Getting Back to Natural Hair Color

For the past year and a half, I have been dyeing my hair. The color ranges from light brown, to blonde, to an orange brassy color when it starts to fade. She has bleached my hair in order to do the balayage thing. I never maintained my hair and therefore, I would find myself coming back to get toner within 1-2 months. I hated this.

I went to the salon to fix it this Sunday and I told her I wanted to go back to my natural hair color. I then get out of the chair to realize I have jet black hair. Does this mean I will have natural hair within a month of two? Will this jet black color fade?

My natural hair color is a dark brown, not black. I've read that in order to go back to your natural hair color, I'd have to go black, but I'm not sure. Can someone help explain this?

No, it does not mean you will have natural hair in a month or two.

All hair color products fade to varying degrees. Now that they no longer contain paraphenylenediamine, they fade more than they did in the past. I'm assuming the jet black color applied to your hair was a permanent color. This color may fade only slightly, but due to the different degrees of porosity in your hair, (that being some bleached, some not), the color will not fade evenly.

" I've read that in order to go back to your natural hair color, I'd have to go black". That statement is untrue and utter nonsense.

There are situations where a client has his/her hair colored and is displeased with the results, and with corrective coloring had their hair returned to a color very similar to the original color. This type color correction is successful usually when the client has had a single color treatment.

With you having had several different color treatments, there is no known corrective color treatment that will return your hair to it's natural color, or anywhere close.

A very skilled color technician might be able to lift (remove) just enough of the jet black color so that the resulting color is closer to a dark brown. This is possible, however, the type product used and the length of time the product should stay on the hair is critical. If you consider this procedure, do not have the work done by anyone who will not do a strand test first. I repeat, If you consider this procedure, do not have the work done by anyone who will not do a strand test first.

The above method may bring your hair to a color you can 'live with' while your natural color grows out, but in all honesty, there is no chemical treatment that will return your hair to it's natural color. Like it or not, the only way you will get your natural color back is to grow it.

Black can lighten slightly but not much. Just simply buy a hair color remover like Salerm Color Reverse or B4 Color remover and you will see the magic of taking all dark color off. After you have to rinse well and use purifying shampoo for around 2 weeks so that the product fully rinses out of the hair, then you can color again with the lighter brown color more similar to your natural tone. If you dye hair earlier - while some remover still being left - hair will darken again.