Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>
Freezing Kale

A nutritious leafy, green vegetable that can be preserved by freezing. This guide is about freezing kale.

Here are questions related to Freezing Kale.

Question: Freezing Kale

Why do you need to blanch kale before freezing?

By Amelia E C. from Plano, TX

Most Recent Answer

By Sarah Leahy B.07/26/2014

Here is an article that is a little more specific:
http://www.culinaryarts360.com/inde ... nd-why-to-blanch-vegetables-2-31622/
They mention blanching fruit too; however, I've read from a few different sources that you don't have to blanch fruit.

Question: Freezing Fruit and Vegetables

Can I freeze kale, tomatoes, blueberries, etc. without cooking, as I use them daily for shakes?

By Cheryl

Question: Freezing Kale

Can you freeze kale and how?

By a kats

Most Recent Answer

By karin [5]08/18/2011

Yes. First, clean the leaves and trim away the thick middle vein. Chop the leaf into pieces. Blanch for two minutes in a pot of boiling water, then chill in cold water and drain in a colander. Use a plastic ziploc bag for storage.

Question: Can I Freeze Kale?

I bought a bag of kale yesterday and used part of the bag in soup today. Can I freeze the other part of the bag? I am actually disappointed with the soup. It needs something else and I can't figure out what it is but not more kale.

Sandy from Baltimore

Most Recent Answer

By M. Rose Dawson (Guest Post)02/27/2008

I freeze it all the time, but cooked first. I bought all last Summer from our local Farmers' Market and froze tons of veggies, either blanched or fully cooked. As I prefer not to freeze in plastic, I used freezer canning jars.

If you are vegetarian, I can't help with a good Kale soup, but otherwise I can - Let me know. mrosedawson AT gmail.com

Solutions: Freezing Kale

Do you have knowledge about this guide topic? Feel free to share a solution!