Giving Pills to a Dog

We have a Yorkie that's 1 yr 7 months old. The vet found that Bella has a abnormal liver problem and now she has to take Denamarin everyday. She has been put on a vegetarian diet and cannot have any protein.

Before we realized that she could not have protein at all we were wrapping her pill in cheese and that worked great. Now we have tried putting it in bread and she spits that out. I have put it at the back of her throat and rubbed her throat area with her mouth closed and that worked a few times. She has caught on and gets very upset and has growled at me and tried to bite. I don't want her going thru this everyday and I don't want to either. Is there some other item I could put it in without spending more money. Her food is not cheap and has to be purchased at the vet's office.

By Tammy

Can you grind it up and put it in water or milk or some other liquid? One he's allowed to have of course. Or the food maybe? Is there a canned food you can give? Good luck figuring it out!

I'm not sure if these products will fit in with your dogs diet, but I use peanut butter or creamed honey liberally on a small piece of toast. I grind the tablet up 1st but you could roll the toast in a ball with the honey & pill inside.

I also had to give my doxie Denamarin for a liver problem. I used the chewable, which I broke in half (so one bottle of 30 pills lasted 2 months), according to her weight. Up to 6 lbs -1/4 tablet. 7 to 15 lbs. -1/2 tablet. 16 to 30 lbs. -1 tablet. It's chewable liver flavor so that might be the solution to your problem. My picky dog didn't like the taste so I got Pill Pockets and she liked those.

Of course that would cost you more money for the Pill Pockets but I believe the Denamarin added years to my dogs' life so it was worth it to me. She left us last year at age 17. Good luck!

My husband and I have used whipped cream to give our cocker spaniel his pills for years. Just put the pill on your finger, put a dab of whipped cream large enough to cover the pill, with a little extra on top to make it hard for them to spit it out. Don't let them lick it off your finger, just slide it into the back of their mouths. You don't even have to open their mouth with your other hand (hopefully). Works every time!

I have a 4 year old chihuahua/corgi mix with a seizure disorder. He has to take a 100 mg pill twice a day. Peanut butter was making him gain weight, so I switched to instant mashed potatoes. I don't know if it has too much protein for your dog, but it's worth a look. Just nuke about 1-1 1/2 Tbsp of water in a small bowl for about 15 seconds. Add just enough potato flakes so that it absorbs dry within about 5 seconds and stir really well. I use the handle of the spoon. It molds like a play dough and makes a cheap, easy pill pocket substitute.

It's amazing how fast dogs can pick up on a pill being hidden. It looks like Bella has figured out the pill game and she's such a small girl.

This may sound silly but have you tried cooked / mashed sweet potatoes? They taste great and with Bella being so small you could probably get a good week's servings out of one and it is a vegetable. It's tastier than mashed potatoes and I haven't met any dog that doesn't like a taste of butter.

With any luck, Bella will absolutely love it and won't be suspicious.

Have you researched making your own dog food there is so much a person can do with vegetables.

You could make weekly batches and refrigerate them, it only takes a second or two to warm them up. Check the ingredients on the food you buy from the vet and perhaps you can buy edible dog vitamins and give her one as a treat.

You could count the small serving of sweet potato as part of a meal. My dogs get breakfast and dinner.

Medication for a sick Golden Retriever puppy.
Giving Pills to Dogs
Pets Dogs AdviceApril 2, 2012
Aspirin
Giving Dogs Aspirin
Razor For Removing Fabric Pills
Removing Pills From Fabric
Dog Peeing on Another Dog
Dog Peeing on Another Dog
pill splitter
Splitting Pills
🎉
🎄