Getting Rid of Cat Urine Odors

The smell of cat urine is very unpleasant. This is a guide about getting rid of cat urine odors.

cat in a house
Filter Sort

Question: Getting Rid of Cat Urine Smell for Future Cats

We are thinking of getting a new kitten for our 9 yr daughter. We had a 10 yr old cat, who got very sick, and had to be put down 3 yrs ago. She pee'd in several spots in my daughters room and in the upstairs hallway. I cleaned it very well, using vinegar, the smells are gone to the human nose. My fear is that even tho it has been 3 yrs the new kitten may be able to smell it and think that it is OK to pee there. What do you all think? TIA

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answers

By terry 69 Flag

This happened over 10 years ago. My cat (male, unneutered) had only been gone a year when we got a new one, and I had used an enzymatic cleaner on our carpet where he and another cat had a "who can pee here last" contest :) The smell was completely gone, apparently, to our new cat, and we had no problems. I'd think that after three years, and because you used vinegar (which cats hate the smell of anyway) you wouldn't have any problems. I used to use vinegar just to keep the cats away from my windowsills, and it worked. I'd just watch the new cat to see if it starts sniffing around where the other cat had gone, and if it does, watch it's reaction. Sorry I can't give you anthing more definitive.

terry

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Nancy 1 Flag

You will see a lot of reccomendations for vinegar and it works. Smells like pee and vinegar at first, but when it dries the smell is gone. Might have to do it twice. But also I must recommend a product called Out. I don't know what it is or how it works, but it was $3.50 for a big bottle at Wal Mart. It smells like baby power (yum) and it works very well, I use it as followup after the vinegar process. Try it! :)

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Cat Urine Odors

By Virginia 1

My cat peed in my plant. Is there a way to get rid of the smell without re-potting?

By vkmcgee2 from AZ

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Juanita 6 58 Flag

It's been my experience in the past that you have to repot the plant. There's something in cat urine that will kill the plant over a short period of time.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsMay 10, 2013
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Dog on Laminate Flooring
Removing Pet Urine Stains and Odors from Laminate Flooring
Dog Urinating Outdoors
Homemade Cleaner for Pet Urine Odors
cat sitting outside
Getting Rid of Cat Urine Odors Outside
Couch with urine odors.
Removing Urine Odors from a Couch
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 7, 2016 at 4:10:23 PM on 10.0.0.129 in 694 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesQuestions
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings