Growing Spider Plants

Category House Plants
Spider Plant on White Background
These indoor house plants with their multitude of baby plants are fun to grow and easy enough for the beginning gardener. This is a guide about growing spider plants.

When you want to propagate those baby spiders, you may wonder what to use if you use the method of cutting it off and growing the roots in water. I am doing this all the time with my big spider plant; I give them to my kids, and place them by the bed for my asthmatic husband.

Here's how I do it: I know many of us drink a lot of 20 oz bottles of soda or water, right? Take one of those, and some ordinary scissors, and cut the bottom off at the bottom of the label. To start I pinch the side of the bottle. Or you can use a knife to start it but be careful! Anyway use that bottom to put two or three babies in and fill it with water.

Then I put it on my window sill (north, if it matters I'm not sure) and check to make sure it doesn't run out of water. In a matter of a couple weeks there will be roots. Then you can put it in rich moist soil, and give it a little extra attention until the roots take hold.

Don't worry about how long you keep them in water to grow the roots, the longer you keep it in water the longer the roots get. I haven't had one die in water.

Source: My first plant was a spider plant, my mom had them since as long as I can remember, and 30 years later she still has the same one!

By Pmorse from Georgetown, DE

Why do some say I'm over watering my spider plants because the leaves and babies are brown, and some say under watering? Which is it?

By Kitty from Indianapolis, IN

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Answers

Anonymous

Here is a link... all about spider plants:

http://www.suit  er-plants-a34831

Actually, it is neither over watering or under watering that causes the leave tips to turn brown. Spider plants do like lots of water, but they need to dry out between watering. They have a great root system that holds plenty of water for them. If you over water, the roots will rot. I find it pretty hard to underwater. I just check the soil and when it's dry (about once a week) i water with distilled water. However, I do mist mine with a water bottle daily as they don't like the dry air in my house. To avoid leaves turning brown, water them with distilled water. It's the chemicals in tap water that cause the tips to turn.

Anonymous

you can also tell if they need water, they actually fade.

My spider plant is getting really full and the leaves are bending. Any suggestions? Is there somthing I should be doing differently? Does it need a bigger pot? Thanks!

You do probably need a bigger pot but also make sure it's getting enough water. when leaves get brittle like tht a lot of times its lack of water.

it will get rootbound if you don't repot it into a bigger pot soon.

I live in a climate where the temperature is about to go down below freezing. It will stay there at night for about 6 more weeks. I have a wonderful spider plant that is doing very well in a quiet protected nook, but I am wondering about the next few weeks.

Should I bring it inside?

By Joan

If you can bring it is, that will be best, but if it is really protected, you may not need to. Just cover it with an old sheet (cotton or poly-cotton blend) or towel, or other non-plastic cloth, and be sure it is well watered. If you can remove the cover during the daytime, great, if not, the cotton will let the plant breathe and it should be fine.

I agree (zone 4 upstate NY). We get much colder weather so I have to bring everybody inside but if it's mildly cold (I know that term is relative), consider leaving it outside in a protected place and covered as the above suggested. Remember it still needs water though!

I live in Phoenix and my spider plants just recently started showing what looks like hard water stains on leaves. They are getting the same water as before and I mist every morning or afternoon. They do not get any full sun, being in Arizona it is 108 degrees F. What can I do?

By Lori

Try using distilled / bottled water. It may just be that your tap water is hard.

I have the same thing on my Peoni Bush this year. Had it last year too. Somebody told me it's the city water? Maybe too much chlorine in the water? Also, my Peoni did not bloom this year. Any thoughts on that, anyone? Thanks,

Kathy, Zone 5

My spider plant is dying. Can I put it in a cup of water and try to save it?

Of course. And keep an eye on it to make sure the container remains full. Too, if you have little "spider" shoots, cut them off and set them in their own glasses of water until they take root.

I have plenty of spider plants which have lots of babies on them. I use to keep them in my bay window and in direct sunlight. I now live in a basement apartment and I have them near the window, but not in direct sun. Do they need a lot of sun? Also some leaves are turning brown. What should I do?

By Jo from CT

They don't need to be in direct sunlight as long as they get some. If they are turning brown than you should try to crack a window and make sure they are getting enough fresh air. That always works with my plants.

My spider plant was outside all summer and it was doing great and now I've brought it inside for the winter and it's starting to die. The leaves are turning yellow and brown and falling off. The offspring is also starting to turn yellow. What do I need to do to save my plant?

By Kristy

Here are some tips on keeping Spider Plants healthy:

http://housepla  /SpiderPlant.htm

Here is a video on them as well:

http://www.yout  ch?v=GWZAuJtRekw

Blessings, Robyn

What environment is needed by spider plants?

By Thamilla P

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Photo Description
I've had this spider plant (Chlorophytum comosum) for years and this year it flowered for the very first time. The flowers are very small, but quite pretty and delicate.

Photo Location
England UK

Comment Like this photo? 2

How can I keep the tips of my Spider plant leaves from turning brown? Everyone I've ever tried to grow has done this on every leaf.

Hardiness Zone: 7b

By Cricketnc from Parkton, NC

Answers:

Spider Plant Leaf Tips Turn Brown

Rule of thumb is brown tips, not enough water, yellow leaves too much water or not enough light. I have learned the best way to water is in my kitchen sink. I fill it almost full with tepid water than add some liquid plant food, insert the plants as many as I can fit as possible and let set for an hour. Then I drain them in my dish drainer and return them to their proper spot.

I also read that with spider plants you must feed them every time you water. When you just water from the top till it comes out the bottom it is not truly getting all the dirt moist, where as soaking them for an hour they really drink up the water. Always cut away dead or yellow leaves to keep it healthy. I have gotten many new spider plants from the shoots that I root in water and then plant. Good luck and I hope this helps. (07/09/2009)

By LULUbobo

Spider Plant Leaf Tips Turn Brown

Tips of the leaves are turning brown because the plant is transpiring. It is getting too much water. (10/22/2009)

By Jeannette1940

Why does my spider plant tip always turn brown?

Hardiness Zone: 5b

By William from Waterville, ME

Answers:

Spider Plant Leaf Tips Turn Brown

I always associate that with lack of humidity. You might try setting the plant on a saucer of stones or marbles, and keep water in the saucer. If you are hanging it, you might mist it regularly. (03/09/2010)

By Jilson

Spider Plant Leaf Tips Turn Brown

It's supposedly normal. I found a great site here:
http://www.ext.nodak.edu/extnews/hortiscope/houseplnts/spider.htm

That answers a lot of those kinds of questions. (03/12/2010)

By Jron7667

Spider Plant Leaf Tips Turn Brown

The plant is transpiring, you are over watering it and this will cause the tips of the leaves to brown. They can not get rid of all the water you are giving it. Ease up on the watering. Spider plants love to be plant bound, this forces more shoots and babies to come out. All for now. (03/12/2010)

By jeannette1940

Q: Just wondering if anyone knows the best way to get a new plant from my spider plant that is making babies. I've heard (or read) that you can put them in water (to make roots) or plant them in a new pot full of dirt. I have also heard that the sprouts will just grow as a plant? I would like to know the best way as I have about 15 to do something with, and no green thumb.

Thanks,
Tami from Charleston, SC

A: Tami,

You can root spider plant babies in water or soil. Putting them in water will cause them to root the fastest (2 to 3 weeks). Alternatively, rooting them in soil will produce hardy, more adaptable roots over the long haul. If you want to root them in water, use either a narrow necked bottle (so only the baby bottoms touch the water) or use Popsicle sticks, chop sticks or skewers to create a square support over a jar with a wide mouth. Spider plants also love getting outside in the summer, and since you have so many babies to root, this might be a good option for you. Simply move you plant outdoors and peg down the babies into the surrounding soil using bobby pins, baggy ties, etc. At the end of summer, bring the mother plant back indoors and you'll have 15 new spider plants to dig up and share with friends.

Ellen

About The Author: Ellen Brown is our Green Living and Gardening Expert. Click here to ask Ellen a question! Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at http://www.sustainable-media.com

Answers:

Planting Spider Plant Babies

This is so simple that even a person with a brown thumb will come out looking like a gardening pro. All you have to do is cut the baby off the mommy plant. Then place it in a pot of dirt with the leaves above the dirt. Water and you are done! (05/01/2006)

By Ginny

Planting Spider Plant Babies

You don't even have to cut off the plant - just put the sprout in a new container of potting soil and let it root before cutting. I have outdoor spider plants in Calif. that are propagating themselves outside without my help! (05/01/2006)

By

Planting Spider Plant Babies

I've had better luck starting the babies in water first. Once some roots have grown, then I put the plant in soil. I've tried putting them directly into soil--it didn't work so well for me (but then, I'm a pretty lazy gardener!). Just put the baby in a container almost full of water and float the "root stubs" in it. I like using glass jars, so I can watch the roots grow, and narrow mouth is best so the plant doesn't fall in! Good luck!
**I added some new babies into the original "mommy" pot to fill it out--the mommy can die back a bit as more water and nutrients go to support the babies. Worked great! (05/02/2006)

By Marisa

Planting Spider Plant Babies

The only way I have done it is to cut the baby and place it in water. They have always rooted very easily. I didn't know you could just place in dirt without them having roots first or even removing them from the plant first, but it is good to know. I have 4 babies I need to do something with before my cat gets them. (05/31/2006)

By Mrs.Rem05

Planting Spider Plant Babies

Sorry, I'm a novice at this, but do you place the spiderplant baby's stalk in water or the head of the baby?

Steven (07/20/2007)

By

Planting Spider Plant Babies

Spider plants are so easy, I wouldn't worry so much about it! You can place the ends in water to let the root, or just simply place them in soil in a pot (ends only, ofcourse!) - they will take off and grow! They are about as prolific as the Wandering Jew plant (which I adore!).

A lot of people around here (southern Virginia) plant them in their outdoor gardens, and most seem to make it through the winter. I'm planning to plant a few baby plants today, and see how they do outside.

Good luck! (04/04/2008)

By Sasha

Planting Spider Plants (ground or container)

Can Spider Plants servive in the Tucson, Az outdoor weather and in the ground near pool areas..How much sum can they take? (03/02/2009)

By Rebecca Deal

Planting Spider Plant Babies

I put my baby spider plants in a glass of water, not to deep in the water. Once the roots start showing transfer them into soil. Spiders plants love to be pot bound, so don't put them in a big pot. When the roots grow close together, it forces, more growth and babies at the top. jjs (10/22/2009)

By jeannette1940