Deep Frying Tips and Tricks

Category Cooking Tips
Deep frying is a popular method of preparing certain foods. Following a few simple tips can ensure positive results and help prevent greasy, unappetizing ones. This is a guide about deep frying tips and tricks.

I came up with a fun way to remember the rules of checking for proper temperature of oil for frying battered foods, without a thermometer in a skillet or pot based on "Goldilocks and the Three Bears" ;-)

If the batter immediately turns golden and raises to the top then the oil is too hot. If you drop a teaspoon of batter into the oil and it sinks to the bottom right away then the oil is too cold. If the batter takes about 30 seconds to rise then the temperature of the oil is just right.

By Ann from Richland, WA

If everything tastes better deep fried, imagine what it will do to bacon. If you have access to a deep fryer and love crispy bacon, try deep frying it.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 1

Dry, cooked on grease can be tough to remove and deep fryers can spatter a lot. This is a guide about cleaning grease off a deep fryer.

This is a guide about reusing frying oil. Frying oil can often be reused if you follow a few simple steps.

This is a guide about safe oils for deep frying foods. Choosing the safest oil for your cooking needs can be confusing.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Any suggestions for getting breading to stick to fish and other foods before I fry it? Whatever I have tried doesn't work.

By Jean F. Stoeber from Palm Coast, FL

Answers

I have the best success at making any coating stick, if I coat the meat first with flour, then egg, then the coating, whatever it is. It also helps to let the breaded meat sit for a bit and dry out some before frying.

I have a great recipe for this. It is a beer batter. Flour, salt & pepper, & enough beer to make the consistency of pancake mix.

I love this particularly on deep fried squash. Just dip what ever food you're cooking into the batter & drop into a deep fryer. Coating stays put!

Whatever coating is used, I always prepare ahead and let sit in the fridge for at least 30mins before cooking. Not sure why, but it works.

I dust the meat with cornstarch then flour and that works for me. Also make sure the oil or grease is hot before putting the meat in.

Make sure the oil is hot and don't flip tons of times, that should help!

I'm with them. At least 30 mins. in the fridge.

I do the dry/wet/dry method myself, and it works well. My sister-in-law does the dry, then wet, then puts them right in the hot oil, and hers works well too!

Why do you have to pour hot oil on the fish before you deep fry it? What is the benefit of that? (The fish already has a coating.)

Answers

I have never heard that before. Hubby cooks fish all the time and never does that. Can you share the recipe you are using? Maybe there is something special in the recipe that it helps the coating stay on...but I can't image what.

He usually just batters them up and fries.

The oil has to be hot before you put the fish in. You only submerge the fish once when you deep fry. The hot oil sears the fish and keeps it juicy on the inside while crisp on the outside.

I'm not sure but I believe you may have misunderstood what the recipe called for.

• There are different ways to test your oil to make sure it is hot enough before placing your fish into the pot/pan and this may have been where you got off track.
  • Here are a couple of ways to check the oil to be sure it is ready (as your fish will be soggy and absorb too much oil if the temperature is not hot enough).
  • To check if the oil is hot enough, drop in 1-inch cube of white bread. The bread should brown in a 40 count.
  • Heat the pan until the oil slides around easily in the pan. You can also splatter a few drops of water in the pan -- if the water sizzles and pops, its ready for your fish.
  • Ad

• Of course, the best and most accurate way to check is with a deep-fat thermometer or candy thermometer.
  • www.killingthyme.net/.../