Deep Frying Tips and Tricks

I came up with a fun way to remember the rules of checking for proper temperature of oil for frying battered foods, without a thermometer in a skillet or pot based on "Goldilocks and the Three Bears" ;-)

If the batter immediately turns golden and raises to the top then the oil is too hot. If you drop a teaspoon of batter into the oil and it sinks to the bottom right away then the oil is too cold. If the batter takes about 30 seconds to rise then the temperature of the oil is just right.

By Deeli from Richland, WA

Read More or Comment...

How original and how cute. So easy to remember. I wish I'd thought of this Deeli. Great idea
Thanks for sharing.

Pookarina

Most times if you use a wooden spoon it is a much easier way to tell if oil is ready for frying. Dip the wood handle of the spoon to the bottom of pot, if little bubbles form around the handle the oil should be hot enough.

I am always open to new ideas, and this is a very good idea LisaE2 if you're using a deep amount of oil, but how do you tell if the oil is too hot and what if there isn't enough oil in the pan/skillet for the handle of the spoon to be touching the oil?

This is a great idea. I will have to pass it along to my daughter. You have my vote!

Drop 3 kernels of raw popcorn in the oil. Popcorn pops at 350°

I was wondering what I am doing wrong. Every time I try to deep fry fish it sinks to the bottom of the pan and when I try to get it out it falls apart.

Thank you.

Answers

Best Answer

Your temperature is not hot enough. You can get a oil temp gauge, that specifically tells you how hot for fish and other fried items. This will save your food from getting too oily and more flavorful!

Best Answer

It's very difficult to answer your question without more information as to how you are attempting to do this.

Are you using a store bought deep fryer? If so then you should be able to follow the detailed instructions as to temperature and how much to fry at one time.

If you're using a pan or dutch oven (large heavy pot) then you'll either need a candy or meat thermometer to get the temperature right.

You can also test it with a small chunk of bread but this is not the best way as oil has to be the right temperature or your food will just soak up the oil and taste terrible.
The type of oil also matters so maybe if we knew what recipe you are following we could help more.

Check out the following suggestions to see if you are following your recipe closely. You do not have to use all of the ingredients in the recipes but you do need to follow the frying instructions exactly.

www.foodnetwork.com/.../fish-fry-recipe-1939977

www.foodnetwork.com/.../how-to-deep-fry-fish-and-chips-a...

blogchef.net/.../

Best Answer

It sounds like you are trying to deep fry your fish in a frying pan with just oil in the pan. This can easily cause the fish to stick to the bottom of the frying pan if you don't have enough oil in the pan or the oil is not hot enough when you first add the fish to the frying pan. Normally if you deep fry fish you will need to make your own batter for the fish and wait until the oil is very hot before adding the fish to the frying pan.

If I want to deep fry fish I have a very small deep fryer that I use that the fish is placed in the basket and the basket is set into the machine. I would use a frying pan that is a no stick frying pan and add a little extra oil to the pan to make sure the fish is floating on the oil and not sitting on the bottom of your frying pan.

Answer this Question

Any suggestions for getting breading to stick to fish and other foods before I fry it? Whatever I have tried doesn't work.

By Jean F. Stoeber from Palm Coast, FL

Answers

I have the best success at making any coating stick, if I coat the meat first with flour, then egg, then the coating, whatever it is. It also helps to let the breaded meat sit for a bit and dry out some before frying.

I have a great recipe for this. It is a beer batter. Flour, salt & pepper, & enough beer to make the consistency of pancake mix.

I love this particularly on deep fried squash. Just dip what ever food you're cooking into the batter & drop into a deep fryer. Coating stays put!

Whatever coating is used, I always prepare ahead and let sit in the fridge for at least 30mins before cooking. Not sure why, but it works.

I dust the meat with cornstarch then flour and that works for me. Also make sure the oil or grease is hot before putting the meat in.

Make sure the oil is hot and don't flip tons of times, that should help!

I'm with them. At least 30 mins. in the fridge.

I do the dry/wet/dry method myself, and it works well. My sister-in-law does the dry, then wet, then puts them right in the hot oil, and hers works well too!

Answer this Question

Why do you have to pour hot oil on the fish before you deep fry it? What is the benefit of that? (The fish already has a coating.)

Answers

I have never heard that before. Hubby cooks fish all the time and never does that. Can you share the recipe you are using? Maybe there is something special in the recipe that it helps the coating stay on...but I can't image what.

He usually just batters them up and fries.

The oil has to be hot before you put the fish in. You only submerge the fish once when you deep fry. The hot oil sears the fish and keeps it juicy on the inside while crisp on the outside.

I'm not sure but I believe you may have misunderstood what the recipe called for.

• There are different ways to test your oil to make sure it is hot enough before placing your fish into the pot/pan and this may have been where you got off track.
  • Here are a couple of ways to check the oil to be sure it is ready (as your fish will be soggy and absorb too much oil if the temperature is not hot enough).
  • To check if the oil is hot enough, drop in 1-inch cube of white bread. The bread should brown in a 40 count.
  • Heat the pan until the oil slides around easily in the pan. You can also splatter a few drops of water in the pan -- if the water sizzles and pops, its ready for your fish.
  • Of course, the best and most accurate way to check is with a deep-fat thermometer or candy thermometer.
  • www.killingthyme.net/.../
Answer this Question

If everything tastes better deep fried, imagine what it will do to bacon. If you have access to a deep fryer and love crispy bacon, try deep frying it.

deep fried bacon

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 1

Dry, cooked on grease can be tough to remove and deep fryers can spatter a lot. This is a page about cleaning grease off a deep fryer.

electric deep fryer

Frying oil can often be reused if you follow a few simple steps. This is a page about reusing frying oil.

Close up of food being fried in a deep fat fryer

This is a page about safe oils for deep frying foods. Choosing the safest oil for your cooking needs can be confusing.

Home Deep Fryer with Fried chicken and chicken and sauces on table

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Viewing This Page
Food and Recipes Food Tips Cooking TipsMarch 27, 2014
🐛
🌻
📓
😎
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Deep-Frying-Tips-and-Tricks.html