VegetablesFreezing

Freezing Red Potatoes

Vote for this contest contender!

We planted a row of red potatoes in our garden. I finished digging them up and prepared them for freezing. This is my first time freezing potatoes. I'm hoping to use them in several different recipes. Wish me luck.

This is the way I did it.

1. After digging the potatoes out of the ground, they have a lot of dirt on them. Using two five gallon buckets, wash the potatoes, shifting them from one bucket to the other, until the water was clear.

2. After separating the large ones from the small ones, put them into the kitchen sink, scrap the skins off and remove the eyes and bad spots. Rinse well.

3. Cut them into quarters or halves according to the size.

4. Place the potatoes in boiling water and blanch on simmer until they are tender but not cooked completely. Blanch the large ones first.

5. Remove the potatoes from the water with a slotted spoon and place in a strainer to drain.

6. Spread the potatoes out on racks to cool and dry out.

7. Cut into desired sizes and place in Ziploc freezer bags. Using a straw, suck the air out so they will be air tight.

They are ready to freeze.

Please let us know if they work for you. I have frozen them raw and they turned black. Good luck!!

Sandi, see my reply below on my comment.

I'll let you know how they do. I hope it helps to blanch before freezing. We eat a lot of potatoes so I will be using them soon.

For dinner, I prepared my first package of frozen potatoes. I was roasting a chicken on the grill for 1 hour and 30 minutes so I prepared the frozen potatoes by adding some sauted onions, bacon bits, salt, pepper and grated cheese. I wrapped it in tin foil and placed it on the grill with the chicken for the last 30 minutes. I have never fixed potatoes on the grill like this but I thought I would give it a try. I didn't have a recipe to go by.

The texture was just like it was before I froze them. They were not quite as good as I expected them to be. To me, they tasted day old.

Maybe it would have been better to let them thaw first. I think they would have been better if I had added some butter, more salt and some garlic powder.

We ate them with the chicken and my husband said they were good.

I'm going to try preparing them different ways. I guess I expected them to taste better than store bought potatoes. Most home grown vegetables do taste better. I can't say they were better. They tasted the same to me.

You should know that ancient peruvians and even now, Peruvians use frozen potatoes in one of their traditional and delicious dishes called "caraplucra"

Please let us know how things turn out (when you use them)? Blanching before freezing makes sense (it's what we do with a bunch of other things from the garden). As a kid, growing up on the farm? We put them in a big tub with plenty of peat moss between the layers. We barely brushed off the garden dirt, and as long as the spuds weren't touching each other, they lasted months in our cold room. Even in the middle of winter, nothing tastes as good as the food we grow ourselves.

See my comment above with pictures of some that I prepared for dinner tonight.

For dinner tonight, I prepared the 2nd package of my home grown frozen red potatoes. This time, I sauted them in a little olive oil with onions, salt, pepper and garlic powder. I cooked them until browned and they were much better than the last ones I tried.