Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Getting Rid of Moss and Algae on Concrete

Moss growth can be a problem in shady areas. This guide is about getting rid of moss and algae on concrete.

October 26, 2011 Flag

Spread some lime over the area to get rid of the moss, or a cheaper method if you have a fireplace is to lightly spread some of the ashes over the area. If you wet it down, it sort of makes the gray disappear, but it gets rid of the moss.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 25, 2017 Flag

How do I remove green mould from paved driveways? It is like a very thin layer on top of the pavers.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

A bleach solution will remove it. Here is an article to read. http://www.doit  driveways.html#b

Are you sure it is green mold? Most molds are black. If it is mold, use bleach solution. But often if on the ground and green, its a fine moss. If it is a moss, you would use a product like roundup.

I think it is probably algae. Algae is green and slimy and likes to grow on wet areas like mold. I would make a dilute vinegar solution and spray it on the pavers. The vinegar will also kill any weeds that want to grow in between the pavers.

A great thing to use is a spray with half water, half white vinegar, and 20 drops tea tree oil. This mix will nix mold in all its forms. If you don't have the teat tree, that's OK.

When I have to remove green mold from my driveway, patio furniture, the siding of my home I use a pressure washer it works well with this issue. Makes my life so must easier.

Thanks for answering my question but would that be white or brown vinegar??

I do agree the pressure washer is great on this sort of thing but my pavers are grey and I tried pressure washing them last year but it was taking the top layer off of them

September 4, 2012 Flag

A couple of years ago I asked how to remove green algae from my concrete steps and driveway. Someone recommended a solution of vinegar and something else. Unfortunately, I forgot the something else. All I know is that it worked. Please help. Thank you.

By Cindy S.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You could use vinegar straight or mixed with water. You could also try bleach and water in a ratio of 2 parts bleach and 1 part water or any ratio. Be sure to wear eye protection around bleach. And you might have to scrub the moss and algae with a brush. You could also try pressure washing but not with bleach. Or try some products made to remove moss and algae from a big box store.

baking soda

I have been told that vinegar n Epson salt dissolves is good for plumbing n many more task try that I'm going to try although give a good rinse when done

Borax

Vinegar and baking soda

April 27, 2010 Flag

How do you get algae off of concrete?

By Jim from Australia

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Bleach and a scrub brush.

Its caused because of dampness, try painting over it.That's what I did.

Ammonia solution works wonders for me

Can I spread farm lime over driveway?

That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard if. Y would u paint over concrete

How do you get algae off concrete

I concur. Painting over algaea is the most stupid, thing I ever heard of, when all you have too do is wait for the sun to be hitting the affected area, and bleach ,then rinse,and rinse,and rinse!!

May 16, 2012 Flag

What fast and simple way can I use to remove green algae from concrete steps? Thank you.

By Cindy S.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

We use a power washer with a weak bleach concentration in the water - works great! If you don't have access to a power washer, you will need to get a good scrub brush and use a solution of 1 gallon water with 1 cup bleach added and just scrub it off - make sure to wear gloves, and to rinse off the steps afterwards.

April 27, 2010 Flag

We have had a lot of rain these past 6 weeks in Connecticut. My front concrete steps are very green. Is this moss or is this algae? How do I get rid of it? Thank you.

By menopause from Suffield, CT

Answers:

Don't know which it might be, but a pressure washer will get rid of it and make your steps look new again. (07/19/2009)

By marisa0407

Household bleach mixed half with lukewarm water and a teaspoon of dawn dish liquid in a gallon plastic container applied by pouring and brushing with a push broom on a sunny day. Test the area you spray before rinsing off all of it. You may have to leave it on overnight if heavy growth.

Let it dry in the sun then rinse with a hand held pressure sprayer nozzle. You'll have to put in a bit more work, but it's much cheaper than renting a machine that doesn't do that much better. Wait until the sun is down more, still light enough to rinse off. I have done this several times and never had a single problem with plants or grass, but if large leaves are nearby, toss a cheap painter's drop cloth over whatever you're rinsing near it. Move it with you to cover any plant you need. We had excellent luck with it.

Although I didn't try this, the paint store (Sherwin Williams years ago) had a 'mildew retardant' packet for paint additive that I would have used along with it and which was available in a small packet. (07/21/2009)

By lyndagayle62

Be environmentally safe and thoroughly spray (not pour directly because of run-off) with vinegar. It will kill whether it's moss or algae. Vinegar also kills even weeds in just a matter of hours.

Be sure not to let the vinegar spray get on any of your other plants or tree's leaves by spraying on a non-windy day and/or use a large piece of cardboard to keep the spray from hitting any plants next to your steps!

It also works best to do this on a warm and/or sunny day. :-) (07/21/2009)

By Deeli

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try this if you prefer not to use water, after all water is a big part of the problem, isn't it? LOL. Spray Hydrogen Peroxide then spread some baking soda over it and let it sit for a little while Then spread some kitty litter (absorbent works better) to help sweep up, kitty litter may not work as well as an absorbent but it's a lot cheaper and helps it sweep up nicely.

FYI - I do live in California so water is not to be wasted but even if water is not an issue for you, this helps to keep the yucky stuff contained. Good luck

Home and Garden Cleaning AdviceSeptember 6, 2012
Removing Moss from Asphalt Roof Tiles
Removing Moss from Asphalt Roof Tiles
Old wooden ladder leaning against a concrete wall with painted designs.
Removing Paint from Concrete
Removing Moss from a Roof, Cleaning Moss off Roof
Removing Moss from a Roof
Controlling Algae in a Pond
Controlling Algae in a Pond
👒
🐰
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 19, 2017 at 6:13:17 AM on 10.0.0.22 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.