Freshening Sheets

Freshening Sheets
Freshen your bed linens between washings. This is a guide about freshening sheets.

Truth be told, I change my bedsheets once a week. I also love the smell of clean bed linens and the smell of baby powder. When I make up the bed every morning, I sprinkle baby powder over the bottom sheet and a little on the pillow cases. It's nice climbing into a fresh smelling bed.

I bought a body mist recently that was too fruity smelling to my personal taste (I smelled like a raspberry), so I used the mist on my bedsheets. That was nice too and used up the product that would otherwise have sat on the shelf for ages.

By Mlina from Amherstburg, ON

Editor's Note: Many members have expressed concern with using baby powder or any chemical sprays where they can be inhaled. Use prudence when scenting your own bedding.

Top Comment

I don't like to use the scents that smell like any type of food. My favorites are Ocean Breeze and After the Rain. On days when I don't put my linens on the line, I spritz them with those scents and have a nice smelling bed to get into.

Top Comment

I read not long ago somewhere that many people make their beds too soon. Go put on a pot of coffee or shower or read part of the morning paper or something before you make the bed so it has a chance to air out a bit. If you make it too soon the night moisture is then trapped and mildew can form! Anyone else hear this?

If your going to sweat so terribly bad anyway, maybe changing it each day is a wiser idea though.

Top Comment

I use to put the bath powder between the mattress pad and the bottom sheet. It does smell good but since Fabreeze came out, I use that when I have it. I am partial to Yankee candle "clean linen' air freshener, to spray around in the room at night. It may not be on your sheets but you drift off to the smell of clean linen. I have also tucked a fabric softner sheet in the pack of the pillow case too.

Top Comment

Caution: All of these fragrant sprays, powders, etc. are made from chemicals that contain carcinogens that should not be inhaled. I would especially not use them on pillows. I use 1/2 a fabric softener sheet in the dryer rather than a whole one, with the same results. An oncologist guest speaker at a meeting I attended warned us to use chemicals very sparingly and never inhale them.

Top Comment

Not only the health risks listed but the issue with asthma having it so close to your face.

Talc is one powder used years ago. Baby powder nowadays is made with pure corn starch (I checked label in my cupboard). If you have old baby powder that does not say cornstarch, remove and dispose of it.

Top Comment

Love this idea. I also put my pillows outside on my patio chairs, works even better on a windy day. Not only is the bed fresh but the pillows are too! There is nothing better than getting in a fresh bed.

Pillows are hard on our washers. To clean them, either take them to the laundromat and use their machines. Or, sprinkle with baking soda, or your favorite scent of carpet fresh, Febreeze, etc. and put them outside in the sunshine. Remember to turn them several times and to keep them directly in the sun. Smells clean and fresh, and saves wear and tear on your washing machine.

By Sherry from Parsons, KS

To freshen sheets between changes, I use any brand of room spray that calls itself "Crisp Linen" or "Fresh Linen", even if it's from the dollar stores. I spray it on the fitted sheet and a drop on the pillows. Then I crawl into a bed that always smells like the sheets just came from the line outside.

By Melody from East Brunswick, NJ