Deep Frying Tips and Tricks

Category Cooking Tips
Deep frying is a popular method of preparing certain foods. Following a few simple tips can ensure positive results and help prevent greasy, unappetizing ones. This is a guide about deep frying tips and tricks.

I came up with a fun way to remember the rules of checking for proper temperature of oil for frying battered foods, without a thermometer in a skillet or pot based on "Goldilocks and the Three Bears" ;-)

If the batter immediately turns golden and raises to the top then the oil is too hot. If you drop a teaspoon of batter into the oil and it sinks to the bottom right away then the oil is too cold. If the batter takes about 30 seconds to rise then the temperature of the oil is just right.

By Deeli from Richland, WA

Anonymous

I am always open to new ideas, and this is a very good idea LisaE2 if you're using a deep amount of oil, but how do you tell if the oil is too hot and what if there isn't enough oil in the pan/skillet for the handle of the spoon to be touching the oil?

deep fried bacon

If everything tastes better deep fried, imagine what it will do to bacon. If you have access to a deep fryer and love crispy bacon, try deep frying it.

electric deep fryer

Dry, cooked on grease can be tough to remove and deep fryers can spatter a lot. This is a guide about cleaning grease off a deep fryer.

Home Deep Fryer with Fried chicken and chicken and sauces on table

This is a guide about safe oils for deep frying foods. Choosing the safest oil for your cooking needs can be confusing.

Close up of food being fried in a deep fat fryer

This is a guide about reusing frying oil. Frying oil can often be reused if you follow a few simple steps.

Any suggestions for getting breading to stick to fish and other foods before I fry it? Whatever I have tried doesn't work.

By ocedar from Palm Coast, FL

I have the best success at making any coating stick, if I coat the meat first with flour, then egg, then the coating, whatever it is. It also helps to let the breaded meat sit for a bit and dry out some before frying.

I have a great recipe for this. It is a beer batter. Flour, salt & pepper, & enough beer to make the consistency of pancake mix. I love this particularly on deep fried squash. Just dip what ever food you're cooking into the batter & drop into a deep fryer. Coating stays put!

Whatever coating is used, I always prepare ahead and let sit in the fridge for at least 30mins before cooking. Not sure why, but it works.

I dust the meat with cornstarch then flour and that works for me. Also make sure the oil or grease is hot before putting the meat in.

Make sure the oil is hot and don't flip tons of times, that should help!

I'm with them. At least 30 mins. in the fridge.

I do the dry/wet/dry method myself, and it works well. My sister-in-law does the dry, then wet, then puts them right in the hot oil, and hers works well too!