scored us three meals. I switched it up with variations, such as hot beef sandwiches. The hamburger scored us three meals: hamburgers, chili, and meat for goulash. So that $30 in meat got us six total meals for the two of us, not bad at about $5 a meal for two!

Now, I will not balk at the price with this in mind. Of course I had other things on hand to complete the meal, so it was truly affordable to make these meals for not much money at all.

Trying to make budget meals exciting can be a challenge these days. I use a three prong approach:

1. To stretch meals, I use a metal meat tenderizer tool to pound the meat. It tenderizes the cheaper cuts of meat and makes the portions seem larger.

2. To bring some excitement and color to meals I use diced colored bell peppers, parsley, red onions, canned mushrooms: whatever seems to be on hand and is colorful to bring some sparkle to the dish. These additions also help stretch the dish without too much added cost.

3. Adding a little extra seasoning helps to fool my tongue into thinking I'm having a larger portion because the taste is intensified. A happy tongue means a happy tummy.

By Frazzled Leslie from New Orleans LA