Giving Pills to Dogs

My Jack Russell has been given amoxicillin 250mg capsules that he must take twice a day. Can I open the capsule and give him the contents in his dog food or must I administer the entire capsule, outside shell also?

Betty from Rindge, NH

Answers:

Giving Pills to Dogs

Leave the pill intact. You can hide the pill in a large marshmallow, and give it as a treat, or you can open his mouth and hold it open, drop the pull in the very back of his throat and use your thumb to push it down, shut his mouth and hold it shut and rub his throat, he will swallow it. On occasion, if not pushed far enough down the throat, the pill will pushed back out, so watch the dog and see if he starts acting like something is in his mouth, if so, retry. The worse that is going to happen is you get your pet's slobber on you and I'm sure that has already happened if ever he licked you. It is not as gross as it sounds, especially when it comes to the health of your pet.

Hope this helps,

Tina (12/12/2006)

By trbrown22

Giving Pills to Dogs

I stick a pill in a piece of a wiener, or I will roll one up inside a slice of sandwich meat.
Works like a charm. (12/12/2006)

By carolb

Giving Pills to Dogs

I have always put the pill in a spoon full of Cheese Whiz. It has always worked for me. The dog loves the Cheez Whiz.
P.J. (12/12/2006)

By P.J.

Giving Pills to Dogs

If your dog eats like mine, (wolfing the food down) and eats canned food, what I do is put the capsules on the bottom of her bowl, then the canned food on top of it. Mix it a little with a spoon. I have been doing this for a whole round of Clinimycin for 20 days and I have yet to see the capsules after she's done eating. You'll do fine. (12/13/2006)

By Lisa

Giving Pills to Dogs

I use a small piece of processed sandwich cheese slice and kind of smoosh it around the pill. My two think cheese is such a treat they don't even realize they are being tricked into eating a pill. I tried peanut butter, but the little one figured out she could lick off all the peanut butter and then spit the pill out. (12/13/2006)

By Persnickety Paula

Giving Pills to Dogs

I give our dogs their pills, both are on rymadi for hip and arthritis problems. Both are youngish dogs, one will be 6 and the other will be 6 shortly after the first one. I give the pill in a spoon of moist cat food, a spoon of cottage cheese, or believe it or not a spoon of Cool Whip. Works every time. My one dog, all I have to do is say, want some cottage cheese, and she comes running for her cottage cheese. (12/13/2006)

By Rosa

Giving Pills to Dogs

What I did was to make a peanut butter sandwich and put the pill in side of it. He thought it was a treat. (12/14/2006)

By Joyce wis

Giving Pills to Dogs

Liver sausage. Just a little hides the pill and it slides down easily. I have an older dog and am careful about anything sticky that might not go down quickly. (12/14/2006)

By Jantoo

Giving Pills to Dogs

My daughter has a small older Dachshund who had 13 teeth pulled. He needed pain meds and an antibiotic. After much trial and error, peanut butter, cheese, ice cream, lunchmeat, we tried cooked link sausage which we cut into small sections, inserted the pill and he took it with no problem.

Good luck. (12/16/2006)

By patsAZ

Giving Pills to Dogs

As Tina says, to give pill some help going down, lift the muzzle higher with the palm of one hand under the chin and stroke downwards on the throat with the other until the puppy has swallowed. I rarely have to do this now though as my dog now watches as the pill is buried in some goodie and he then has to catch it. Down the hole without a blink. (12/31/2006)

By solus

Giving Pills to Dogs

Just put it in a 1/2 piece of a Vienna sausage, use the other half to butter the dog up, it works. (07/21/2007)

By Gijoe

Medication for a sick Golden Retriever puppy.
Giving Pills to Dogs
Preventing Heartworms in Dogs
How Do Dogs Get Heartworms?
Aspirin
Giving Dogs Aspirin
Razor For Removing Fabric Pills
Removing Pills From Fabric
pill splitter
Splitting Pills
🎉
🎄