Browsing: Growing Figs

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Growing Figs

Are you considering planting a fig tree? In addition to the varieties for the traditional hotter climates, there are some that will thrive even in the Pacific Northwest. This guide is about growing figs.

Two ripe figs hanging on branch.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

August 17, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about fig tree not producing fruit. Having a fruit tree that does not produce fruit is very frustrating.

Fig tree with Fruit

August 29, 2008 Flag

I have a fig tree in my yard. It has many figs on it, however, summer is almost over and none of the figs have ripened. They are still medium-sized and hard, they would probably need to grow a bit larger, then ripen.

With the end of summer, the cooler weather will be coming in and I'm afraid I will not eat one fig at all! Any suggestions? Also, what do I do with the fig tree after the summer? Do I cut it all the way down and wrap it, or do I just prune it to, say, five feet tall, then wrap it to keep it warm? Thank you!

Kelly from Long Island, New York

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

My mother's fig tree was loaded each year AFTER we began to add used coffee grounds and chopped banana peelings to the soil in the spring, and compost all year long for overall health.

(There are several varieties of Fig trees/bushes. Go to the Library and look through gardening encyclopedias to view what sort you may have and what sort does best for your area/zone.)

In the Fall, we pruned many small branches out, leaving it thin enough for birds to fly through. It always lost all leaves, went dormant in winter in Texas, but returned robust in Spring. It requires a lot of water and never got many pests, except squirrels, and a tiny fly that would sometimes bore the fruit. It got morning and noon sun, but shade in the late afternoon.

It appeared that the secret to having ripe fruit was to keep the numbers of branches to a minimum, and to keep evenly watered, not picking the fruit until it LOOKED and tasted ripe. We never pruned anytime other than Fall.

Same here. I'm in North-Central AR, have 2 fig trees. Have been getting a very few good ones off my Brown Turkey, but the Celeste's are all green. All the top ones of the Brown Turkey are not ripening, and now are turning dark and falling off hard and discolored.

Although I have mulched them heavily in years past, I have not fertilized them recently except with some dilute urine earlier in the year. I gave them a bit of rock phosphate for the first time last winter.

It's a magnesium deficiency. I had the same problem with my potted brown turkey. Just mix quarter cup of Epsom salts in bucket of water and pour slowly around base of tree. Fruit should start ripening in a couple of days or you will need another dose

I live in Scotland and have two brown turkey fig tree I took a cutting from the mother tree and is growing well outside the adult tree I have in a greenhouse has a few figs on it I think the trick is to fool the tree in to think winter is on its way just after summer start pulling the leaves off slowly week by week then the figs ripen quicker .

Read More Answers...

June 14, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about growing figs in containers. Figs can successfully be grown in containers as long as you are willing to give them the extra care and maintenance required.

Fig Tree in a pot viewed from above

June 14, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about propagating a fig tree. There are several ways you can propagate a fig tree some are more successful than others.

Branch with a green fig and some young leaves against a white background

August 25, 2011 Flag

Can anyone suggest the best variety of fig for this area? I am actually out on the peninsula in Bremerton west of Tacoma. I grew up in the south and love fresh figs. I have tried the larger fruited green figs and they are an OK choice. I would prefer a brown varietal if that is possible in my area. Thanks in advance.

By Barbara

Best Answer

Check with your local county extension office. They are associated with the Washington State University which will have some gardens which they test grow to see what works in your area.

Friends or neighbors have fig trees that you like? A little rootone and a snippit in either water or your soil mix is easily grown. It takes too long sometimes. I suggest you get to your favorite garden store to see what they have.

July 16, 2012 Flag

What color is a fig on the inside when rips. We have figs getting soft and drooping, but they are white on the inside. Are they ripe?

By Billie

Best Answer

There are three types of fig: the green or white, the grey or red, and the black or purple, the white fig is more adapted to cold weather than the others.

August 19, 2007 Flag

My fig trees are mature and have plenty of figs, but they are no bigger than a quarter for 1 1/2 months. Why?

Joe from Port Chester, NY

Best Answer

I believe this has more to do with the type of fig tree that you have. I have this type also, and a friend who has a nursery said if I want large figs, I should plant a Turkey Fig. I plan to do so this Fall. My fig tree bears all summer, but they are very small figs.

Harlean from Arkansas

Just browsing and found one of my posts from the past. I would like to update this answer. The figs were small on my young trees, but now they are 7 years old, and each year they produce larger figs. The size does depend on the type of fig tree, but mine are now about 3 times the size of the first crop. Mine produce figs from early summer until frost. I live in Hot Springs Arkansas.

March 13, 2010 Flag

My fig tree looks like it has worms. What can I do to treat it?

By Ona from Cape Town, South Africa

I have never heard of this, maybe your county agent can give you some info, good luck.

Add about two tablespoon garlic paste to a jug of water, stir well and spray. Sprinkle wood ashes. Good luck

June 29, 2011 Flag

Yum-yum!

By Rick

Yummy Fig

Home and Garden Gardening Fruit TreesJuly 25, 2011
Two figs with one cut sitting on a leaf.
Freezing Figs
Figs preserved in a jar.
Canning Figs
A bowl of fig jam and some fresh figs.
Fig Jam Recipes
Dried figs in a wooden bowl.
Drying Figs
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 22, 2016 at 2:43:17 AM on 10.0.0.77 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.