Foodsaver Tips and Tricks

Category Kitchen Tools
Foodsaver on Kitchen Counter
Food savers can help you vacuum pack all kinds of foods and other things. This guide contains foodsaver tips and tricks.

I have a Ziploc vacuum storage pump and a vacuum food storage machine and use them for everything imaginable! To tell the truth the kitchen is the place they're used the least! Here are some examples of what I use them for. In some of these (with the vacuum machine bags), I have to create larger bags by cutting the roll to the length that I need, then cutting one or two more lengths, cutting them open lengthwise, and sealing them together, then sealing across the bottom. Then when it's full, sealing it across the top normally.

By Cricketnc from Parkton, NC

Read 3 Comments

That foodsaver vac 300 is useful for more than just food. I don't own one, but it would be great for packaging jewelry for a yard sale, salt for your husband's lunchbox, even as a type of laminator for precious keepsakes. I have a Christmas card from my Mother, who is now with the Lord. I keep it in plain sight in my kitchen and it gets a lot of dirt. Wouldn't the Foodsaver be great for it?

By springmaid5

Read 4 Comments

I recently purchased a large canister for my Foodsaver on Ebay. It evidently is an older model (the lid has a white knob with a red center) and the hose for my new Foodsaver wouldn't fit on it - much less vacuum seal. I called Tilia and they said they don't sell the old hoses, nor will they sell a new lid - you have to buy the entire canister. So, I thought I'd really wasted my money.

I found out from another ebayer that I could take Foodsaver's Wide-Mouth Jar Sealer, place it over the white knob on canister lid, attach the hose to the jar sealer and then vacuum seal the canister. This works just great - the air is drawn out of the canister through the jar sealer, creating a perfect vacuum seal.

By Moogie from Denton, Texas

Read 2 Comments

Vacuum sealing individual meals of leftover turkey and gravy, ham or roast beef and freeze, it stays fresher when vacuum sealed. They can be heated in the bags in boiling water.

By Syd

I freeze a lot of leftovers in individual servings in food saver bags. If it is liquidy, I freeze it in the bag before I seal it. This way if I don't want to cook, everybody picks what they want. Also good for taking to work.

By Vickie

Read 1 Comment

The Foodsaver is not just for food. I use it to vacuum pack face cloths, etc. and for travel. No more bottles spilling out onto your clothes. By Sandy

After putting meat to be vacuumed into the Foodsaver bag, I then enclose the cut-out from the supermarket meat sticker/description indicating cut of meat, weight, date, etc. Then I 'seal' the meat and record the date of the sealing with a black permanent marker. By Lynn in Norfolk, VA

I recently borrowed a friends "food saver" to freeze some meat. The food saver worked great, and I insisted on replacing the roll of bags that I had used. To my surprise, the roll cost me $10.00 at Walmart. I would like to purchase my own food saver, and remember years ago, seeing one advertised on TV that you can use on any type of plastic bag and you could also reseal plastic bags that vegetables and frozen foods were purchased in. Does anyone know of any brand(s) of food savers that the bags don't cost so much and one that you can use to reseal all types of plastic bags with?

Thanks!
Debbie from New Jersey

Thanks for the advice about buying from ebay! I bought the food saver when my hubby was deployed to Iraq and used it for so many things. I have to agree about the lack of help from the company. My cutter is wearing out and you can't buy a replacement! How stupid is that? That told me to BUY an cutter accessory. Of ocurse I would have to pay shipping on the stupid thing...NO THANKS.. I will use my scissors to cut if I have to...what a horrible comapny.

I have the vacuum seal machine for the gallon and quart size Ziplock bags, but I cannot find the bags in the stores here anymore. What can I do to get some?

By Janice from Salt Lake City, UT

I get my quart sized bags at http://www.thes … page/2380629.htm

They have the best prices that I could find. They also sell rolls to customize bags.

I would like feedback on the food saver machines. Do they really do what they say? Is it frugal or expensive to use the bags, canisters, etc.?

Yes, definitely. If you have a Costco buy it from them. You can also buy online from them. The price is around $134.00 but you get the top of the line model with 3 canisters and two rolls of bags. If you ever have any problems just take it back and exchange it. They are GREAT about returns.

I recently bought mason jars that came with lids and rings. I plan on saving salad in them with my food saver and jar sealer attachment that I just bought. Do I have to replace the lids each time I use the jars for this purpose?

By Francine from Nashua, NH

The lids can be reused indefinitely, as long as they are not bent when opened and the underside is not scratched and rusting. I'd keep them separate from canning lids, if you can to preserve foods.