Effectiveness of Lemon Extract in Reducing Paint Odor

How did you know that lemon extract is effective in reducing paint odor? Are there any components in lemon extract that assist in reducing the odor of the paint? What are they?

Thank you!

This appears to be question about a "tip" that someone posted on Thrifty/somewhere?
I have not seen this tip/information so I can only give you what information I have available about getting rid of paint odors.

In my younger days I owned rental houses so due to constant upkeep, I became very familiar with paint fumes/odors.

My husband would sometimes add a few drops of vanilla extract to the paint and that seemed to decrease odors greatly. (maybe that is where the lemon extract idea came from?)

I have never heard of using lemon "extract" but I definitely used fresh lemons when they were available. Water and Lemons.
Fill a bucket 1/2 to 3/4 with water and toss in a few sliced lemons. The water will absorb some of the solvents in the air, and the lemons will add a fresh, clean scent to the room.

Place it in the room while you're painting, then leave overnight. Be SURE to toss water and lemons out as they will have absorbed the "odors". some painters say to also add salt to the water but I never tried that. This worked well. Use bowls if buckets are not available.

Baking soda spread all around worked when carpet was present - just vacuum after 24 to 48 hours.

Other people swear by different items so if you are looking for how to reduce/remove paint odors/fumes - take your pick!
The following are suggestions from fellow "painters" but I am not familiar with any of these.

Just buckets/bowls of plain water..

Coffee grounds - not sure about fresh grounds or used?

Vinegar mixed with water.

Bowls of crushed charcoal..

The weirdest I have read or heard is to use sliced onions!!

Lemon extract, fresh lemon wedges and lemon juice are all fragrant removers. I have used lemon juice on my counter tops after using garlic & onions or fish or any smell that you do not want lingering.

Also, I have done this in a restaurant, After eating and not wanting to jump up to use the ladies room just to wash my hands, use a wedge of lemon squeeze it in your hands, rub your hands together and you will have fresh smelling, food free smelling hands. I rarely use lemon extract, unless it is an odor that is very strong. A drop of lemon extract really works so well as a room freshener.

The oils you suggest change the color of the paint! Thanks I have to do the room over!

What did you put in the paint? The only comment I see is a couple of drops of vanilla extract. I can't imagine a couple of drops of anything in paint will change the color but maybe you used a lot? Please let us know exactly what you tried to help a future reader avoid the same problem.

It is pretty much a well known fact that some items, such as lemon and vinegar or baking soda or charcoal cut down on odors. Fresh paint is an odor, so yes, it would help the smell.

According to Good Housekeeping magazine, this will be effective for white or ivory paint. They recommend vanilla extract for other colors.