Getting Social Security Overpayment of Child Support Back

I receive SS. I have overpaid 10,000+ in child support. At one time I was behind on child support 12,000. But when I received SS my son received a check of almost 18,000. I have been receiving SS since 2011. My ex gets a monthly check of $996. And I receive $522.

My question is, will I receive any of that over payment back. My total check is almost $1500. a month, but I only receive $522. And my ex receives $996.

I was told by legal aid that I won't receive the over payment back. I couldn't get Medicaid because they said I made too much money. I was also told that about housing.

Why won't I get the over payment? I'm entitled to that money. I don't know anywhere you can live on $522 a month.

There have been a lot of days where I had to go without food and feminine items. The system is messed up. The courts in Indiana didn't know of the fact that I was paying child support through SS. I want my money that I overpaid back. Any suggestions?

By Tina

Answers

If you have a Legal Aid Society in Indiana, get an appointment with them as soon as possible. Here in Idaho they provide legal assistance without any charge. They got me my disability after we had been trying on our own for two years! Best of luck!