Getting Social Security Overpayment of Child Support Back

I receive SS. I have overpaid 10,000+ in child support. At one time I was behind on child support 12,000. But when I received SS my son received a check of almost 18,000. I have been receiving SS since 2011. My ex gets a monthly check of $996. And I receive $522.

My question is, will I receive any of that over payment back. My total check is almost $1500. a month, but I only receive $522. And my ex receives $996.

I was told by legal aid that I won't receive the over payment back. I couldn't get Medicaid because they said I made too much money. I was also told that about housing.

Why won't I get the over payment? I'm entitled to that money. I don't know anywhere you can live on $522 a month.

There have been a lot of days where I had to go without food and feminine items. The system is messed up. The courts in Indiana didn't know of the fact that I was paying child support through SS. I want my money that I overpaid back. Any suggestions?

By Tina

Answers

If you have a Legal Aid Society in Indiana, get an appointment with them as soon as possible. Here in Idaho they provide legal assistance without any charge. They got me my disability after we had been trying on our own for two years! Best of luck!

Child Support Payments and Social Security, Paper entitled Child Support Hearing.
Child Support Payments and Social Security
Business and Legal Legal Child SupportAugust 10, 2013
Couple getting SSI help.
Finding a Good Social Security Attorney
Family law folder on desk
Can SSI Be Garnished for Child Support?
Writing a child support check.
Paying Back Child Support
Photo of letters spelling out child support.
Social Security and Back Child Support
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 20, 2017 at 5:20:43 PM on 10.0.1.246 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.