Growing Figs

Are you considering planting a fig tree? In addition to the varieties for the traditional hotter climates, there are some that will thrive even in the Pacific Northwest. This guide is about growing figs.

January 20, 2017 Flag

Green, unripe figs, growing on a fig tree.

CommentPin It!Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Are your figs are not ripening? Check out this guide to find tips and tricks on how to get your figs to ripen.

August 17, 2016 Flag

Fig tree with Fruit

This is a guide about fig tree not producing fruit. Having a fruit tree that does not produce fruit is very frustrating.

June 14, 2016 Flag

Fig Tree in a pot viewed from above

This is a guide about growing figs in containers. Figs can successfully be grown in containers as long as you are willing to give them the extra care and maintenance required.

June 14, 2016 Flag

Branch with a green fig and some young leaves against a white background

This is a guide about propagating a fig tree. There are several ways you can propagate a fig tree some are more successful than others.

August 25, 2011 Flag

Can anyone suggest the best variety of fig for this area? I am actually out on the peninsula in Bremerton west of Tacoma. I grew up in the south and love fresh figs. I have tried the larger fruited green figs and they are an OK choice. I would prefer a brown varietal if that is possible in my area. Thanks in advance.

By Barbara

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Check with your local county extension office. They are associated with the Washington State University which will have some gardens which they test grow to see what works in your area.

Friends or neighbors have fig trees that you like? A little rootone and a snippit in either water or your soil mix is easily grown. It takes too long sometimes. I suggest you get to your favorite garden store to see what they have.

July 16, 2012 Flag

What color is a fig on the inside when rips. We have figs getting soft and drooping, but they are white on the inside. Are they ripe?

By Billie

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

There are three types of fig: the green or white, the grey or red, and the black or purple, the white fig is more adapted to cold weather than the others.

August 19, 2007 Flag

My fig trees are mature and have plenty of figs, but they are no bigger than a quarter for 1 1/2 months. Why?

Joe from Port Chester, NY

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I believe this has more to do with the type of fig tree that you have. I have this type also, and a friend who has a nursery said if I want large figs, I should plant a Turkey Fig. I plan to do so this Fall. My fig tree bears all summer, but they are very small figs.

Harlean from Arkansas

Just browsing and found one of my posts from the past. I would like to update this answer. The figs were small on my young trees, but now they are 7 years old, and each year they produce larger figs. The size does depend on the type of fig tree, but mine are now about 3 times the size of the first crop. Mine produce figs from early summer until frost. I live in Hot Springs Arkansas.

December 31, 2015 Flag

I just bought a brown turkey fig tree (3 ft tall) for my mom. She lives in a trailer home and I'm concerned about where she can store it in winter. She does not have a garage. Any suggestions?

Also, please advise, how can she know (visually) when is the right time to start pruning? She is deaf and disabled so it's easier if I can explain it to her in a visual way if possible.
Lastly, should she replace the soil every year? It was purchased at a nursery, so I know they used great soil. I just need to clarify for her in the future what to do soil-wise. I did get her some fertilizer which I was told she should use this spring. Thank you!

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 13, 2010 Flag

My fig tree looks like it has worms. What can I do to treat it?

By Ona from Cape Town, South Africa

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have never heard of this, maybe your county agent can give you some info, good luck.

Add about two tablespoon garlic paste to a jug of water, stir well and spray. Sprinkle wood ashes. Good luck

February 6, 2015 Flag

To what height can I cut back a mature fig tree to get it to grow like a bush instead?

By Nancy I

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 3, 2014 Flag

I have a potted fig tree and took it inside my garage, as there will be frost very soon. I have read all the information and will water it 1-2 cups every 4 weeks. Although all the leaves have fallen off, there are several unripened figs left. Should I take them off? I plan on planting it in the ground next spring any tips?

By Marianne D.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photographs. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

June 29, 2011 Flag

Yum-yum!

By Rick

Yummy Fig

CommentLike this photo?Like? Yes
Home and Garden Gardening Fruit TreesJuly 25, 2011
Fig Tree in a pot viewed from above
Growing Figs in Containers
Fig tree with Fruit
Fig Tree Not Producing Fruit
Figs Are Not Ripening
Propagating a Fig Tree
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 23, 2017 at 10:12:55 PM on 10.0.1.55 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.