Growing Figs

Category Fruit Trees
Are you considering planting a fig tree? In addition to the varieties for the traditional hotter climates, there are some that will thrive even in the Pacific Northwest. This guide is about growing figs.

Green, unripe figs, growing on a fig tree.

Are your figs are not ripening? Check out this guide to find tips and tricks on how to get your figs to ripen.

Fig tree with Fruit

This is a guide about fig tree not producing fruit. Having a fruit tree that does not produce fruit is very frustrating.

Branch with a green fig and some young leaves against a white background

This is a guide about propagating a fig tree. There are several ways you can propagate a fig tree some are more successful than others.

Fig Tree in a pot viewed from above

This is a guide about growing figs in containers. Figs can successfully be grown in containers as long as you are willing to give them the extra care and maintenance required.

I have a brown turkey fig tree. The leaves are coming out good, but some are starting to curl up. The tree is about 4ft and in the open sun. Any ideas?

Mist the leaves. See if that helps. They may need more water.

Anonymous

here in louisiana we are receiving enough rain that should take care of that. thanks

I have the same problem with my recently planted fig.

I like in the UK and last year I was bought a brown Turkey fig tree around 3ft tall. I am unsure of its age. I have espalier it and it is around 10ft wide now and 5.5ft tall. I immediately repotted it so the roots would have ample room for figaro to stretch his legs. I had around 10 figs the first year so I was very happy.

My question is: One of the main branches looks darker on the end and seems to be bendy and moist, not woody or strong at all. Is this a problem? Because I don't know the age or if this is an issue I don't know whether to cut it back to the point it looks OK. Any advice for a sad soft branch? Also no sign of regrowth on this branch (it is 26th Feb in Great Britain).

Please help.

Thank you xxx

You could have a borer infestation. Check and see if there are holes in the branch. If so, call a tree specialist to prevent the tree from dying.

Can you call the nursery where you bought it and ask them? Or are there gardening clubs in the area that could help you?

Definitely look for other signs of disease or infestation (such as bite marks, etc) and I would say, cut it off. There's no way that that's good for the tree.

Common fig issues are fig rust, pink bblight, https://www.gar  ree-diseases.htm

also watch out for this: "Root Knot Nematodes  These very common, invisible roundworms cause damage that can be difficult to diagnose, often mimicking other root diseases. Trees infected with root knot nematodes show a gradual decline, have chronically poor health and arent as vigorous when developing leaves and fruits. Digging a few roots will reveal swollen galls that ultimately block the root system, causing the death of the fig. Root knot nematodes are difficult or impossible to kill, since they protect themselves with the plants own tissues.

Read more at Gardening Know How: Problems With Fig Trees: Common Fig Tree Diseases https://www.gar  seases.htm"

Can anyone suggest the best variety of fig for this area? I am actually out on the peninsula in Bremerton west of Tacoma. I grew up in the south and love fresh figs. I have tried the larger fruited green figs and they are an OK choice. I would prefer a brown varietal if that is possible in my area. Thanks in advance.

By Barbara

Best Answer

Check with your local county extension office. They are associated with the Washington State University which will have some gardens which they test grow to see what works in your area.

Friends or neighbors have fig trees that you like? A little rootone and a snippit in either water or your soil mix is easily grown. It takes too long sometimes. I suggest you get to your favorite garden store to see what they have.

What color is a fig on the inside when rips. We have figs getting soft and drooping, but they are white on the inside. Are they ripe?

By Billie

Best Answer

There are three types of fig: the green or white, the grey or red, and the black or purple, the white fig is more adapted to cold weather than the others.

My fig trees are mature and have plenty of figs, but they are no bigger than a quarter for 1 1/2 months. Why?

Joe from Port Chester, NY

Best Answer

I believe this has more to do with the type of fig tree that you have. I have this type also, and a friend who has a nursery said if I want large figs, I should plant a Turkey Fig. I plan to do so this Fall. My fig tree bears all summer, but they are very small figs.

Harlean from Arkansas

Just browsing and found one of my posts from the past. I would like to update this answer. The figs were small on my young trees, but now they are 7 years old, and each year they produce larger figs. The size does depend on the type of fig tree, but mine are now about 3 times the size of the first crop. Mine produce figs from early summer until frost. I live in Hot Springs Arkansas.

I just bought a brown turkey fig tree (3 ft tall) for my mom. She lives in a trailer home and I'm concerned about where she can store it in winter. She does not have a garage. Any suggestions?
Also, please advise, how can she know (visually) when is the right time to start pruning? She is deaf and disabled so it's easier if I can explain it to her in a visual way if possible.
Lastly, should she replace the soil every year? It was purchased at a nursery, so I know they used great soil. I just need to clarify for her in the future what to do soil-wise. I did get her some fertilizer which I was told she should use this spring. Thank you!

To what height can I cut back a mature fig tree to get it to grow like a bush instead?

By Nancy I

My fig tree looks like it has worms. What can I do to treat it?

By Ona from Cape Town, South Africa

I have never heard of this, maybe your county agent can give you some info, good luck.

Add about two tablespoon garlic paste to a jug of water, stir well and spray. Sprinkle wood ashes. Good luck

I have a potted fig tree and took it inside my garage, as there will be frost very soon. I have read all the information and will water it 1-2 cups every 4 weeks. Although all the leaves have fallen off, there are several unripened figs left. Should I take them off? I plan on planting it in the ground next spring any tips?

By Marianne D.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photographs. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Yum-yum!

By Rick

Yummy Fig

Comment Like this photo? 2