Getting Hair Color Back to Natural After Dyeing

Category Coloring
Waiting for your hair to grow out to your natural hue can take longer than you want to wait. This guide is about getting hair color back to natural after dyeing.

I heard there is some solution for getting your hair back to the natural color you were born with. My hair is dyed black. My roots are white. I do not want white hair.

By Linda

Answers

Best Answer

There is no way you can get your hair back to it's natural color. As we age the hair looses it pigment. I don't like my grey hair either so I color it.

Best Answer

Sorry to tell you, but there's no such solution. The best you can do is go to a salon and have them use color remover on your black ends, then have them color all your hair to a slightly lighter version of the color it was before it turned white.

The reason I say get a lighter version is that black haircolor and very dark haircolor has a tendency to highlight shadows and wrinkles. This was something I learned in cosmetology school, but didn't believe until I saw a few photos of the teachers: One of them used to color her hair very dark, then the next year she had changed over to a blonde or pale brown color, and looked about 15 years younger.

On the other hand, if you are speaking of those liquids you use frequently on your hair that are supposed to gradually change your haircolor back, that's not exactly what they do-they deposit a coating of metal salts on your hair shaft, which oxidize and turn dark; over time it builds up and makes the hair appear darker.

The problem with that is, if you decide to go back to actual haircolor, the metal salts will react with the haircolor, and you could end up with very strange hair color-green, or purple, or an unnatural reddish color. That's the reason you aren't supposed to use anything metal when you mix haircolor, because of that reaction. Good luck with whatever you decide!

My natural colour is auburn red. I have been getting bleached blonde highlights for years, but really want my natural colour back. Any advice on how to do this?

By Sam

Answers

Best Answer

I would have a salon put my original color highlights in the hair and then get a cut into a cute short style that is most becoming to start working back to it's natural color. That way you get rid of damaged hair and it will get back to it's original color quicker shorter... Good Luck!

I have very pretty silver hair, but dye it jet black and wear it short. I want to go silver all the way! What's the best way?

By ann lehman

Answers

You are lucky since you have short hair. There is no easy way to do it, you have to let it grow out and suffer through it but it goes pretty fast with short hair since you are cutting it every month or so.

If you don't like that idea, you could have your hair stripped and color it a lighter color (like blond) and let that grow out. Blond and gray wouldn't look as obvious as black and gray.

You could keep it colored with a semi-permanent dark color (the kind that gradually washes out in about 28 shampoos).
As the color gradually fades, you will be able to tell how far the silver has grown out.
If it still has a long way to go, color it again.
Once you can tell that the silver has grown out completely, stop using the semi-permanent color.

Just let it grow out! That's the only way to get it back to your natural color. I did the same thing as you are planning to do and I love it! No more hitting the (dye) bottle! What a relief! Being short, it will grow out in no time, unlike if it was long, that would take years.

My friend has hair down to her waist and a grow-out almost to her shoulders. She should just cut the rest of the dyed hair off, but she won't do it. It looks really tacky, but it's her hair, after all. Good luck!

My suggestiton would be to have it died as close to your natural silver color as you can get, then let it grow out from there. It would look a lot better than leaving it black and letting it grow out to silver.

Can you let your roots grow out a bit? Once there's enough grown out then your hairdresser can "match" the silver that is your natural color and dye the rest. I did the bleach-blonde thing for years and was amazed to find that my formerly dark blonde hair was now naturally a medium dark brown.

I had my hairdresser "match" the now brown roots and showed up to work on Monday a Brunette. I sure got a lot of comments, but I loved my "new" color. By the way, my hair was shoulder length at that time, so short should be a snap! Good luck!

So my hair was a great natural dirty blonde, with natural highlights. And I stupidly went to dye it lighter, the first time I've ever dyed it it turned orange, so then I went to dye it a dark brown to get rid of the orange and for awhile it was brown but from all the sun my roots turned orange.

So I went to the hairdresser the other day and asked for a dark blonde expecting it to be at least close to my natural colour. Totally wasn't! It turned orange again. I spent $100 dollars and all I get is a shitty colour, so now I have to go to the hairdresser again and dye it a light brown

My hair is a medium length abit longer then my shoulder. How long do you think it'll take for my natural hair to grow back, i totally regret dying my hair.. but we all make mistakes

Please answer back I need loads of help right now! And good opinions.

I recently got my hair colored, like some 5 days ago and I totally hate it. I asked for some caramel streaks, but she gave me some shitty brown streaks. They are not even streaks, she just colored my entire bottom part of the hair. It looks pathetic and I really wanna get rid of it. I have jet black hair naturally so I was wondering, can I color my hair black to get my natural looking hair back? I am also very scared since I don't want anything else to go wrong. I've also heard re-dyeing will leave your hair green.
Please suggest some advice.
Thank you so much.

How long should I wait to dye my hair back to my natural dark brown? Basically what happened was 2 days ago my friend's mom who does cosmetology bleached dome strips in my hair so I could have highlights. My hair is naturally dark brown and I wanted caramel or like a bronze highlight in my hair. So she bleached the strips of blonde and then put the copper color we got from Sally's hair and beauty over the bleach. It was the closet thing I wanted to caramel.

When it came out it was a orangey color (like a brand new 2016 penny color) and I wanted more of a (1998) penny lol. And my friend told me to not put dark brown hair dye over it, but dark soft brown the next color up so my dark brown hair wouldn't be affected just the highlights would go darker. So I did it and yes I got darker highlights, but some of my hair turned grey. So now I have my natural dark brown, some blonde strips from bleach, some grey hairs (not a lot) and some copper colors (not as bright). Please help I just want to go back to my natural dark brown and be done with highlights! The first picture is what it looked like before I put the dark soft brown over it and the second is hard to tell I have anything, but it's what my hair is now. Please help!

Last year, I started dyeing my dark brown hair a light blonde. Whenever I dye my hair, it gets lots of orangy tints, no matter what color I dye it. Later, I tried dyeing my hair a color close to my natural color, but it turned purple and then turned orange again. What do I do? I don't wanna dye my hair any more colors. I just want my normal color back!

I dyed my hair medium brown in November of 2014 and my hair is naturally really blonde. Should I dye my hair my natural color or let it grow out?

By Jazz

Answers

Ultimately it's up to you. Hair grows 1-2 inches a month, so factor in how long your hair is and how willing you are to put up with the grow-out. Dying your hair something closer to your natural color will make the process more seamless, or have a stylist do a weave/highlights to help with the transition. A lot of people that decide to live with the grow out, cut their hair once the grow-out gets long enough.

I would have a salon color it as close to original color as can be while you are waiting for the real color to come back in. Easy fix really.

I have this exact same issue. I stopped dyeing it back in January and actually used chemical color removers to strip the color at home. However, this just made it a slightly lighter brown. Currently, my roots are about an inch long and bright blond. I've been using John Frieda's Lightening Spray (essentially Sun-In) and that's helped blend the line a little better.

I have an appointment tomorrow to have my hair dyed back to blonde (maybe a little lighter than natural) with Olaplex. If you haven't heard of Olaplex, you need to. It sounds completely amazing and almost too good to be true. From what I've researched, it bonds the hair to fix damage you already have AND hang onto the color you put on it. The bleach dries it a bit but that goes away within weeks, unlike using it without the Olaplex. There's no permanent damage and it's how Kim Kardashian managed to go so light without all of her hair falling out.

So I'm really super excited to see something like my natural blonde again and not have much damage at all. Hoping for the best!

I went to dye my hair from dirty blonde back to my natural hair color, light brown. As it was drying I noticed patches of grayish/blue. I'm so confused. What can I put on my hair to cover the gray and make it brown?

So my natural hair is honey blonde, but I dyed it a dark brown. I don't want to keep dyeing it, but want to turn it back to blonde. The salon said I'd have to bleach it! Is there a better more natural way to fix it?

I have a short bob, I want to go back to my own colour. How long will it take to grow out?

If you have ginger hair and you dye it black can you get it back?

Answers

If you use a permanent hair dye, you will likely have to let it grow out. It is possible to take out colours, but I have no experience with it, and I expect it is very hard on the hair.

Unless the dye was a non-permanent type, your hair is permanently changed by the dye chemicals used. You can try a color similar to your natural hair color and then let your hair color grow in.

I have natural dark brunette hair. When I was little it was dark brown almost black and as I am growing up it had changed to more of a dark brown with random sun kissed blonde streaks here and there. I decided a few months ago to dye my hair with the super market stuff, around the same colour just hiding all the blonde streaks. It was a good colour and I was happy with it, but now it's been a few months and it's fading into a horrible rusty, orange, light brown and I absolutely hate it! I have regrowth and it's so noticeable that this is not my hair colour. I want to be able to get rid of this awful colour preferably without cutting, bleaching, or redyeing. I have tried anti dandruff shampoo, baking soda, and swimming and neither work and if they have I'm seeing very slow results. I read on another website that using bath salts is a good way to get out hair dye and it works best with purples. I am unsure to try this as my hair is brown and I don't want to change my natural hair colour. Do you have any tips or methods I could do, at home that wouldn't damage my hair or cause me to re dye it?

By J. Hart

Answers

Go to a beauty salon and have it taken care of professionally.

I also advise going to a hairdresser. However, I think you may find that by ruling out cutting, bleaching, or re-dying, you have eliminated all possible methods.

I have dirty blonde hair/ash brown hair. I'm not really sure what to call it. Anyway I have about an inch and a half of my roots grown out and the rest is a very pale blonde. I'm wanting to get a hair dye close to my color and than just let it grow out. But I'm not sure if I should dye it all or just the blond parts and leave the roots. If I dye it all will they be two different colors? Please help!

By Cheryl

Answers

Use the same color combination you have already used, but instead of putting it on your head/hair, get a fine comb and a cheap paintbrush or toothbrush and put small amounts on the comb, but not in big globes.

Just "comb" it on the comb, and then through the roots. Just do it overall, but hardly any. Wait 5 minutes, do it again, sort of where you haven't hit so far. Wait 5 minutes and once more where you haven't hit.

When you feel you've streaked what's going to show, rinse it out as directed. Don't leave it on the full 20 minutes, maybe just 15. It will look pretty natural. Each time do less and less and trim on the bottom about 1/2 inch every month or six weeks.

If the blonde hair is porous it will not come out well at all if you put a tint (dye) to match the roots. When I worked as a hairdresser, (now retired) we would use a "filler" to fill the open scales on the hair shaft before we used the tint to color it back. Anyway you look at it, there will be a lot of damage to the blonde hair.

I suggest you at least talk to a hairdresser before you do anything. This can be really a really tricky prodeedure, and in our shop there was only 2 of us out of 10 that knew how to do it, and even then it was scary.

On the other hand, if the blonde hair hasn't been damaged, it could be a pretty easy fix. Most bleached out hair is very damaged though.

About 3-4 weeks ago, I dyed my hair brown with Casting Creme Gloss (semi-permanent). I've already grown tired of my brown hair and I've been trying to strip out the color the past week by doing multiple vitamin c treatments, washing my hair with dish soap, and today I tried dandruff shampoo. The color has faded, but there's a lot left.

Before I dyed my hair brown, I had faded green dip dye and half my hair was bleached. I want to go back to my natural blonde and use Schwarzkopf balayage kit, but is it safe to use it now? The second picture shows my hair just before dying it brown.
The other two are my hair now, cut and faded.

I dyed my hair red twice in the past 3 months using Hip Pop hair dye. My natural hair is dark brown and extra long reaching to my knees. I actually want it back to its original color. Any ideas?

I am naturally brown. I recently got blonde highlights in my hair. I got sick of the highlights in my hair and went dark brown. I used a semi-permanent hair dye. A year and 6 months have passed and I don't know if my hair has returned back to natural. In certain lighting it's looking as though I have caramel highlights in my hair! Is that my natural hair coming through or is it my blonde highlights? Help!

By Kate

Answers

Those are your highlights showing through. Although the darker brown dye is permanent, it will slowly wear away, and those bright places that were your highlights will appear as caramel places. This happens to me also. Your natural color will only appear at the roots as your hair grows.

I dyed my hair blonde yesterday night and it went ginger so I went and got some black/brown hair dye and put it on. It's black/brown now, but I want my natural colour back. I'm afraid if I keep washing the blonde will return. I had natural brown hair by the way. So what should I do?

By Keely

Answers

Using your regular shampoo, do daily washings. Do not use anything harsh. Most self given hair dyes have a short life span. I am a swimmer and 3 weeks is all I get from my OTC less than $8 boxes. I have found a few about $10-15 that will give me 60 days....
Do not keep mixing more hair dye until the problem resolves itself....the hair is going to rebel from the chemicals and you would hate to deal with a permanent serious issue.
If you can afford a short hair cut, that is one way to really change the color faster. I always do my hair color before getting a hair cut.

I am African American woman who has colored her hair using dark and lovely hair color from honey blonde to fiery red. What can I do to turn it black again?

By TeeTee Brown from Baltimore, MD

Answers:

How Do I Get My Hair Color Back to Its Natural Color?

You didn't mention how long ago that you colored your hair fiery red.

Wait one week in between chemical treatments, so as to give your hair a rest. Buy yourself a hair coloring kit, then after one week, color it back to your natural color. If you don't want to color your hair a second time, you could always wait until your natural color grows out. It's always a good idea to use a conditioner in your hair, since chemical treatments can be very drying to the hair.

Licensed Cosmetologist (11/13/2010)

By Marjorie

Load More