Organic Mole Repellents

While moles are actually beneficial to your garden, eating the larvae of many harmful insects and aerating the soil, most homeowners don't like the messy piles of dirt. To send these little miners packing you don't need to use poisons or traps. This is a guide about organic mole repellents.

I ran across this recipe for getting rid of those nasty moles and thought there's others out there that have a yard full of mole hills like I do that may find some use in it. I haven't tried it yet myself, but if you have tried this recipe or others that have worked, please post a quick note and let us know how it worked for you.

Link: http://www.humeseeds.com/mole1.htm

I'm at my wits end! Moles are tunneling under all of my gardens. Over many years, I have spent lots of time improving the soil and removing rocks, all for the moles apparently. How about a couple hints on repelling, removing, and/or coping with the moles? I will not use poisons. Can someone help?

Hardiness Zone: 5b

By annelle snyder from NE PA

Answers

Best Answer

Some garden centers carry predator urine crystals you can pour in the holes.

By Linda (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Plant daffodils or any bulb that is in the garlic family it worked for me. I went online to the HGTV site and that is the advise they sugguested. It worked in the fall I planted them and in the spring the moles or voles disappeared. It won't hurt to try!!

By Mark Miles (Guest Post)
Best Answer

I live in Michigan and have a lot of problems with moles also. I tried traps, poision and everything else with limited success. My garden center in Kalamazoo carries a mole repellent called Repellex. I currently use the granular and have bought the liquid which are both easy to apply. It seems to work pretty well and I buy it twice a year.

The packaging says it is made with castor oil, hot pepper, and garlic. The granular definitely smells like garlic! It doesn't bother my dog (who I wish would catch the moles) and the smell is not noticeable when applied. It is considered a natural product and is made from just a few ingredients so I think it is worth trying.

Best Answer

An odd job for your husband. Human urine poured on the hill will chase them away. Be inventive as to how you collect this product. I used a toilet seat over a 5 gallon bucket in an area where there was privacy. Don't crack up laughing. It worked for me.

My cat has access only to my backyard where there are moles and mice. She keeps bringing them in. Is there some way I can repel the moles and mice without harming my cat at all?

By Marsaye from Guelph, Ontario

Answers

It seems to me that your cat is doing the job of thinning out the mice and moles. That's what cats are supposed to do. If she is not killing them, you'll have to do that when she brings them in. Likely she wants to practice with them a bit and sharpen up her hunting skills. Eventually she'll do them in, and then likely chow down. I don't know why you would need anything other than your cat. Let her do her job.

Q: Does anyone know an organic way to get rid of voles/moles aside from
cats?

Hardiness Zone: 4b

Thank you!
Anni-b from Victor, ID

A: Hi Anni,

Moles and voles can be tough to get rid of in the yard and garden. Here are some organic techniques to help control their populations.

Voles: They enjoy gnawing on bulbs and the roots of shrubs and trees, but seldom do damage to the yard. Voles are related to mice and are more apt to be seen above ground. They seek out protected places, so removing any protective cover (like controlling tall grass, weeds or brush) is essential to controlling them. Keeping your lawn mowed short for a period of time should also help curb populations. You can also consider live-trapping them (traps available at www.haveaheart.com or hardware stores), just make sure that after you catch them you relocate them at least 1/2 mile away from populated areas (in an overgrown field, etc.). Live traps can be baited with peanut butter and oatmeal or with bits of apple. Critter-repellant.com also sells a granulated deterrent called, "Shake-Away" that is made to smell like the urine of the vole's natural predators. Although I've never tried it, "Shake-Away is also said to work on moles.

Moles: These guys are slow moving and have poor eyesight so you will seldom see them above ground. Moles produce ridges as they tunnel searching for food and usually have a larger impact on the yard. Their main tunnels usually run along fences, foundations, tree stumps or other protected areas, and they also create tunnels that may only be used once. These abandoned tunnels can make parts of the yard feel spongy when you walk on them. Moles feed almost exclusively on insects like earthworms and grubs, but will sometimes damage roots, bulbs and tubers in their attempt to find food. They are most active in the early morning and late evening and are solitary by nature. If your problem is limited to a garden bed, try lining the area with 1/2 inch galvanized wire mesh. You can also try live traps, but do it in the spring (after a rain is best) when their tunnels are closer to the surface. Other organic controls include physical barriers dug down into the soil (for small areas), repellents that contain castor oil or castor beans (thought to upset their stomachs-possibly causing them to move on), or sound barriers (e.g. pushing the base of vibrating windmills, or children's pinwheels into their tunnels causes disturbing vibrations).

Good luck!

Ellen

About The Author: Ellen Brown is our Green Living and Gardening Expert. Click here to ask Ellen a question! Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at http://www.sustainable-media.com

Answers:

Organic Mole Repellent

Put hot red ground pepper in their runs, but you have to keep doing it, and do it in many different places to get rid of them. They will eventually get the hint.

(04/10/2006)

By Susan M.

Organic Mole Repellent

Try putting pieces of chewing gum at the opening of their holes or along the paths where they run. Sounds funny, but it works! (04/10/2006)

By nancy80501

Organic Mole Repellent

I do and it works, for a long, long time. Mix two parts castor oil to one part liquid detergent (check the ingredients, I use Ivory). Whip the mixture in a blender until the consistency of whipped cream. Take a few heaping tablespoons of it and mix it in a sprinkling can of warm water (about a gallon or even two). Go around the entire area and sprinkle the ground (after a rain is ideal so it soaks in deep).

I used it between my plants first to run out anything in them then went around the entire garden. When I saw how good it worked I did my whole yard (about two acres) and that was the end of the moles until this year. No more expensive exterminators! My sister paid a small fortune to have them come in and exterminate for voles and still had them. One good dose of this and they were gone. (04/10/2006)

By christy

Organic Mole Repellent

I put moth balls down the hole, and that did it for me. (04/15/2006)

By Nancy

Organic Mole Repellent

Some garden centers carry predator urine crystals you can pour in the holes. (04/21/2006)

By Kat

Organic Mole Repellent

I heard sticking human hair in the holes will discourage them. (04/28/2006)

By JILL

Organic Mole Repellent

Plant daffodils or any bulb that is in the garlic family it worked for me. I went online to the HGTV site and that is the advise they suggested. It worked. In the fall I planted them and in the spring the moles or voles disappeared. It won't hurt to try. (06/30/2007)

By Linda

Organic Mole Repellent

I live in Michigan and have a lot of problems with moles, also. I tried traps, poison, and everything else with limited success. My garden center in Kalamazoo carries a mole repellent called Repellex. I currently use the granular and have bought the liquid which are both easy to apply. It seems to work pretty well and I buy it twice a year. The packaging says it is made with castor oil, hot pepper, and garlic. The granular definitely smells like garlic! It doesn't bother my dog (who I wish would catch the moles) and the smell is not noticeable when applied. It is considered a natural product and is made from just a few ingredients so I think it is worth trying. (08/01/2007)

By Mark

Organic Mole Repellent

I just purchased organic mole and rodent repellent from Lowe's. It is safe in vegetable gardens. (04/27/2008)

By Gary Dominicus