Browsing: Foodsaver Tips and Tricks

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Foodsaver Tips and Tricks

Food savers can help you vacuum pack all kinds of foods and other things. This guide contains foodsaver tips and tricks.

Foodsaver on Kitchen Counter
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

February 2, 2010 Flag

I have a Ziploc vacuum storage pump and a vacuum food storage machine and use them for everything imaginable! To tell the truth the kitchen is the place they're used the least! Here are some examples of what I use them for. In some of these (with the vacuum machine bags), I have to create larger bags by cutting the roll to the length that I need, then cutting one or two more lengths, cutting them open lengthwise, and sealing them together, then sealing across the bottom. Then when it's full, sealing it across the top normally.

By Cricketnc from Parkton, NC

January 29, 2005 Flag

I recently borrowed a friends "food saver" to freeze some meat. The food saver worked great, and I insisted on replacing the roll of bags that I had used. To my surprise, the roll cost me $10.00 at Walmart. I would like to purchase my own food saver, and remember years ago, seeing one advertised on TV that you can use on any type of plastic bag and you could also reseal plastic bags that vegetables and frozen foods were purchased in. Does anyone know of any brand(s) of food savers that the bags don't cost so much and one that you can use to reseal all types of plastic bags with?

Thanks!
Debbie from New Jersey

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have a friend who uses one of these sealing devices because her husband smokes salmon for Christmas/Hannuakah and they give their friends and business associates chunks of fish as gifts. The sealed bags make giving easier for everyone.

However, I use these great clips from Sweden that are widely available. Imagine a hinged piece of plastic that clips closed at one end. I use these for bread, cereal, bagged frozen veggies and more. They come in a package of 20 and are readily available in cookware stores and through the King Arthur Flour catalog. It seems to me that this a simpler, "greener" solution to the problem of resealing bags and means that you are buying less plastic landfill materials.

Hi, I have had my, food saver for about 7 years.My friend bought a kitchen aid. It did not last season to season. No one mentioned food saver also has mason jar sealers.You can get one for, big or small mouth jars.I use mine a lot for, dried beans from my garden. You could make chex mix for X-MAS, seal and give. Seal flour, rice, sugar, almost anything. I LOVE MINE, and so does my friends.

Hi, I have had my, food saver for about 7 years.My friend bought a kitchin aid, did not last seson to season. No one mentioned food saver also has mason jar sealers.You can get one for, big or small mouth jars.I use mine alot for, dried beans from my garden.You could make chex mix for X-MAS, seal and give. Seal flour,rice,sugar, almost anything. I LOVE MINE, and so does my friends.

Thanks for the advice about buying from ebay! I bought the food saver when my hubby was deployed to Iraq and used it for so many things. I have to agree about the lack of help from the company. My cutter is wearing out and you can't buy a replacement! How stupid is that? That told me to BUY an cutter accessory. Of ocurse I would have to pay shipping on the stupid thing...NO THANKS.. I will use my scissors to cut if I have to...what a horrible comapny.

Read More Answers...

October 25, 2009 Flag

I have the vacuum seal machine for the gallon and quart size Ziplock bags, but I cannot find the bags in the stores here anymore. What can I do to get some?

By Janice from Salt Lake City, UT

You can also just cut the appropriate size hole in a regular zip lock bag in an appropriate spot for what you're vacuuming, vacuum and just seal the hole with a small piece of packaging tape.

I found mine at Wal Mart. I just bought the generic brand, but they work just as well. And to my surprise, they carry more sizes this way than they do in the brand name ones.

The Ziplock bags are still available. I've found them at WalMart, KMart, and Smith's. The Handi-Vac bags from Reynolds were discontinued, not the Ziplock brand.

I get my quart sized bags at http://www.thesweetattack.com/page/page/2380629.htm

They have the best prices that I could find. They also sell rolls to customize bags.

Read More Answers...

March 17, 2012 Flag

I recently bought mason jars that came with lids and rings. I plan on saving salad in them with my food saver and jar sealer attachment that I just bought. Do I have to replace the lids each time I use the jars for this purpose?

By Francine from Nashua, NH

No, they can be reused a couple of times as long as they seal.

The lids can be reused indefinitely, as long as they are not bent when opened and the underside is not scratched and rusting. I'd keep them separate from canning lids, if you can to preserve foods.

November 11, 2004 Flag

That foodsaver vac 300 is useful for more than just food. I don't own one, but it would be great for packaging jewelry for a yard sale, salt for your husband's lunchbox, even as a type of laminator for precious keepsakes. I have a Christmas card from my Mother, who is now with the Lord. I keep it in plain sight in my kitchen and it gets a lot of dirt. Wouldn't the Foodsaver be great for it?

By springmaid5

November 4, 2004 Flag

I freeze a lot of leftovers in individual servings in food saver bags. If it is liquidy, I freeze it in the bag before I seal it. This way if I don't want to cook, everybody picks what they want. Also good for taking to work. By Vickie

October 22, 2004 Flag

The Foodsaver is not just for food. I use it to vacuum pack face cloths, etc. and for travel. No more bottles spilling out onto your clothes. By Sandy

January 6, 2005 Flag

Vacuum sealing individual meals of leftover turkey and gravy, ham or roast beef and freeze, it stays fresher when vacuum sealed. They can be heated in the bags in boiling water. By Syd

October 14, 2004 Flag

After putting meat to be vacuumed into the Foodsaver bag, I then enclose the cut-out from the supermarket meat sticker/description indicating cut of meat, weight, date, etc. Then I 'seal' the meat and record the date of the sealing with a black permanent marker. By Lynn in Norfolk, VA

August 30, 2004 Flag

I would like feedback on the food saver machines. Do they really do what they say? Is it frugal or expensive to use the bags, canisters, etc.?

Food and Recipes Food Tips Kitchen ToolsJune 4, 2012
Foodsaver
Repairing a Foodsaver
Foodsaver on Kitchen Counter
FoodSaver Reviews
Foodsaver
Repairing a Foodsaver
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 21, 2016 at 10:02:59 PM on 10.0.0.66 in 7 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.