Freezing Okra

What is the best way to freeze okra?

By D H

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

Determine the way that it will be used after thawing. I assume it will be cut for frying? I always saw the freezer bags come out with pre-cut okra ready for batter. I'm guessing a quick blanching and directly into a bag. After cooling ... freeze and store up to one year before the next crop?

Wash it. Let it dry then put it in freezer bags. Easy.

Okra is the simplest thing that there is to can. I just cut off both ends and slice it to the desired thickness and put it in a ziplock bag.

I use the same method as Lilac-wash, let dry and freeze. Blanching is not necessary for okra. I do put mine on a tray, freeze it, then bag while still frozen. This keeps it from clumping together so that you can remove just the amount you want to use and put the rest of the bag back in the freezer. If I plan to use it sliced, I do the slicing before freezing. Keeps from having to use extra freezer bags, as well as using immediately from freezer as opposed to waiting for it to thaw.

Small isolated okra with more in the background.
Freezing Okra
Food and Recipes Freezing VegetablesJuly 7, 2011
fried okra
Cooking Okra
Pickled Okra
Pickled Okra Recipes
Okra
Drying Okra for Crafts
Okra Plant with Blue Sky in Background
Growing Okra
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 18, 2017 at 10:37:27 AM on 10.0.2.156 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.