Browsing: Getting Rid of Cat Urine Odors

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Getting Rid of Cat Urine Odors

The smell of cat urine is very unpleasant. This is a guide about getting rid of cat urine odors.

cat in a house
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

April 23, 2005 Flag

We are thinking of getting a new kitten for our 9 yr daughter. We had a 10 yr old cat, who got very sick, and had to be put down 3 yrs ago. She pee'd in several spots in my daughters room and in the upstairs hallway. I cleaned it very well, using vinegar, the smells are gone to the human nose. My fear is that even tho it has been 3 yrs the new kitten may be able to smell it and think that it is OK to pee there. What do you all think? TIA

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

This happened over 10 years ago. My cat (male, unneutered) had only been gone a year when we got a new one, and I had used an enzymatic cleaner on our carpet where he and another cat had a "who can pee here last" contest :) The smell was completely gone, apparently, to our new cat, and we had no problems. I'd think that after three years, and because you used vinegar (which cats hate the smell of anyway) you wouldn't have any problems. I used to use vinegar just to keep the cats away from my windowsills, and it worked. I'd just watch the new cat to see if it starts sniffing around where the other cat had gone, and if it does, watch it's reaction. Sorry I can't give you anthing more definitive.

terry

Best Answer

You will see a lot of reccomendations for vinegar and it works. Smells like pee and vinegar at first, but when it dries the smell is gone. Might have to do it twice. But also I must recommend a product called Out. I don't know what it is or how it works, but it was $3.50 for a big bottle at Wal Mart. It smells like baby power (yum) and it works very well, I use it as followup after the vinegar process. Try it! :)

I have just moved to a house and found out that cats have been under my house useing it as a litter box... How can I get rid of the smell as well as repell them to stay away.

if the kitty pees on these places try sprinkling some cayenne pepper or a citrus air freshener on them. the smell will discourage her/him from doing it again

Use little baby powder and baking soda put it on the carpet and it will get rid of the smell.

March 27, 2013 Flag

This is a guide about getting rid of cat urine odors outside. Outdoor cats can create quite an odor near your home, as they revisit their chosen pee spot.

cat sitting outside

August 17, 2009 Flag

My cat peed in my plant. Is there a way to get rid of the smell without re-potting?

By vkmcgee2 from AZ

It's been my experience in the past that you have to repot the plant. There's something in cat urine that will kill the plant over a short period of time.

August 17, 2009 Flag

How can I remove cat urine odors from regular wood inside the house?

Evilin P.

Answers:

Cat Urine Odors

X-O Odor Neutralizer from California Veterinary Supply, <ahref="http://www.calvetsupply.com"calvetsupply.com</a>. Their phone number is: 1-800-366-3047

I have cats, but I'm down to only 2. I found X-0 about 25 years ago it works. It is a bit pricey, but it will last a long time. The directions on the bottle says to mix it 50/50 with water, but I put 1 oz. per cup of water and this works just fine.

I had a who friend borrowed my spray bottle because someone threw a dead cat in the church dumpster in the summer, she sprayed the dumpster, it totally eliminated the odor. The dumpster wasn't picked up for 4 days after, but she did not have to spray again. Both my male and female have a tendency to spray. If I catch them at it I can spray immediately, because I know where they sprayed, there is no odor. Since I'm not always sure where they sprayed I mist everything from my knees down every now and then and I have no smell. I even spray outside.
(07/07/2009)

By BABBIE

July 7, 2009 Flag

How can you get cat urine smell out of a garage? I have tried numerous products but nothing seems to work.

Tori from Huntingdon

Answers:

Cat Urine Odors

I don't have cats, so have not tried this remedy, but read it in some newsletter somewhere.
This was a suggestion for eliminating cat urine odor from a mattress, but should also work for other places.

Put witch hazel in a spray bottle and spray the area. In the case of the mattress it advises to let it dry and repeat several times. But if I were trying it on a hard surface, I would let it dry, then rinse the area and dry it, then repeat the process several times until the odor is gone.
(01/18/2007)

By Harlean from Arkansas

Cat Urine Odors

REMEDIES FOR PET STAINS & ODORS:

This is how I got rid of that nasty cat pee smell on our floor:

I bought OUT! pet odor neutralizer at Walmart, it works by "eating" any organic stain or odor by using a good bacteria and enzymes. It costs $4.79. The trick is to keep the OUT! wet so the good bacteria stays alive, by covering with plastic wrap or an unused garbage bag. Do not blow dry area as this will kill the good bacteria that eats the stain and smell. OUT! smells like yummy vanilla, which is nice.

The next day, I would repeat the application of the product. On the third day, I would clean the area with vinegar & water. On cement, I would use straight Cider Vinegar, but on rugs & upholstery, use diluted white vinegar. On the 4th day, I would pour plain old drugstore hydrogen peroxide on the area & let it fizz and bubble up anything that's left. Do this and I can bet your cat smell will disappear!

*Never use ammonia to clean up cat urine, as this confuses cats because ammonia smells like urine & they may urinate in the area where the ammonia has been used.

Below are other people's hints for getting rid of pet stains & odors

Recipe #1: Pet Accidents - Odors
This works well on dog or cat accidents. Soak up the urine as much as you can, down to the padding if you can, by using towels, and your own weight. Sprinkle baking soda over the site, leaving overnight, or until completely dry. Vacuum up well. Next add 2 cups of white vinegar to 1 gallon of water, and wash the area deeply and well. The smell of vinegar will disappear as it evaporates.

Recipe #2: Pet Accidents - Odors And Stains
This works well on both pet stain odors and stains. On new, wet areas, soak up the urine very well, or remove as much stool as you can, careful to not scrape it into the carpet. In a plastic disposable container, mix 15 oz. of 3% hydrogen peroxide, 2 level teaspoons of baking soda, a few drops of dish washing soap, and mix well. Pour it slowly on the affected area, soaking the carpet and padding under well. It may bubble a bit, this is normal. Let it dry completely. If there is white residue from the baking soda, don't worry, this will vacuum up. If a slight residue is left, just wipe with a clean sponge and water, after the entire procedure is done. Do not store any of this solution, dispose of any that is left.

Recipe #3:
Removing cat urine from beds and upholstery is certainly a challenge. It seems that the fabric interacts with the urine so different solutions work with different furniture. I start with a natural cleaner. I found that for anything washable like the removable cushions (in the tub), and sheets and covers, the totally natural Gardens Alive House Cleaner worked wonders. Next, I use baking soda or hydrogen peroxide. If no luck with that, use the enzymes and cover the spot with plastic for at least 12 hours to let the enzymes work (they die if they dry out).

1) Blot stain immediately with paper towels, absorbing as much fluid as possible.
2) Sponge stain with cold water
3) Blot again with paper towels.
4) Mix solution of 1 tbsp. white vinegar and 2 cups warm water.
5) Dab vinegar and water solution on stain.
6) Apply a specialized stain and odor removing bacteria/enzyme cleaner, such as Outright Pet Stain Eliminator, Pet 'Oops' Remover, or Stain Gobbler. If the urine odor persists, follow the manufacturer's directions. (01/19/2007)

By Cyinda

Cat Urine Odors

If you haven't sealed the floor with something, you can get rid of the odor with a product that I use called odorxit concentrate, available on the web and a few stores. This is the only stuff I have found that really works on my rental property. (08/09/2007)

By exring

Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsMay 10, 2013
woman holding her nose
Getting Rid of Urine Odors
Dog Urinating Outdoors
Homemade Cleaner for Pet Urine Odors
Couch with urine odors.
Removing Urine Odors from a Couch
Cleaning Urine Off Grout
Cleaning Urine Off Grout
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 21, 2016 at 11:38:43 PM on 10.0.2.214 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.