Freezing Kale

Category Vegetables
Freezing Kale
A nutritious leafy, green vegetable that can be preserved by freezing. This guide is about freezing kale.

I bought a bag of kale yesterday and used part of the bag in soup today. Can I freeze the other part of the bag? I am actually disappointed with the soup. It needs something else and I can't figure out what it is but not more kale.

Sandy from Baltimore

Best Answer

Blanch it for a few minutes. It can be frozen like spinach or any other vegetable.

Best Answer

Refrigerate the kale and blanch it tomorrow night.

Add some sliced almonds and a little chili pepper or chili powder to give it a little "punch." Mix with a small amount of lemon juice or balsamic vinegar and you've got a wonderful side dish.

You might want to try sprinkling some cayenne pepper and chili pepper in your soup -- maybe it just needs a little spice? Keep practicing, kale is so good for you!

Best Answer

I freeze it all the time, but cooked first. I bought all last Summer from our local Farmers' Market and froze tons of veggies, either blanched or fully cooked. As I prefer not to freeze in plastic, I used freezer canning jars.

If you are vegetarian, I can't help with a good Kale soup, but otherwise I can - Let me know. mrosedawson AT gmail.com

Did you put sausage in your soup? For me, kale just doesn't work without a ring-type sausage such as Polish. The flavors blend beautifully.

SANDY HERE. well i added a can of beef gravy to the soup. that helped alot. tastes very good now. i had to do with what i had. yes i really like kale with sausage but didnt have any. THANK YOU ALL yes i have now frozen the kale

Why do you need to blanch kale before freezing?

By Amelia E C. from Plano, TX

Best Answer

You should blanch veggies before freezing because there are enzymes in vegetables that kill off the nutrients over time. They will taste fine if you don't blanch them, they just won't have nutrients left by the time you eat them.

Fruits don't have this issue - you can freeze fruit without blanching.

Can you freeze kale and how?

By a kats

Yes. First, clean the leaves and trim away the thick middle vein. Chop the leaf into pieces. Blanch for two minutes in a pot of boiling water, then chill in cold water and drain in a colander. Use a plastic ziploc bag for storage.

Can I freeze kale, tomatoes, blueberries, etc. without cooking, as I use them daily for shakes?

By Cheryl

How do I freeze cooked kale? in bags or what? with water or broth or dry?

By Grama Judy