Foodsaver Tips and Tricks

Food savers can help you vacuum pack all kinds of foods and other things. This guide contains foodsaver tips and tricks.

Foodsaver on Kitchen Counter
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

February 2, 2010 Flag

I have a Ziploc vacuum storage pump and a vacuum food storage machine and use them for everything imaginable! To tell the truth the kitchen is the place they're used the least! Here are some examples of what I use them for. In some of these (with the vacuum machine bags), I have to create larger bags by cutting the roll to the length that I need, then cutting one or two more lengths, cutting them open lengthwise, and sealing them together, then sealing across the bottom. Then when it's full, sealing it across the top normally.

• Traveling: Here I use the Ziploc bags and pumps. I use the gallon size bags, put socks, nylons, other small clothing items in, seal it and vacuum the air out. I also put one or two items of other larger clothing (t-shirts, underwear, blouses, slacks (jeans won't fit), etc into a gallon size bag, seal and vacuum. This saves tons of space in the suitcase. You could even go with a smaller suitcase using this method. The pump is small so doesn't take up hardly any space at all.

• Trips To The Beach/Pool/Lake: The ziplock bag system is perfect for bringing home wet suits and towels in without getting everything else wet.

• Out Of Season Linens: They advertise Space Bags for these, but I've never had a space bag stay sealed for very long. This is where the vacuum machine comes in, and creating the size bags you need. I store everything from tablecloths and place mats to sheets, blankets and quilts. I also store out of season clothes, sweaters and coats this way. It's amazing how much closet space is saved!

• Seasonal Candles:I re-use candles from year to year (that's another post). When the season for a particular candle is over (i.e. pine for Christmas) I put it in a vacuum machine bag and vacuum seal it. It will still be like new for the next year!

• Craft Supplies: I'm an avid crocheter/knitter/plastic canvas/latch hooker. Pretty much anything to do with yarn. Which means I have more yarn than I have space to store it! So I use the Ziplock bags to store the leftovers, and smaller skeins in. I sort them according to like colors and types.

• And Finally The Kitchen! Vacuum sealing works wonders for sealing and storing/keeping everything except breads and liquids! Breads get smashed and liquids get sucked out during the vacuuming.

I use the vacuum bags and pump here because the bags are able to be opened, some removed, and resealed/vacuumed. I buy meats and veggies in bulk, cut them into individual serving size, vacuum seal and pop them in the freezer (dating the bags of course). Things stay good much longer this way.

I also use it in the fridge. It keeps leftovers, fruits, all sorts of things lots longer than putting it in a storage container. I've had lettuce (you know how fast that goes bad) last and stay crisp for up to 2 weeks!

I also prepare my own TV dinners, and vacuum seal them to go in the freezer, Not only healthier and tastier, but last much longer than the store-bought ones too.

• Another idea: If you are preparing a dish to take to a pot luck, then prepare it as usual and put it in the dish to take it in. Create a vacuum seal bag large enough to fit the whole thing in, and seal it closed (with the dish lid on). Then when you get to where you are going, there will be no spills or mess along the way.

By Cricketnc from Parkton, NC

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 29, 2005 Flag

I recently borrowed a friends "food saver" to freeze some meat. The food saver worked great, and I insisted on replacing the roll of bags that I had used. To my surprise, the roll cost me $10.00 at Walmart. I would like to purchase my own food saver, and remember years ago, seeing one advertised on TV that you can use on any type of plastic bag and you could also reseal plastic bags that vegetables and frozen foods were purchased in. Does anyone know of any brand(s) of food savers that the bags don't cost so much and one that you can use to reseal all types of plastic bags with?

Thanks!
Debbie from New Jersey

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have a friend who uses one of these sealing devices because her husband smokes salmon for Christmas/Hannuakah and they give their friends and business associates chunks of fish as gifts. The sealed bags make giving easier for everyone.

However, I use these great clips from Sweden that are widely available. Imagine a hinged piece of plastic that clips closed at one end. I use these for bread, cereal, bagged frozen veggies and more. They come in a package of 20 and are readily available in cookware stores and through the King Arthur Flour catalog. It seems to me that this a simpler, "greener" solution to the problem of resealing bags and means that you are buying less plastic landfill materials.

Hi, I have had my, food saver for about 7 years.My friend bought a kitchen aid. It did not last season to season. No one mentioned food saver also has mason jar sealers.You can get one for, big or small mouth jars.I use mine a lot for, dried beans from my garden. You could make chex mix for X-MAS, seal and give. Seal flour, rice, sugar, almost anything. I LOVE MINE, and so does my friends.

Hi, I have had my, food saver for about 7 years.My friend bought a kitchin aid, did not last seson to season. No one mentioned food saver also has mason jar sealers.You can get one for, big or small mouth jars.I use mine alot for, dried beans from my garden.You could make chex mix for X-MAS, seal and give. Seal flour,rice,sugar, almost anything. I LOVE MINE, and so does my friends.

Thanks for the advice about buying from ebay! I bought the food saver when my hubby was deployed to Iraq and used it for so many things. I have to agree about the lack of help from the company. My cutter is wearing out and you can't buy a replacement! How stupid is that? That told me to BUY an cutter accessory. Of ocurse I would have to pay shipping on the stupid thing...NO THANKS.. I will use my scissors to cut if I have to...what a horrible comapny.

Read More Answers...

October 25, 2009 Flag

I have the vacuum seal machine for the gallon and quart size Ziplock bags, but I cannot find the bags in the stores here anymore. What can I do to get some?

By Janice from Salt Lake City, UT

You can also just cut the appropriate size hole in a regular zip lock bag in an appropriate spot for what you're vacuuming, vacuum and just seal the hole with a small piece of packaging tape.

I found mine at Wal Mart. I just bought the generic brand, but they work just as well. And to my surprise, they carry more sizes this way than they do in the brand name ones.

The Ziplock bags are still available. I've found them at WalMart, KMart, and Smith's. The Handi-Vac bags from Reynolds were discontinued, not the Ziplock brand.

I get my quart sized bags at http://www.thesweetattack.com/page/page/2380629.htm

They have the best prices that I could find. They also sell rolls to customize bags.

Read More Answers...

March 17, 2012 Flag

I recently bought mason jars that came with lids and rings. I plan on saving salad in them with my food saver and jar sealer attachment that I just bought. Do I have to replace the lids each time I use the jars for this purpose?

By Francine from Nashua, NH

No, they can be reused a couple of times as long as they seal.

The lids can be reused indefinitely, as long as they are not bent when opened and the underside is not scratched and rusting. I'd keep them separate from canning lids, if you can to preserve foods.

November 11, 2004 Flag

That foodsaver vac 300 is useful for more than just food. I don't own one, but it would be great for packaging jewelry for a yard sale, salt for your husband's lunchbox, even as a type of laminator for precious keepsakes. I have a Christmas card from my Mother, who is now with the Lord. I keep it in plain sight in my kitchen and it gets a lot of dirt. Wouldn't the Foodsaver be great for it?

By springmaid5

November 4, 2004 Flag

I freeze a lot of leftovers in individual servings in food saver bags. If it is liquidy, I freeze it in the bag before I seal it. This way if I don't want to cook, everybody picks what they want. Also good for taking to work.

By Vickie

October 22, 2004 Flag

The Foodsaver is not just for food. I use it to vacuum pack face cloths, etc. and for travel. No more bottles spilling out onto your clothes. By Sandy

January 6, 2005 Flag

Vacuum sealing individual meals of leftover turkey and gravy, ham or roast beef and freeze, it stays fresher when vacuum sealed. They can be heated in the bags in boiling water. By Syd

October 14, 2004 Flag

After putting meat to be vacuumed into the Foodsaver bag, I then enclose the cut-out from the supermarket meat sticker/description indicating cut of meat, weight, date, etc. Then I 'seal' the meat and record the date of the sealing with a black permanent marker. By Lynn in Norfolk, VA

August 30, 2004 Flag

I would like feedback on the food saver machines. Do they really do what they say? Is it frugal or expensive to use the bags, canisters, etc.?

Oh, YES, they will become your new best friend.

Just be sure to get the one that you can use the large mouth jar sealer on Mason jars.

Food lasts a long time in the freezer without developing freezer burn ... like 2 years. The bags can be washed and reused, but you have to be careful when packaging meats with sharp bones, shrimp, fish, etc., because without a protective covering (an old plastic bag) you can get pin holes in the bags that will take on air.

I limit what I use bags for, since they are more expensive than jars ... you don't want to vacuum seal items for short term use or freeze relatively cheap items. Bread is not an item that vacuums well...hockey pucks!

There is a Yahoo Group for the Food Saver you can join too! Lots of nice people and good tips.

The bags can be bought at Sam's Club & Costco for a box of several sizes much cheaper than buying the individual rolls at say, Wal-Mart.

I use a lot of Mason jars for short term storage and freeze left-over soup, etc. in pints for individual servings. A few jars in the freezer is OK, don't get carried away and try to store too many!

Tilia is the distributor and does informercials ... don't buy from them; they are very high plus have shipping charges. Shop around and they have specials. Prices vary ... buy the best you can afford.

You won't be sorry.

I have had my Foodsaver for about 2 years, and wouldn't know what to do with out it. I just this weekend went to the farmers market and stocked up on fruits and vegetables which I then came home a portioned packed. I also routinely buy meat in bulk at Costco, and then repackage into packages for 1 or 2. I received mine as a present and must say it is the best present ever.

Mine is a lemon it wont seal wont vacuum even tried walmart GV bags - no luck with these. In my opinion zip lock bags at Dollar Generak are a better investment

Yes, definitely. If you have a Costco buy it from them. You can also buy online from them. The price is around $134.00 but you get the top of the line model with 3 canisters and two rolls of bags. If you ever have any problems just take it back and exchange it. They are GREAT about returns.

Read More Answers...
Food and Recipes Food Tips Kitchen ToolsJune 4, 2012
Foodsaver
Repairing a Foodsaver
Foodsaver on Kitchen Counter
FoodSaver Reviews
Foodsaver
Repairing a Foodsaver
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 30, 2016 at 2:03:50 PM on 10.0.2.136 in 567 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.