Getting Rid of Grubs

Category Bugs
Grubs can leave unsightly dead patches in your lawn. Grubs are also attract moles which can leave your lawn spotted with mounds of dirt from mole holes. This is a guide about getting rid of grubs.

In my mulch pile and in a fifty foot area surrounding it, are thousands of grub holes and their makers.

There are always many eyes watching me every time I go to the mulch pile for a bucket of leaf mold or whatever. I can almost feel the congregation assembling. Three blackbirds, here. Two robins, there. And at a cautious distance, a brown thrasher over there. Four more blackbirds just swooped in, seemingly out of nowhere.

They all watch closely. A sharp eye is kept on my shovel to see what it unearths. An even sharper eye is kept on me. All the birds are impatiently waiting for me to put my shovel over my shoulder, pick up my bucket of mulch, turn and walk away.

As I leave, I take a quick glance back. All the birds have landed, some blackbirds jousting for the best spot to dine. They all feast upon the precursor to the June bug. In June, at times the air is so thick with June bugs, I'm reminded of the biblical plagues. I dread to think how it would be if the birds didn't keep the grub population down as much as they do.

I like to befriend birds. Most of them are very nice people. Mind you, they each have their own personality. I raised a pair of doves, once. The male was jealous of me. He wanted no one else around me. He did make an exception for his sister.

I raised some house finches, once. Each of the four had it's own personality. I never will forget, one of the young males acted just like a cocky teenage boy trying to behave much more mature than he was. Sorta cute, really.

Birds, just as people, like easy pickings. I thought 'What the heck. At the risk of appearing eccentric, loony, to my neighbors, I will gather many grubs and feed the birds'. I did just that. I collected a coffee can full of grubs, grabbed a lawn chair, seated myself in full view and started emitting a loud wolf whistle.

Each time I threw a grub into the air, I accompanied it's flight with a loud whistle. The birds soon learned, a shrill sound meant a free lunch. It didn't take long before I could summon a flock of feathered friends whether I had grubs or not.

And who do you think was the first to connect the wolf whistle to a free grub? The blackbird. I think the blackbird is related to the crow. And we all know how intelligent the crow is.

I'm whistling. I'm throwing grubs into the air. I'm talking to the birds. I'm having a field day, and the birds are loving it, too!

Wait a minute. My neighbors are on their porch. Did I hear one say 'They're here. They just turned into our street'. I look up and see a strange looking van. It's parking right here. Who are those people getting out, and why are they wearing white jackets? What do the want, and why are they talking baby talk to me? They say if I'm nice, they won't stick that needle in my arm. Ouch! They did, anyway! I'm getting sleepy, Y'all.

I have a tip for getting rid of grubs that is good for the environment and will give you hours of enjoyment. Hang a couple of feeders in different areas of your yard and feed the birds. Feed them regularly through the first week or two of June then start tapering off during the second half of the month. As the grubs start to emerge stop feeding the birds then sit back and watch as they start to work your yard.

We have done this for ten yours and have not had a grub since. Great program. You can check with your local agriculture or county agency to see what time of year the grubs emerge as beetles. Ours is around the beginning of July.

Source: my friend Phil

By travis wolf from Columbus, OH

I think I am in Zone 5-6, I think I have grubs in the lawn and want to treat them. It is August 3 and I am confused from all the articles I read can you please help me.

LaDonne May from Illinois

Answers

I know of two ways, but both take a couple years to really take effect- Milky spore and beneficial nematodes. You can buy both at a garden center. Both are safe for pets and children, and are completely natural. Milky spore is a disease that infects the grubs while they live in the ground and kills them. After it dies, the spore/disease multiplies and continues to spread throughout your lawn. Nematodes are microscopic parasites that attack and devour grubs as well. Both of these treatments are a bit expensive, but one application will keep your lawn healthy for years. They're easy to apply- spoonfuls of spore every 4 feet and water in the nematodes- And it doesn't matter if your neighbors are actively trying to prevent grubs- your lawn will be impenetrable. You can also use these in addition to more immediate forms of grub control, but I'm not really familiar with many others. I just try to be patient! Oh, and getting rid of grubs will also rid your lawn of moles, if they're a problem as well. Hope that helps!

By Dean (Guest Post)

Both suggestions from the previous post are very good. All you have to do is read and follow the directions on the product.

http://www.garden.org/

here is what they said: (same as Beth)

Grubs are larvae of beetles. When they have done their damage you can roll entire patches of lawn back like a carpet. One sign of grubs in a lawn is the presence of a lot of one-inch holes in the lawn where birds, skunks, or raccoons have been digging for a meal of grubs.

Some grubs emerge from the soil as Japanese beetles, which attack gardens. Milky spore or beneficial nematodes are the remedy.

Hello, I don't know if you got rid of your Grub problem but you have to aerate your lawn and then go to Lowe's and get some grub control. Use a spreader while putting the grub control down all the grub control will then seep in to the holes made by the aerator and then water soon as you are done spreading, then all you have to do is give it time and it will work.

Nematodes do not work unless you aerate your lawn thoroughly. If you don't do this you are wasting your money and this stuff is expensive. The golf clubs are using cayenne pepper

What is the best, safe, and free way to get rid of grubs? Thank you in advance.

By Rudy Garcia from Tucson, AZ

Answers

We've used nematodes from a local nursery. You can't see them, but they come in a jar and you spread it on the lawn.
Here's a link with more info: http://www.uri.  s/whitegrub.html

A lady at the local Farmer's Market told me beer is the answer. Use pie tins. Hollow out the ground where you will place the tin a little so the tin is level with the ground. Fill the tin with beer. The grubs are attracted to it and drown in it. Not exactly free, but cheaper than most treatments.

I have heard that milky spore will get rid of grub worms. I just pulled up this video that tells about it.

http://www.yout  ch?v=Mz_EUeeUhsM

Moles eat grub worms but they tear up your yard doing it. To get rid of the moles, you have to get rid of the grub worms. These worms turn into Japanese beetles.

I have trouble with moles in my yard "off and on". Then, this year I noticed also that I have grub worms. I have never had the grub worms (that I have known of). Between the grub worms and the moles; they are destroying my yard. Any suggestions has to how to rid of these pests?

Thanks!
Judy from Collierville, TN

Answers:

Getting Rid Of Grubs

The grubs your talking about are most likely "Japanese Beetles" they come out of the ground here about July 1st. They eat everything, they are hard to get rid of. Contact your local Farm and Fleet store for traps. Good luck. (06/11/2007)

Getting Rid Of Grubs

My husband is a landscaper and when we moved into our house we had the same grub/mole problem. Moles eat grubs so when you get rid of grubs the moles should follow soon. Now I thought my husband was crazy, but this worked. He put beer in throw away tubs (like margarine) around the yard. Grubs like beer. They go into the container and drown. It took a while to get grub free, but it did work. Good luck. (06/13/2007)

By Lois

Getting Rid Of Grubs

Most any fertilizing/lawn care company can do grub prevention applications. As far as I know, moles eat grubs so if you get rid of your grubs, you'll get rid of the moles. Grubs tho eat your lawn so you really want to get rid of them. Check at a hardware or home improvement store if they have something to take care of the grubs. When the grubs are gone, the moles will go looking elsewhere for a food source. (06/13/2007)

By Debbie Dzurilla

Getting Rid Of Grubs

Over-seeding will get rid of grubs. Do it in the fall and the spring. Also, don't cut your grass too short. If you can stand it, leave your grass to grow for 2 months. The grubs can't lay eggs on tall grass. They also hate mulch or tall grass because they can't get around easily. You can spread cornmeal gluten or your grass. It's a fertilizer and it makes for strong grass roots. (07/24/2008)

We just moved into our house last August and now have discovered grubs in our back lawn. My husband isn't concerned, but I don't like the holes that the racoons leave in our yard. Does anyone know of a way to get rid of them without pesticides?

Thanks,
Liz from Ontario

Answers:

Getting Rid Of Grubs

There are catch and release traps for raccoons. (04/25/2005)

By Linda

Getting Rid Of Grubs

If it's grubs your'e trying to get rid of, a chicken is the answer. Not only do they eat grubs, but spiders, scorpions, anything but ants. They also make wonderful pets. (04/26/2005)

By Kay

Getting Rid Of Grubs

Here are some natural repellents I have used with success:

Sprinkle dried blood meal in and around your beds. It'll repel hungry critters, and give your flowers a much-appreciated dose of fertilizer at the same time.

Mix 1 tbsp. of pureed cayenne pepper and 1 tbsp. of liquid dish soap in
a quart of water, and spray liberally around your plants.

All-Purpose Varmint Repellent: mix 2 eggs, 2 cloves of garlic, 2 tbsp. of hot chili pepper, 2 tbsp. of ammonia, and 2 cups of hot water in a bucket. Let the mixture sit for 3 or 4 days, and then paint it on fences, trellises, and wherever else unwanted varmints are venturing.
(04/30/2005)

By Sabrinaca

Getting Rid Of Grubs

I've just been asked to plan the entire floral design for a large retirement community. Well, they have a skunk problem - and the skunks are seeking the grubs in the lawn After a ton of research, here's what I'm doing. In the toes of pantyhose, I'm filling them with a few moth balls, cayenne pepper, dried coffee grounds and dried orange peels. I'll bury them where the skunks like to hang out. I'll let you know what happens.
Good luck! (05/21/2005)

By Barb