Browsing: Freezing Butternut Squash

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Freezing Butternut Squash

This squash can keep for quite awhile, but sometimes you may need to freeze some. This guide is about freezing butternut squash.

Freezing Butternut Squash
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

September 21, 2010 Flag

How do you freeze butternut squash? Can it be frozen in the raw form?

By Dorothy from Rochester, NY

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If I was going to freeze butternut squash I would cook it first by any method. The problem with this is that you have to then use it in soups or puree'd. Why freeze it at all? Keep the whole squash in a cool dark dry spot and cut it open when you want to use it.

You should bake first but freezing without precooking is not a good idea. :-( Cut in half and place cut side down on baking sheet. Cook until tender. Scrape pulp from rind and mash or remove rind and cube.

September 21, 2010 Flag

What is the best way to freeze butternut squash?

Deb from Dearborn, MI

Answers:

Freezing Butternut Squash

I bake it or boil it until it scoops out easily, cool until easy to handle. Then I blend until smooth and place into Ziploc freezer bags and freeze. When I want to use I thaw it and either warm it on the stove top or bake, adding my favorite topping. (07/23/2008)

By Donna

Freezing Butternut Squash

I peel the squash, boil it, mash it and let it cool down.
Then I take all the extra ice cube trays I have (only use for squash) and fill each section with the squash mixture. I then freeze it for 24 hours.
I pop out the cubes and put them into Ziploc freezer bags and pop back into the freezer. I can then take out only what I need to defrost for my meals. I can add brown sugar, maple syrup, or any other spices that I wish when reheating the squash. (07/23/2008)

By Deanna from MA

Freezing Butternut Squash

I do the same as above and also for zucchini. I peel, then shred it. I freeze 2 cups in Ziploc bags, and use for zucchini bread. Very good. (07/24/2008)

By Sharon

Food and Recipes Freezing VegetablesNovember 28, 2012
Butternut Squash Soup Recipes
Butternut Squash Soup Recipes
Butternut Squash in wooden box.
Storing Butternut Squash
Pickled Pumpkin
Pickled Squash Recipes
Roasted Stuffed Butternut Squash
Butternut Squash Recipes
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 26, 2016 at 4:47:24 PM on 10.0.2.54 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.