Frying Potatoes

Category Vegetables
fried potatoes
Making the perfect fried potatoes often requires a few cooking tricks. This is a guide about frying potatoes.

Let raw potatoes stand in cold water for at least a half-hour before frying in order to improve the crispness of French-fried potatoes. Dry potatoes thoroughly before adding to oil.

By Peggy

Lightly sprinkle with sugar when frying fresh peeled potatoes to get a nice crust on them.

Source: From a former boss in the Dept. of Agriculture.

By BJ from Mid MO

I have been trying to make good fried potatoes for a while now with little success. Does anyone have a good recipe? What I am trying to make is the skillet type that are often served with a lot of breakfast dishes at restaurants. Not hashbrowns but cubed fried, crispy potatoes. - ST in UT

By guest client (Guest Post)

Start with cooked, cold potatoes. It's easiest to bake a bunch the night before along with dinner. (Doesn't waste extra energy). Add some oil to a pan, saute some onions and then to the hot oil and onions, add cubed potatoes. You can add peppers, too. Fresh rosemary from your herb garden is good. Saute, turning only as needed with a spatula. Turning too often creates mush.

By guest client (Guest Post)

Fry cubed potatoes in olive oil until half done, add diced leek, salt, pepper, and for more spice, blackened seasoning. Cover and cook until done, turning from time to time.

By guest client (Guest Post)

You might try sprinkling some flour on the potatoes before you cook them. This makes them more crunchy.

By guest client (Guest Post)

Never thought of putting flour on them. That is a good idea. One thing I do is a sprinkle a little paprika on them for color. That seems to help crispify. And I usually bake or boil the potatoes first. Then chill them. Then cube them. I like to chop up some garlic and saute that with some onions before I add the potatoes.

By guest client (Guest Post)

when you cube your pot. put them into a ziplock bag and pour some oil into the bag......coat well, and spray your skillet with cooking spray........get the grease hot before adding pot. once you put them in, keep them moving until they are cooked enough on each side to prevent sticking to the skillet.......move often......do not stir as this squashes the pot.....hope this helps......

By guest client (Guest Post)

I have always use raw potatos, cook them in a little oil and cover them while they are cooking. Use a med-high heat and turn frequetly. Learned this from a resturant cook.

By guest client (Guest Post)

The secret to those potatoes your talking about (like the skillet potatoes at Denny's) is the spices: Lawry's Seasonal Salt, garlic powder and pepper.

Don't peel the potatoes—just wash, cube, season (with spices mentioned above) and fry.

I have to second the baking of the potatoes ahead of time. If we have baked potatoes, I always make extra for fried potatoes. They are much better and don't stick nearly as much. In fact, if I make a roast with potatoes, I cube up the extra potatoes and roast and fry it all together for a dinner of hash. My family wants me to make a roast just for the crispy hash the next day.

We usually cube the potatoes and add water enough to cover them for about 10 minutes in order to cook them in the pan. Then we add butter, salt, pepper, and either garlic or Emeril's steak seasoning and fry until crispy and brown. Either option is fantastic and neither has been left on the plate. Good luck, take care of you and those you love.

I like to make fried potatoes cubed. First cube leave skins on or peel your choice. Wash if you leave them on. Cube in about bite size pieces. Then use a little oil not much just maybe the spay kind with you favorite flavor, season salt, onions, or onion salt, garlic choped. I think you get the idea.Try different spices until you find what your family likes the best.

You can bake in the oven wrapped in tin foil or on the BBQ. I happen to think the BBQ ones are the best. I also like to bake for quite a while as we like them to be crunchie.

Good luck and enjoy.

Heat a couple spoons of butter and oil in a fry pan, add onions, etc.. if desired. Cube raw potatos, with or without skins, place in a bowl, add salt, pepper, seasoning powder, garlic.. whatever you like (seasoning makes the dish), pour the oil/butter over potatos and toss. Return potatos to the pan, cover, heat on med high turning occasionally until they begin to cook on the outside. Turn down the heat, continue to cook covered until done to your liking.

I boil the cut potatoes first. Take a teflon skillet and coat with oil, using a paper towel, instead of just dumping it in. Add a few pats of butter to the pan with sliced onions. Fry them for a few, then Add strained potatoes, add a few more pats of butter over them and salt N pepper to taste. Cover. Leave them for about five minutes on medium heat, then turn over. Fry the other side for five minutes, and repeat. Do this until you reach your desired color and crispiness. Color meaning how "browned" do you want them :)