Share Crafts

Removing Paint Odors

A woman painting a room blue.

Paint odors can linger in your home after you've finished your project. This guide is about removing paint odors.

Solutions: Removing Paint Odors

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: How to Reduce Paint Odors

There are a few items you can use that greatly help to mask or neutralize the smell of fresh paint. You also need to have good ventilation during, and for at least a couple of days after painting for health safety sake. Please keep in mind that these items only either mask or neutralize odor and that the VOCs (volatile organic compounds) in the paint will still be released into the air as the paint dries. For that reason if anyone has respiratory problems it would be best if they stay elsewhere for one night at the very least.

Here are the suggestions of what works for either odor masking or neutralizing:

Bioworld Odor Neutralizer Commercial Concentrate (Bon-Cc-41):
Is an odor neutralizer that can be ordered online. It's a tiny bit expensive, but it's concentrated:

Essential Peppermint Oil:
Peppermint oil is clear so it can be used even in white or cream tone paint colors to mask paint odor. Mix in 1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon per gallon of paint.

Lemon Extract:
Lemon extract can also be used even in white or cream tone paint colors to mask paint odor. Mix only 1 to 2 drops per gallon of paint.

Pure Vanilla Extract:
Use only clear vanilla extract for white or cream tone paint colors to mask paint odor. You can use light colored vanilla extract for all other paint colors. Mix in 1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon per gallon of paint.

Cut a large peeled onion into quarters, place each in a separate saucer (one cut side facing down), add some water and place the saucers in different locations in the room.

Place small bowls or small glasses filled part way with vinegar around the room.

Happy painting ;-)

**Bonus Note: The BioWorld Bon-Cc-41 can also be used to eliminate odors in carpets, hardwood floors, walls, and even laundry that are caused by smoke, skunk, pets, garbage, and urine.

By Deeli from Richland, WA

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Removing Paint Odors.

Question: Odor Coming from Newly Painted Wall

I recently painted a new wall with a 5 year old latex primer followed by 2 coats of paint. A very disagreeable odor emanates from the wall. I have never had this problem with "old" paint before. Where is the odor coming from?

Question: Removing the Paint Smell from a Newly Painted Room

I just finished painting my son's bathroom and was wondering if there was anyway to expedite the removal of the paint smell? I tried a bowl of vinegar but that didn't help. I've been running the air cleaner to help expedite. It's kind of tough to leave the windows open due to it being frigid out this time of year.

Kelly from Bensalem, PA

Most Recent Answer

By Kyle Semaj05/07/2009

Hi, Some older interior latex house paints contain the preservative phenylmercury propionate. Indeed, a small child suffered brain injury after helping his mother paint his room.

The most effective mitigation technique would be to use activated charcoal and pass the vapor through it using a fan etc. The activated charcoal adsorbs the organic vapor. Good Luck!

Question: Removing Paint Odors

How do I remove paint odors in new paint before painting my walls?

Lynn from Florida

Most Recent Answer

By Mike [1]12/19/2009

They do make an additive that makes the paint smell good when you apply it and for a few months afterwards.

http://www.westsidedecoratingcenter ... /36-paint/78-paint-scentsations.html

Hope that helps.

Question: Vinegar To Remove Paint Odors

I am allergic to paint odour, my bedroom was recently painted. How am I to use this method (vinegar to remove paint odors) to get rid of the smell? Does anyone have any other methods? Please let me know. Thanks.

Most Recent Answer

By Mary Ross [5]08/25/2009

Using vinegar or scents only cover up the odor, fine if it isn't an allergy but rather that you hate the smell. The problem, if it is allergies or sensitivities is the volatile organic compounds (VOC). Covering them up does not make them go away. Some plants are noted for their ability to remove VOCs from the air, spider plants being one of the best. The next time you paint, get a low VOC paint, some now available have very little emissions. Or you can try making your own milk paint, unless of course you have dairy allergies.

Question: Strong Paint Odors

How do I get rid of paint smell? I have bedroom that was painted with miller paint. It was 3 weeks ago and still has an odor and was water based. I have tried an Odor Genie with an open window and a fan - it is better but still quite noticeable. The rest of interior was done in Behr - no odor from day one. Any help would be appreciated.

CJ from Camas, WA

AnswerWas this interesting? Yes No

Most Recent Answer

By Leslie M. (Guest Post) 10/13/2008

I used a product called BON-CC-41 from BioWorld Products the last time I had my house painted. It works great. I had the painter add a little to paint. I came home that day and only smelt a very faint paint smell. By the next day, it was gone completely! I even slept in the same room that was painted the day before and didn't have any problems. In the past, I would have the paint smell linger for as long as a month. It was very nice not having to live with the headache of the paint fumes!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

Question: Used Wrong Paint in Bathroom

I used a paint made for timber and metal in my bathroom by mistake. What can I do to get rid of the strong paint smell?

By Marie C. from Limerick

Most Recent Answer

By Marg [16]12/31/2014

And of course, leave the window open as much as possible.

Question: Getting Rid of Paint Smell

I'm getting the whole inside of my house painted. The paint smell is a little heavy. How can I remove the smell?

Rachel from Houston, TX

Most Recent Answer

By suzanne [278]08/13/2008

fans will speed up the drying process. open all windows possible
ozone machines are really good. don't know the cost of renting one though

Question: Removing New Paint Odor

How to get rid of paint odor in a newly painted house?

By Ngangi

Most Recent Answer

By Catherine [7]11/05/2014

Put plates in the painted room with either
. slides of raw onions
. baker yeast (not chemical yeast)
. charcoal
You can also burn a candle and use a ventilator with the windows opened.

Hope this helps!

Question: Getting Rid of Paint Smell Inside

I used the wrong kind of paint in my bathroom. I used paint for the outside of your house. How do I get rid of the smell fast?

By twin

Most Recent Answer

By Grandma J [54]08/24/2013

There are many kinds of paint. There are some that are indoor or outdoor paint. My personal choice inside is to use oil. New paints have very little odor to them. Adding a few drops of colorless baking vanilla and stirring in does well in LATEX only. Ask the supplier of your paint. They will have other things to recommend.

Question: Getting Rid of Paint Smell

How do I get rid of paint smell?

By Cynthia from GA

Question: Getting Rid of the Odor of Enamel Paint

I just had the doors painted with QDE enamel paint; the odor is so strong. I like the color but to get rid of the smell is my problem now. Can you help? Thanks.

By Fely C.A. from Manila, Philippines