Freezing Butternut Squash

This squash can keep for quite awhile, but sometimes you may need to freeze some. This guide is about freezing butternut squash.

Freezing Butternut Squash
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

How do you freeze butternut squash? Can it be frozen in the raw form?

By Dorothy from Rochester, NY

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You should bake first but freezing without precooking is not a good idea. :-( Cut in half and place cut side down on baking sheet. Cook until tender. Scrape pulp from rind and mash or remove rind and cube.

Read More Answers...

What is the best way to freeze butternut squash?

Deb from Dearborn, MI

Answers:

Freezing Butternut Squash

I bake it or boil it until it scoops out easily, cool until easy to handle. Then I blend until smooth and place into Ziploc freezer bags and freeze. When I want to use I thaw it and either warm it on the stove top or bake, adding my favorite topping. (07/23/2008)

By Donna

Freezing Butternut Squash

I peel the squash, boil it, mash it and let it cool down.
Then I take all the extra ice cube trays I have (only use for squash) and fill each section with the squash mixture. I then freeze it for 24 hours.
I pop out the cubes and put them into Ziploc freezer bags and pop back into the freezer. I can then take out only what I need to defrost for my meals. I can add brown sugar, maple syrup, or any other spices that I wish when reheating the squash. (07/23/2008)

By Deanna from MA

Freezing Butternut Squash

I do the same as above and also for zucchini. I peel, then shred it. I freeze 2 cups in Ziploc bags, and use for zucchini bread. Very good. (07/24/2008)

By Sharon

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Food and Recipes Freezing VegetablesNovember 28, 2012
Butternut Squash Soup Recipes
Butternut Squash Soup Recipes
Butternut Squash in wooden box.
Storing Butternut Squash
Pickled Pumpkin
Pickled Squash Recipes
Roasted Stuffed Butternut Squash
Butternut Squash Recipes
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 23, 2016 at 9:45:44 AM on 10.0.0.90 in 639 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.