I have a garden mole destroying my lawn and garden. Is there any sure fire way to help me get rid of this varmint?
Hardiness Zone: 7a
Pat from Fairfield, CT
I had moles dig right next to my "mole chaser". My husband and I had a good laugh over that one. I have found after trying many different things (I even tried the Juicy Fruit gum remedy). Only poison really does the trick. I use a product called mol-tox and have had pretty good results.
By Lisa in NY
Put used cat litter on top of each dirt mound. The mole will think its a predator and will move on to another area. An employee at a hardware store told us about this and it worked for us.
By Rose Mary
We tried everything we heard to get rid of moles. We even ran a hose from our car exhaust to a mole run, hoping the gas would either kill one or two of them or bring them out of the ground. The only thing it did was make our whole yard smell like exhaust fumes.
After setting traps, trying the windmill thingies and trying other "natural" things, we finally got rid of them by using a bait called Mole Patrol. We put it in a mole run, cover it up, and usually don't see any sign of the mole again. It took a couple of years of monitoring all the runs, but we finally have them under control. I think we had a total of 2 moles last year, a record low.
I had moles one summer and the way I got rid of them was putting mothballs all over the places where the holes were; I haven't had any since and it has been two summers.
I have 3 cats who are expert hunters. Thanks to them, I can have a pesticide-free garden, and they don't get sick from eating a poisoned rodent. They are indoor/outdoor, but love being outside the most. Every now and then they even share one of their conquests with me and leave me a present on the doormat. It's so nasty, but better than having a ruined garden.
My golden retriever mix is a "crack" mole hunter. She lives for sniffing them out and waiting for movement. When she sees the least bit of earth move, she points, waits just a bit, and then dives right in and yanks out the mole. I think last year she got between 15 and 20 of them. I don't mind filling in her holes either, it's better than the many mole runs I walk along to flatten on a weekly basis.
By Mary Moo
I've used Drano successfully. Put a tablespoon of Drano in the hole and add water. Supposedly, it burns their feet and they don't come back. It's worked successfully for me for several years, but Drano is rather expensive. Cat litter sounds like a cheaper remedy, hope it works.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!