Getting Rid of Moles in Your Yard

Several years ago I had a mole/vole problem in my decorative plant garden and lawn. I use a pine, walnut shell, or other natural cat litter for my cats. These products often have instructions right on the bag to use them once used on inedible plant beds as mulch. So I poured the used litter from my several cat boxes into the mole/vole holes and voila! The little critters disappeared! It's been a long time and they haven't returned, but if they do, I'll surely put the kitty litter in the holes again. Any odor from the used litter disappears, especially after a rain.

More Tips

Share a TipCheck out these tips or, if you have something to add to this page, click to share your own tip!

My neighborhood has an extremely bad mole problem. The only yards that don't have mole holes, are the homes where people let their cats go outdoors.

Moles don't like castor oil. Try this solution and be sure to let us know whether it was successful.

I have been bothered by moles routing through my garden eating my earthworms. I read that the castor bean was poisonous. I grow castor plants, so I put a dozen seeds in a run. The seeds were gone in a few days, and I haven't seen any signs of moles since.

From what I have read, moles are difficult to get rid of. There are lots of things that people try with mixed results, such as putting garlic down the holes. The best solution I found was using castor oil.

I heard that instead of trying to get rid of moles, which can be difficult, it is better to get rid of their food source. Here in Florida, they love grubs, so by eliminating the grubs the moles will move to another area.

Put a galvanized hardware cloth in the bottom before adding dirt. This will keep voles/moles from eating your plants. Without it the critters think it's their buffet! Also, putting plants in wire cages helps too! We have so many of these critters.

27 Questions

I live in Illinois and this Summer we hardly had any rain and it's been extemely hot. I have lived in my house for 14 years and this is the very first time that I have ground hogs or ground moles making tunnels in my front yard.

They have eaten up my entire Hosta plant. What is the best way to get rid of this pest so it doesn't come back next year?

Answers

By Carol (Guest Post)
Best Answer

The main reason for moles is that they are after the grubs(an insect) in your yards. So the easiest way to get rid of them is to go to the garden center and get something to kill grubs and the moles will leave too. It's no too hard really, you could pay a professional to rid your yard of grubs but it is not hard to do your self.

By J.Kevin L. (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Theres no reason to kill the little fellow, just do what I did and find his hole stick a water hose in it and then fill it up. Surprisingly you will see him come out of the ground from another hole that you weren't aware of and then you can put him in a bucket and take him to the park and release him safely. If your lucky when ever you go for a walk at the park you may see him building a new home and then feel good that he is still alive and happy. Thanks for reading, from Kevin L. in Arlington, Texas.

Answer this Question

Is there an easy way to rid my yard of voles, moles, and gophers? They are destroying my lawn and shrubs.

Hardiness Zone: 5b

By Dee from Long Island, NY

Answers

Best Answer

Castor Oil and Cayenne pepper work pretty well. The Castor Oil has to be an industrial grade (you can see if you have Murphy's Castor Oil around the house). They don't like the smell of the pepper or oil.
The trouble with moles and voles is they dig, and most products out on the market only hit the surface. If you're only concerned about your garden or other small area, try stirring up the soil a little and put some cayenne pepper and castor oil in there. Ammonia is also a strong smell that will deter them.

I've also heard of using human hair. Never tried it, but some friends told me if you stir it in the soil that will repel them as well. I've even heard someone say they used to put a donut in the holes, and it actually worked! :)

Answer this Question

I live in Graham Washington. We have run out of ideas on how to keep the moles away. We've used the poison bait, and even bought the ever full proof, money back guaranteed black hole mole trap and haven't caught a single one.

I would also like to add that the soil where I live is very very rocky. Seriously it is unlike any I've ever seen and I think that may be playing a part in why the traps aren't working. Any suggestions?

Answers

Try a marigold and daffodil barrier.

How do I get rid of moles? They are terrible this year in our area.

By Ginny Rusch

Answers

Best Answer

Treating for grubs is very expensive and is only about 50% effective. If possible, encourage owls to your area. Talk to your State's Game & Fish Commission; if you have trees, install an Owl House.

The one nice thing is, once they nest and have chicks, they return every pre-Spring and do their hunting in the evenings. Nice to hear them chatter away because I know they're looking for those nasty little critters to show themselves.:)

Answer this Question

We have moles and maybe voles in the yard, leaving little mounds of dirt everywhere. When it was just in the lawn it was bad enough, but now something is in the veggie garden. How do we get rid of them?

By Zippy

Answers

Best Answer

You may need to put hardware cloth under the planter beds to keep the burrowing critters out. Easier to do when you have raised beds, of course, but you could do it by digging out the regular bed soil, putting down the hardware cloth in a "U" shape, and re-filling the bed. Good luck!

Answer this Question

I live in Cape Town, South Africa. Does anyone know how I can keep moles out of my garden?

By June Daries from Cape Town South Africa

Answers

Best Answer

Good grief, from Portland, Oregon, to Capetown, those pesky diggers are everywhere. My sis in law tried hair and steel wool down the holes and only minimal success. I would think anything physical that would impede comfortable digging for them, since their skin is sensitive. Maybe she didn't use enough hair.

They do aerate the soil and bring up minerals for plants, but that's no satisfaction when your flowers are imploding.One might put down wire screening of some kind in flower beds about 12 inches down and form it into a box with sides and replant dirt and plants.

Or if one had access to a thorny bush lay branches about 16 inches below plants. It would take some time to decompose, probably good for 2-3 years. Perhaps rose bush clippings.

Anybody know what discourages moles in nature?

Answer this Question

We are having some serious issues with ground moles and the many tunnels they keep digging in our yard. Our next door neighbor keeps throwing bread out in her yard. Can someone tell me if moles also feast on bread? She will not stop doing this. We also have a problem with ground squirrels and the many holes they too dig. This is getting out of control. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

By Sandy from IL

Answers

Best Answer

I don't think moles eat bread. They eat insects and are especially fond of grubs. If you can find a biodegradable organic insecticide (I think there are such things) spray the yard. With no food, the moles will leave. If insects are eating the bread then the moles might just move next door.

Answer this Question

Do mothballs really get rid of moles?

By beverly from Kansas

Answers

Best Answer

You need to get a lawn fertilizer type product that contains grub giller. Grubs are these gross white worm looking bugs that live in the roots of the grass & attract the moles as the moles eat the grubs. Follow the package directions. It is usually best to do the application before a good rain and this is also a good time of year to do this. Be sure to by enough product to get the job done right the first time! If you don't get the problem under control it can become quite costly. Friends of mine actually had to remove their whole lawn and replant it. Good luck!

Answer this Question

Would anyone know how to help get rid of moles in my yard? They're turning it into a sponge. I've tried all the commercial products and the spinner things to no avail.

By Crystal

Answers

Best Answer

Getting rid of moles is a problem for a lot of people. I learned if you have moles you have grubs which is a white worm that lives under your grass and you would never know they were there until you see the moles, and they are what the moles feed on.

I found by running a rolling spike across your lawn which puts holes in your lawn, which is called an aerator (you can probably rent one or borrow one from someone who has a farm). This helps with the getting rid of the grubs which you will then have to buy some Grub Ex at your local home improvement store. Spread it over the lawn using a spreader with the holes in the ground.

It makes it easier for the grub ex to get into the ground to do what it was made to do, get rid of the grubs. The primary goal here is to get rid of the grubs first and once you get rid of them you get rid of the moles.

Answer this Question
Load More
Home and Garden Pest Control Moles and GophersAugust 25, 2011
🍀
💘
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf883036.tip.html