Getting Rid of Moles

I live in Cape Town, South Africa. Does anyone know how I can keep moles out of my garden?

By June from Cape Town South Africa

Best Answer

Good grief, from Portland, Oregon, to Capetown, those pesky diggers are everywhere. My sis in law tried hair and steel wool down the holes and only minimal success. I would think anything physical that would impede comfortable digging for them, since their skin is sensitive. Maybe she didn't use enough hair.

They do aerate the soil and bring up minerals for plants, but that's no satisfaction when your flowers are imploding.One might put down wire screening of some kind in flower beds about 12 inches down and form it into a box with sides and replant dirt and plants.

Or if one had access to a thorny bush lay branches about 16 inches below plants. It would take some time to decompose, probably good for 2-3 years. Perhaps rose bush clippings.

Anybody know what discourages moles in nature?

Gross you out maybe. Pee on em'. Job for the man of the house. Pee in a bucket, pour it on the hills, they leave for better places like your neighbors.

Do you know if what you have are "golden moles" or "mole rats"? Both can cause damage. Neither is particularly closely related to the true moles of Europe, Asia, and North America.